Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping I can get some unbiased opinions from dog-lovers.

I live in an apartment house that allows us to have dogs (obviously).

I have a neighbor who has a 1 yr old Lab. Her and I are on "neighborly" terms...the "hello, how are you?...nice day..." type of thing. She is a super sweet person! However, she is NEVER home. I assume she must work two jobs or something. Her dog is alone ALL day and night crated in a bedroom. She comes home for half an hour or so once -sometimes twice a day. But mostly out of 24 hours she is home maybe 1-2 of those hours. I see her bring the dog out and walk him for about 10 minutes up the road and back, gives him some food and leaves again. This isn't a now and then type of situation - it is just about every day.

The dog is absolutely miserable. As soon as she leaves he is barking, howling and crying. Now, it's not the noise that bothers me so much as I feel sooooooo bad for the dog! (Although I was none too happy this morning when I was woken up at 5am!!!) I am really surprised the people above her have not complained yet. It goes on all day and night.

I just don't know if I should say something to her? I do not want any bad neighbor juju...but maybe she doesn't know how miserable her dog is?!? (Although how anyone could NOT know that leaving a dog alone for 22 hours a day...EVERYDAY is not damaging is beyond me!) I also don't want to mention something to her then have the people upstairs from her complain to the landlord about the barking and have her think it was me. I don't want to get her in trouble...she was already spoken to a couple times about not picking up after the dog.

Then again, maybe she will see that she either needs to change her schedule (if possible - I don't know her personal agenda), hire someone to come take the dog for a few hours a day (I offered to twice, but she never answered me)...or give the dog to someone who can give him the love, attention and emotional support he deserves. Ha! - sometimes she's out in the yard with him and is flabbergasted and flustered because of all his energy - I have to bite my tongue when she says to me "I can't believe how hyper he is!" Jeeze!!!

I just don't know how to go about doing anything about it - if anything. Should I tell the landlord that the dog barks day and night and they can deal with it? (even though - like I said, I'm not complaining about the noise...but the fact that the poor thing is being neglected really REALLY bothers me). Or should I say something to her....somehow? How do I say something without seeming critical or insulting?

I don't know. But it bothers me SO much I actually started crying one night when I KNEW she hadn't been home that day for 26 hours....nobody else was checking on him either.

Other people have told me to call the authorities....but where does the abuse or neglect line begin? She seems to come home once a day (once every 12 - 24 hours) to feed and let him out...but jeeze! How can anyone hold their water and bowels for that long?!?!

Sorry for the long post....hoping fellow dog and animal lovers can give me some advise.

Thanks for listening!

:(

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If it were me, I'd ask her if she would be interested in me dogsitting for a very small fee. She probably feels bad, but doesn't know what else to do.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I would probably say something to her first... if you were willing to, maybe even offer to walk her dog once a day? If she was rude about it and refused to do anything about the situation, then I'd take it up with the landlord.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you have time I would definitly offer to walk the dog.You can always make the excuse that you need an exercise partner.Maybe even just a couple times a week if thats all you can do.You never know she may end up giving you the dog.Some people realize to late they are not dog people but feel like if they rehome it they are doing something even more horrible...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I would say that your dog wants a doggy friend and would it be ok if you took them for a walk together? or on a play date during the day when she is not home.
if she is not willing to do anything then take it to animal control, Im sure they will be willing to look into it and do what they think is best. often they don't want to take the dog away but they do want to help out.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did offer twice already to check in on him and let him out when she wasn't there...But she looked almost embarrassed and didn't give me a "sure!" or a "no, thanks"...she said nothing both times. I know she isn't the neatest person on earth...(I can sometimes smell the trash smell coming into my apartment)...she probably doesn't want anyone seeing how she lives (or how her dog and three plus cats live...since she's never there).

I guess I should get up the courage to say something to her (I probably won't see her again until who knows when). Not like there can be bad neighbor blood if one neighbor is not around. I'm just afraid my emotions will get the best of me and I'll come across as being mean.

He's still barking and howling over there....this is killing me :(

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
IMO you need to think of the dog. Tell the landlord since you don't see her often. Or leave a note on her door. Not saying anything is worse than offending her.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I would say that your dog wants a doggy friend and would it be ok if you took them for a walk together? or on a play date during the day when she is not home.
if she is not willing to do anything then take it to animal control, Im sure they will be willing to look into it and do what they think is best. often they don't want to take the dog away but they do want to help out.
Unfortunately the poor dog is sooooooo hyper and has so much pent up energy Bella wants nothing to do with him...she is rather strict and tries to discipline him (although he outweighs her by 20 lbs). I wouldn't even want to TRY to walk this dog! He is a BIG lab...and not trained. But I would definitely be willing to let him out to get some air, relieve himself (I'm sure he has to go in the crate) and tie him up on the big run I have for Bella in the yard and play some ball with him...but she didn't give me an answer both times I offered. <<<sigh>>>

IMO you need to think of the dog. Tell the landlord since you don't see her often. Or leave a note on her door. Not saying anything is worse than offending her.
The note sounds like a good idea. That way I can edit my feelings, too. I am writing it now. I might copy it here so you all can tell me if it's okay.

Thanks!!!!!!

Okay...here is the note....let me know if you would be offended by it!

"Hi Suzie,

Please – don’t take this note the wrong way! I wanted to chat with you in person, but I don’t know when I'll run into you again….which is part of the reason I am leaving you this note.

I know you must be working either two jobs or VERY long hours. However - as I’m sure you know - Mr. M has been very unhappy about that! I wanted to let you know before the neighbors complained about the noise. He barks, howls and cries when you are gone. It’s not so much the noise that bothers me (although I did say a few choice words to myself at 5:00 this morning!) ….but it is very upsetting to listen to and know that he is very, very upset.

I offered a couple times to let him out and play with him for a bit when you are not home, but you never responded. I would be more than willing to help you out with Mr. M. - It would make me feel better as well.

I know you probably have no control over your schedule, but please know that I am concerned about Mr. M’s well-being. I do not plan on complaining to anyone…that is the LAST thing I want to do. You are a very sweet person; you have known my Dad for years…so if you are worried about me being in your apartment, you don’t have to worry. But it seems like you need some help in juggling the job/pet thing. I love kitties too! So I can give them some playtime, also!

I really hope you don’t take this note as any type of insult. But it kills me listening to Mr. M cry. I want to help".

:confused:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
That note is good.
If it were me, I'd offer to watch the dog a lot. Spend time training, walking, socializing.
That poor dog.
26 hours!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Note sounds good; however, you must be prepared for her not letting you help. Then you will have to do something to help the dog. Her feelings are unimportant if she refuses your offer. Mr. M MUST be your main concern, IMHO. :)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I left the note on her door. She just came home a few minutes ago...took the dog and left. My door was open but she didn't come over....I wasn't going to confront her. But if things don't change ...you're right...I will have to do something. How can anybody leave a dog crated (or just alone in general) for that long? Why have a dog? I don't get it. I feel guilty about leaving Bella alone for 8-9 hrs when I'm at work and it's not a daycare day! If any of my neighbors ever told me she was crying and barking the whole time, I'd find a way to have her taken care of every day. If not, I'd have to give her to someone who could...although that would absolutely RUIN me, it would be best for her.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think it was very kind of you to offer three times now to help her with her dog. If she still doesn't accept your help, I think you will have to accept that she won't ever accept your help.

I also agree with previous posters. Mr. M has to be your top concern.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, she came back and I just spoke with her - she wasn't mad at all. She said she was very thankful that I let her know...she didn't know he was that upset (!!?!?!) She thanked me for being so thoughtful to offer to bring him out and says she could use the help since she is working two jobs - but she still didn't give me an answer, but thanked me and said she'd let me know.

She is such a sweet person. And Mr. M is such a doll. I would love to be able to help both of them....

...we shall see....

I'd dog-nap Mr. M...but don't think I could handle him AND Bella!! :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts