Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm having some poop issues with my well potty trained 3 year old terrier mix. We have had this issue on and off for months, and I'm not sure how to address it. We do not have a fenced yard, but she has multiple opportunities to go outside - in our yard on a long leash, on short walks in the neighborhood, or even just in the side yard for a quick potty break on the short leash. She is very distracted by the many squirrels in our yard, and often she takes a long time to get around to using the bathroom. Sometimes she never gets around to it, despite many verbal redirections and ample time. If she doesn't go poop, and sometimes if she goes but doesn't go enough, she will often wake up in the morning with a nugget in her crate. She doesn't go anywhere else around the house, and I really think it sneaks out when she is sleeping because it is just one small piece. I don't think it is intentional. But other than taking her out regularly, and giving her plenty of time, I don't know how to make her go enough outside that she doesn't have accidents in her crate.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
I think you have your own answer. Take her out and give her lots of time. Sometimes with a distracted dog you have to go outside two times. Outside, stand there, dog is done, inside for 15 minutes or such, outside, stand there and wait.

If she doesn't go for the last trip outside in the evening, take another trip outside. Make it boring so she isn't getting the chance to chase prey or whatever.

A vet visit can't hurt for any bodily function issue for an otherwise house trained dog. If she's not whining to wake you for a nighttime potty break, I'd want a basic fecal check just to make sure she's healthy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
She was just at the vet. And like I said, she is given several trips throughout the day and ample time. If she doesn't go during the last trip, we are going to bed. At some point, I can't stand out there with her anymore. I can see telling my boss why I'm falling asleep at my desk.... "Sorry, I was out with my dog until 1 am because she wouldn't poop" LOL! ;)

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Its more like that you take a few minutes outside, no poop, go inside and wait, then back outside. The idea is that the dog learns to get business done while outside rather than chasing squirrels. Outside at night is only for bodily needs, nothing more "fun"

But sometimes, it does mean middle of the night breaks. Its possible that she just got her bodily functions off on a wackey schedule and you need to shift it to a better one. Going back to potty training 101 and waking up once in the night, taking dog out and slowly moving that time back until there is no break as long as there are no accidents. Start it something mid night like 2 or 3 am, if dog had not pooped yet, then you take a potty break and see what happens. If dog has pooped, then the next night you go out at 1 am. If dog has pooped in crate, then go out at midnight the next night. If dog has not pooped then try 3 or 4 am. Stretch the time frame until a whole night, including using very very boring trips outside early in the evening and through the night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts