Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a 6.5 month old female puppy who is a mix between a German Shepard and a Golden Retriever a few days ago. She not mine I'm fostering her but I noticed that when she sits down if you place your hand by her hip (not pressing just laying there) her hip pops every time she moves or sits down. Sometimes you can even hear it pop. I'm pretty sure they get all of the dogs checked for hip dysplasia but this doesn't seem right but maybe I'm just overreacting. Any ideas?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Hip Dysplasia checks aren't normally a part of basic vet checks. Most non-breeding dogs are never checked for it, unless they show symptoms. I'd mention the possibility of HD to the rescue/shelter (or whatever group you're fostering for) so she can be fully checked out.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I foster for an agency that trains dogs to be service dogs specifically for children.
Oh, hmm, they might do a HD check for all dogs routinely, because of the nature of the work. I'd still let them know about the popping, so the vet can do a more in-depth check on her. It might just be growing pains, but she should be checked out just in case.

·
Registered
98 Posts
GSds and Goldens both have high rates of dysplasia they have almost the same rate of Ex Good Fair and dysplastic dogs on the OFA site popping hips may indicate laxity in the joint I would be concerned

1 - 6 of 6 Posts