Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
He's been sneezing with a runny nose for a few days. But this morning he started with the hacking/coughing. So I took him into the vet and it was confirmed. He has kennel cough :(

So aside from the Clavaseptin that he is now on, and keeping him away from other dogs and the park til this is cleared up, is there anything else I can do to help or relieve his discomfort? I've heard that keeping him in the bathroom with me when I have a shower so he can get the benefits of the steam may help a little. Is this true?

Of all the dogs I've ever had, he is the first to get Kennel Cough. SO I just want to make sure I do all I can to help him.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Kennel cough is like a bad cold. And, it has to run its course. If you let it go, it can turn into pneumonia (You didn't, you went to the Vet).
I think there are some over the counter anti-cough drugs that you can try... but only with explicit permission from the Vet.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kennel cough is like a bad cold. And, it has to run its course. If you let it go, it can turn into pneumonia (You didn't, you went to the Vet).
I think there are some over the counter anti-cough drugs that you can try... but only with explicit permission from the Vet.
Thanks hanksimon. I actually called my vet this morning and he said I could give Bentley Robitussin DM. Which has helped with the coughing A LOT thankfully! We may actually get through this with both of our sanity's still in tact (the coughing is maddening and I feel so bad for him).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
at least he wont ever need a bordatella vaccine!
He did get a bordatella vaccine with his puppy shots. I knew there was still a chance he could get it due to the different strains. But are you saying that now that he has had kennel cough he won't ever get it again? I always figured that since there were different strains of it, it could be caught more than once.

·
Banned
122 Posts
He did get a bordatella vaccine with his puppy shots. I knew there was still a chance he could get it due to the different strains. But are you saying that now that he has had kennel cough he won't ever get it again? I always figured that since there were different strains of it, it could be caught more than once.
well, you can get a sample and determine which strain it is he has now. then if what he has now was in the vaccine thats on the market, you can forgo getting it. and file a complaint to the vaccine manufacturer while youre at it. :p

if it isnt "covered" in the vaccine, then i suppose you would keep vaccinating against bordatella.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For Kennel Cough we use eucalyptus oil and steam treatments in the bathroom 2x a day for the first few weeks! We would set up the humidifier in the bathroom with the E Oil in it, shut the bathroom door for a bit and let it build up then take them in and sit with them :) We also make up a squirt bottle with the eucalyptus oil and sanitize dog beds, couches blankets ect. My dogs have only gotten KC once in the past 6 yrs or so and this worked wonders! We did not use meds at all and they got over it pretty quickly! We do not give bordetella vacs anymore, there are so many different strains of KC there really is no point, it would be like trying to vaccinate against a common cold for us.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
at least he wont ever need a bordatella vaccine!
First, it is a misconception that "kennel cough" is always caused by a bordatella infection. Other common causes are viruses such as adenovirus infection and parainfluenza infection. Often, multiple infections at that same time. Also, canine flu - a fairly serious viral infection - exhibits many of the same symptoms.

Second, a bordatella vaccination - or a bordatella infection - confers immunity for only a short time - a year or less. That's because it is a bacteria, not a virus. There aren't really different strains as such, so that isn't a factor. However, exposure to other dogs - and certain other animals - is a high risk factor. Also, environments where a lot of dog congregate - shows, trials, training facilities, day care, dog parks, etc - are high risk factors. If your life-style is such that your dog is at risk, he does need a yearly vaccination if you want to minimize his chances of being infected. But if your dog is mainly a 'house dog' or is otherwise not exposed to such risks, it is much less essential.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts