Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get up this morning and Chester's eye is all gooky and shut. He's looking at me like this

I let him come into the bathroom while I shower so the moisture of the steam helps all the dried ick loosen up a bit and he opens his eye enough for me to see an obvious injury to the surface, right in the center of his eye. Poor guy, that has to hurt.
Off to the vet we go as soon as they open, where they use dye and see how many layers of the eye (cornea?) are affected. He's got an ulcer from a scratch or poke to the eye and gets to wear a giant e-collar for the next week at least.

He is so very pathetic looking...

I kenneled him at the vet's today since I had to go to work, which I'm sure freaked him out since he hasn't been in a kennel since I brought him home from the shelter 3 years ago :( But it seemed safer than him being home alone trying to get the cone off and running into things. Fortunately, my very generous Dad agreed to take him back to my parents' house through the weekend so he doesn't have to be alone during the day and doesn't have to deal with foster Frankie in the evening.

Vet says this kind of thing generally heals well and quickly with the proper treatment- he got antibiotic ointment, painkiller ointment and of course the cone to keep him from rubbing his eye.

I just feel so bad for him since it isn't like I can explain to him why he's so uncomfortable and why his day has been so crazy. Wish us luck on keeping him occupied and him getting used to the cone (he's apparently busy running into walls at my parents' house...)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
:( pore guy. I was at the vet today aswell. Cheecho has a reperatory infection again :( He is also always in a cone, because he has a lick granuloma from a past injury. Silly dog.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Poor Chester! I hate that I can't tell Kabota that yes, the ear drops sucks but they'll make you feel better. He squeals when I put them in, I feel so bad.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Poor boy! This same thing happened to a pony I look after, and she was much better after a few days of the same kinds of medication. Hope he heals well too!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwwe ... Poor Chester! :( Here is to a speedy recovery and him being able to get rid of that nasty cone! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Awww.. Poor chester. Dogs always look so sad when they are in those cones, but the worst is when they walk into walls and furniture.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everybody :)
My dad says he's doing okay- he's taking everything with his "typical Chester stoicism"
Poor dog can't even jump up on the bed or the couch by himself and he's still running into walls a bit (in my parents newly painted house...)

The really rough thing is that Chester basically refuses to poop on leash and he can only go out on leash walks so the silly dog isn't doing his "business" but at least after a looooong walk he stopped to pee. Dad thinks the wiring between nose and bladder is wonky :) Tomorrow he can visit a fenced yard to that should fix that issue.

·
Registered
496 Posts
aw poor chester :( I hope he has a safe and speedy recovery!

Still a handsome man though

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
5 more days of the cone. Vet followup today, she says he's healing really well. The ulcer is about 1/8th the size it was one week ago, but still not completely healed to go cone-free. But she said i can take the cone off and but the doggles on for walks and we can stop the painkiller ointment which is what dilates the pupil and makes for the sun sensitivity. Just keeping up the antibiotic ointment. So in a couple days, he can at least be outside in the sunlight again.
I'm crossing my fingers that he does okay with the doggles so he can come on walks. His energy level has been building for the past week, yikes! Also hoping I can handle him and Frankie around each other without too much chaos.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Yay! Hopefully Chester isn't too rowdy once the cone comes off! You don't need a repeat that's for sure! :) It is so hard keeping a dog down that is used to their exercise! I know!!!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

we managed a walk, cone-free and in the sunlight, with only minimal trying to paw at the doggles. I had to watch him like a hawk though, no way will I also be able to walk Frankie at the same time. He did love being able to sniff properly and the sunglass tint seemed enough to protect his sun-sensitive pupil.

The kids in the neighborhood thought his doggles were the coolest thing ever :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Kong actually makes a neck collar (kind of like a neck pillow) that works very well. Now that I think about it it probably wouldn't work in this case because he could still use his front paws and his dew claws to scratch his eye.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kong actually makes a neck collar (kind of like a neck pillow) that works very well. Now that I think about it it probably wouldn't work in this case because he could still use his front paws and his dew claws to scratch his eye.
Yep, exactly what the vet said. Those ARE great for injuries on the body or for after spay/neuter but useless for facial/eye injuries. He's adapted pretty well to the cone at least.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What a lovely dog ^^
Shame about the evil cone my dog will probably be comming back with one of those as she is at the vets at the moment getting spayed today :<

1 - 19 of 19 Posts