Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so bad...

So, my younger sister came over tonight with her newest find, 2 8-ish week old kittens that she found in a dumpster at the local grocery store. There was 3, but she already found a home for one. Her story sounds kinda fishy since the kittens are in really great shape. Not underweight at all, no runny eyes, no sneezing, but you can tell they haven't been held much. They are pretty scared of people.

So I was holding onto one of them ooohhhing and awwwing over it, when Nubs jumped up and tried to grab the kitten in my arms. Out of instinct I kneed him in his chest and then walked into him making him walk backwards 3ft into a corner (didn't mean for it to be in a corner) and I just said "BAD NUBS!" once. I do this when I don't want him to do something and I need it to get through his thick skull. Never had issues with it before.

Poor Nubs crouched down so low when I did this, then did something I've never seen him do before. He peed in fear then ran and hid down the stairs that lead outside. I've never hit this dog, only raised my voice because I know that is all it takes. I feel horrible! He's ok now, but it took him 10 mins to come out of his "I'm sorry, don't hurt me!" shell. Poor thing!

My mother was shocked over it all. She has only seen the confident side of Nubs, never the fearful side that I've worked very hard on getting rid of. Every once in a while when Nubs encounters a new object he barks and runs from it, but my mom thought it was because my EX abused Nubs with that object (NOPE! He wouldn't harm an animal like that) not that Nubs is actually not as confident of a dog as he seems.

Poor thing. I don't think I'll have the heart to kick him off of my bed tonight. Looks like I have a cuddle buddy tonight.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Aww, poor Nubs, but you did the right thing. If that method has worked before, you couldn't have known how harshly he seemed to take it.

Bed buddies are my favourite :) I hope Nubs doesn't steal the whole bed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts