Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup! Carsten just embarrassed me so bad by being ill-mannered on the trail. He was walking along so nice on leash so I let my mother take him. She is 70 years old and tiny. She walks him from time to time but usually when there is not much going on around him. She takes Oliver when it is too busy because he ignores most everything. Carsten is still a little puppyish and gets away with things when grandma has the lead.
So anyway, today we were walking in the wooded trails at a local park. Not too much traffic, a few bikers, and a few groups of walkers. All was going well until a little black Lab puppy came along with it's owner. Cute as could be, about 5 months old and acting the Lab puppy all the way. It was dragging it's owner, jumping, leaping and just being a silly little out of control puppy. The owner says to him, "don't even think about it, that dog is big enough to eat you" referring to Carsten. My mother was a little too relaxed and said "He doesn't eat dogs" and right on Que, Carsten jumps straight up into the air and ROARS!!! I told him to knock it off and he did but the owner of the dog and the few people with her had eyes like saucers. They calmed down once they saw him follow the command right away but I was so mad at him for doing that anyway.
I don't expect my dogs to be perfect. I do expect them to NEVER scare people. I mean, never add to fears that already exist in people anyway. The people were wonderful about it and fully aware that the lunging puppy sort of instigated it but still..... I HATE when my dog acts poorly in public.

Anyone else want to share some embarrassing stories about your dogs?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Eevee did the exact same thing once when I walked into one of my old jobs. I came through the door and was heading toward the grooming area, when this big lab lunged at her, and she went into a snarling frenzy till I told her to "knock it off." I was super embarrassed!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Alvin is a constant embarassment with strangers because he simply doesn't care about them. Someone will stop me on the street and ask if he's friendly, to which I reply, "He is polite and he won't hurt you, but no, he isn't friendly." They go ahead and pet him or talk to him and he does nothing. Doesn't wag, doesn't sniff, nothing. A stranger can get down on the ground in front of him and he won't even make eye contact. Sometimes he'll even wander off to sniff a bush or a light pole, instead. I always feel like I have to apologize on his behalf.

My last dog, Cameo, was totally out of control. She was the smartest dog with which I have ever had the privilege to share my home, but she was waaaaay to assertive for my dog knowledge at the time. I had no idea how to deal with her. She was also 90lbs of Doberman and German Shepherd. I was only 11-years-old (and therefore about 100lbs) when my family got her.

I sometimes tried to take her for a walk, which was always a challenge. We were sitting on the front lawn together, recovering after one such attempt, when my neighbor came to have a chat. In mid conversation Cammy saw something she simply HAD to investigate further and she lept up and went charging down the street, dragging my across the lawns on my stomach as I frantically clung to the leash. She must have pulled me across three houses worth of grass before I finally got to my feet. Needless to say, it was difficult to face my neighbor as I walked back into the house.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Kenya usually does so well at training but then we got to the last part of the last day of class and she decides to be a NIGHTMARE. on the heel, she pulled me so hard I fell and scraped both my knees with her trying to get to another dog. I drop the lead and she runs away from me, and proceeds to play keep away. when I finally do catch her, with everyone staring and laughing, she jumps up on me and knocks me on the ground..
It was awful!!
I ofcourse had to take the Basic 1 class again lol

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We might as well stop this thread here. I don't see how anyone will be able to top this.
Well, Oliver peed on the Animal control officer who's house I went to to help her train her new dog. How is that for embarrassing? LOL

I am feeling better now knowing I am not the only one who's dog on occasion choses to make a fool of.

Anyone else? How about anyone who might want to buy a Rottweiler... Cheap! ;)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
My roommate's dog, Hughbert, is a constant source of embarrassment. I've been working with him but he's got a long way to go.

At the DP, he jumps all over people. Of course he's a small dog so it's cute*grumblegrumble*. She's says, "Sorry, he's a people dog". No, no he's not. He's a dog lacking in any manners! Gah! I spend all this time working with him and all they do is reinforce his bad behavior!
*Storms out*

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yeah, i know what you mean..

It just happened to me, i was walking Apollo, and met a couple who were interested in him and they had a poodle mix with them...

Their kid just screams ''Watch it! they might fight!!''
I just said ''Don't worry my dog isn't aggressive unless he is provoked or menaced'' and INSTANTLY, the poodle mix snarled and jumped at Apollo,and Apollo just grabbed him by the neck and threw the dog some 4 feet, obviously the dog backed away instantly, but Apollo obeyed my commands instantly and sat down.

I was a bit embarrased, but the couple's dog wasn't on a leash, not even a collar, so they were looking for it.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
lol..I had taken her to potty at a rest stop but she apparently wasn't done. it was a little tiny poo but a poo on the lap nonetheless.

and it can be topped. I or rather bolo can top it...but im not going there...*shudders*

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Nubs decided that he had enough with a yappy little Chi and yanked me off of my feet and dragged me a few feet before I was able to catch my breath and tell him to "leave it".

The owners were right there and they were scared to DEATH. The woman ran over and grabed her dog (which was behind the fence) and gave me the DIRTIEST look ever.

*sighs* it's ok though, a few weeks later her dog was in the front yard and decided to bark and run at us. I put Nubs in a sit/stay while she stood there and just yelled at her Chi. I have never been more honored to hear the woman say "Well, I'm glad ONE of us has our dog trained" looking at Nubs.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Alvin is a constant embarassment with strangers because he simply doesn't care about them.
I feel that way about Uallis sometimes too. He just isn't too interested in people when we are out around town. I think that people expect him to be really rowdy and playful and he just...isn't. They seem to get disappointed because he doesn't want to play with them.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Ripley is leash reactive, so he can be pretty embarrassing to walk. He is well trained and a sweet dog really, but he has his moments on leash. He usually just reacts to other dogs, but the most embarrassing one was when he barked/growled/lunged at a baby in a stroller...I'm 99% sure it was the stroller and not the baby at least, but still...second most embarrassing was when he growled at an old lady sweeping off her porch...again, pretty sure it was the motion of the broom, but the lady said in a shocked little voice, "oh, he's aggressive isn't he?" and I felt like idiot owner of the year saying, "Uh, he's not usually like this..."

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Poca pooped on MY lap at a big dog parade with 1,000 dogs and their owners, all of whom, at that moment, had better behaved dogs than mine. :eek: And just for the record, these were not little poops - it was a full throttle, going for broke kind of poop. Yay.

P.S. And I will take Carsten any time you want to send him over!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
When I was recuperating from knee surgery, Rusty the (then) adolescent Golden Retriever's behavior was spinning further and further out of control. I called a professional trainer to the house, hoping for some strategies for effecting improved canine behavior from crutches.

Within about 15 minutes, Rusty had snatched the bag of treats out of his jacket pocket, snatched his gloves out of his rear pocket, dropped the gloves at his feet and snatched his hat when he bent down to pick them up, wrapped his leash around the trainer's legs and knocked him to the ground, and a couple of other things. I actually felt much better when this highly recommended pro (who really does know his stuff) got PO'd enough to swear at my dog. He apologized profusely, but I was just happy to see the dog make a monkey of someone else for a change.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Smalls is extremely reactive, so we're always working when we're walking. One day it's later at night and no one is out, so I figured we can take all three of the dogs for a walk at once. Walk goes smoothly, no pulling on her part, so I'm walking her and Jonas while my boyfriend has Jack. Our neighbors are out on the porch on the way back, and have their three little chis with them (they're well behaved and just stay on the porch) just as the guy is commenting how well they all walk together, Smalls sees the chi's and LOSES it (she's a Beagle X Lab, so she's got a huge hound dog howl). Of course, that spooks Jonas, and they cross leashes and he zips under and around my legs and she charges forward. I go flying and on my way down my hand clocks Jack in the face and he SCREAMS like I've beaten him and nearly yanks my boyfriend's arm off. I just laid there laughing. It was so embarrassing it was all I could do.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
After a short time at the DP, Abba will transform into a crotchety old man. When a dog comes near him, he gets growly. I know it's just vocalizing, but other owners kinda freak out. It sounds very intimidating.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
After a short time at the DP, Abba will transform into a crotchety old man. When a dog comes near him, he gets growly. I know it's just vocalizing, but other owners kinda freal out. It sounds very intimidating.
Kaki does the same thing. In my mind she's saying,"I played. I'm done. Shoo little doggy".
She also seems to think that every human other than myself/roommate is just background noise. Walking around Denver, you get a lot of people that want to pet your dog or the dogs play. Kaki always has the same 'shoo fly' demeanor.
Once a man at the dog park decided to rough-house with her. I was pissed. You don't play rough with a dog you don't know very well! She tried to bite him. I called her to me. She came. He tried to tell me that my dog shouldn't be at the DP.

Hughbert was sitting on my lap at the coffee shop. Suddenly, I smelled something awful. I thought he had farted. Nope! His butt leaked all over the armrest!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Kim sniper licked our director of training straight on the mouth the other day...

She was invited over and sat pretty as you please (this is part of her innocent-well-behaved-dog ploy), then right when the woman relaxed and looked away Kim did a vertical leap from the sit, all four paws in the air, and licked the woman, who was standing upright, across the face.

To be fair I think somehow Kim's tongue is the only thing that touched the woman so she technically didn't jump on her...at least by the definition she learned:rolleyes:

Some people's dogs...I swear...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Smalls is extremely reactive, so we're always working when we're walking. One day it's later at night and no one is out, so I figured we can take all three of the dogs for a walk at once. Walk goes smoothly, no pulling on her part, so I'm walking her and Jonas while my boyfriend has Jack. Our neighbors are out on the porch on the way back, and have their three little chis with them (they're well behaved and just stay on the porch) just as the guy is commenting how well they all walk together, Smalls sees the chi's and LOSES it (she's a Beagle X Lab, so she's got a huge hound dog howl). Of course, that spooks Jonas, and they cross leashes and he zips under and around my legs and she charges forward. I go flying and on my way down my hand clocks Jack in the face and he SCREAMS like I've beaten him and nearly yanks my boyfriend's arm off. I just laid there laughing. It was so embarrassing it was all I could do.
I laughed, made my hubby read this.:D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts