Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a dog from the LA pound. Today was his one week anniversary in his new home. He got neutered a week ago and by about Friday he was full of energy but started coming down with a cold. I also found worms in his stool earlier in the week so I took him to the vet on Saturday to get treated for that. They gave me 2 orange pills and we made him take them in the office...they said it should kill all worms. So, he didn't really eat Saturday and I believed it to be because of the medicine...then his cough got worse at night. He woke me up a few times with his coughing. Sunday it was about the same...worse in the morning...he was coughing and spitting a little but no phlegm. Then Sunday night which was last night at about 3am he woke up with a horrible coughing fit and vomited about 1/4 cup of light green phlegm. He hasn't thrown up any more since then and it's almost been 24 hours. He has been coughing a lot though. Usually only when he moves, if he's laying down he's usually fine. His breathing is okay, he's not wheezing...but when he starts to cough it sounds absolutely horrible, like he's gasping for air...that usually lasts about 30-45 seconds. If I place my hand on his chest he usually stops in a few seconds. He hasn't really eaten since Saturday, just a few bits here and there. I was going to take him to the vet today when I got home but they were all closed. I found a vet nearby that's open until 9pm tomorrow so if he isn't better we are going as soon as I get home. I'm really worried about the little guy though. Does anyone have any experience with this? It sounds too bad to be Kennel Cough.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I would call and talk to your vet. It could be kennel cough or something else entirely. Just call, explain your situation. If its nothing, they should let you know. If they think its serious, they will let you know to come in.

Hope he feels better!

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Agreed! I would definitely take him to the vet asap.

Poor guy ... I hope he gets in quickly and starts to feel better.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If it sounds like a dry, hacking cough it could be a bad case of kennel cough. It could just sound so bad because he's had it for a bit and his throat is very irritated from all the coughing/bacteria (could also be the cause of the vomiting). I would take him as soon as possible to get him started on the meds because it could turn into Pneumonia if left untreated for too long. I'm sure the neutering didn't help since he's trying to recover from that as well as this coughing thing.

Is he your only dog? If you have any other dogs I would take them in as well to get a prescription just in case, as Kennel Cough is very contagious. I'm surprised your vet didn't address the coughing when you brought him in for the worms, since KC is so common from the shelter life.

Hope your baby feels better soon.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I am surprised they didn't treat for kennel cough right away when he heard him cough. Every time someone gets a dog from a shelter I tell them don't be surprised if they start coughing soon or in a week or so...I would say close to 90% of the dogs we check after coming home from a shelter in our area come down with it soon after getting home. or are already being treated for it. Super common. and impossible to keep out of a shelter completely. even when they are vaccinated for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the responses! I took Dante to the vet today. Doctor said he was VERY worried about him because he hadn't been eating. They said it might be Parvo which was super scary. They ran the test and luckily it was negative. He said that the lungs and heart sounded good as well....which was worrisome since that would've told them if it was respiratory or not. They gave him some antibiotics, cough pills, and a steroid. I'm praying he gets better soon, or at least shows signs of getting better so I don't have to continue worrying. It's really sad to see him inhibited from getting excited to see me because he's coughing so much. Pray for Dante.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a very dry and hacking cough. I'm praying it's just the worst case of Kennel cough out there. My poor little guy. Worst part, he has warmed up so well with me and my roommates. We live in a very busy area and there are always a lot of people around and before he got sick I'd take him on walks and he was so eager to play with other dogs and meet people. Now, he's just too weak and crummy to even move around much. It's very sad. Do you know about how long it'll take for him to at least get back into his groove? Also, I was able to give him his medicine by burying it in little hot dog pieces. Luckily he was down to eat hot dogs. However, he will hardly touch his dry food...in fact, I'd be surprised if he even had a bite of it today. On Saturday he went crazy over these treats I got him, now, he won't even bother to sniff them. The not eating is very worrisome. Any advice on that?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Kennel cough can get pretty aggressive in some cases. Either way the medications for it are pretty universal so it should treat mostly anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, he seems to be doing a little better. Maybe not, but it seems to have stopped getting worse. I bought some wet food this evening and gave it to him. He went to TOWN on that food. I was very surprised and very happy that he was eating. Dogs eat whatever, but he went so long without eating it that it was scaring me. I guess he really didn't like that dry stuff. He had his first bath today and he's smelling and looking good. Hoping this cold will run it's course sooner rather than later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts