Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, sorry in advance for the lengthy post! We just recently became first time parents to a 9 week old lab mix puppy named Luna. She is doing quite well with potty training in the house. Still has her accidents but obviously that's normal, and she's even been going to the door when she needs to pee sometimes (pretty impressive I think!) We have her trained to go in the crate at night, and she does great in there, barely crying when we put her in and usually only has to go out once or twice through the night. The problem is, she doesn't seem to want to be in her crate at any other time. We have a nice comfy bed made for her in there, toys, I've tried leaving treats in there for her, placing her in there when she's napping and leaving the door open, she just doesn't seem interested. We thought it was because the crate was too big (it is quite large) so we got a divider, but that didn't seem to help. She sometimes will pee in the crate, even running from our living area into our room where her crate is kept just to pee there. Also, the few times we've tried leaving her alone in the crate have been a disaster. My boyfriend and I mostly work opposite shifts so she isn't home alone very often, but the few times we've tried she cries, poops and then coats herself and the kennel in her poop. I even put her in there for 5 minutes to have a shower (don't trust her to not pee or poop while unsupervised) and when I got out she was crying and had pooped everywhere. Should I be worried that this is separation anxiety? We've talked about getting baby gates and trying her in the kitchen; that maybe she's not quite ready to be in the crate while left alone. We go to the vet in 2 weeks for her next shots, but I'd like to try to improve the situation before then. Any advice would be helpful, thank you so much :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Is the crate covered with a crate cover? My Molly suddenly loved the crate as soon as we put the cover on, not towels or sheets because those she would try to pull inside but the actual crate cover; picture attached-sorry it's sideways. Don't know about the pee/poop as Molly did not do either in her crate. Even now she goes in there during the day to take a nap, second picture you can barely see her in the back on the bed.
Net Cage
Cage Bed Room Furniture Pet supply

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the crate covered with a crate cover? My Molly suddenly loved the crate as soon as we put the cover on, not towels or sheets because those she would try to pull inside but the actual crate cover; picture attached-sorry it's sideways. Don't know about the pee/poop as Molly did not do either in her crate. Even now she goes in there during the day to take a nap, second picture you can barely see her in the back on the bed.
View attachment 239569
View attachment 239577

Thanks, maybe we will give that a try! She loves being under our bed so maybe she needs more of an enclosed space. We actually had a breakthrough yesterday, we bought her a Kong and put some treats in it, left her alone for about a half an hour, and when we came back, no poop! YAY! I was so proud I almost cried, lol. It makes me feel better that maybe she just needs more time to adjust to her crate and that it's not in fact separation anxiety. Thanks for the crate cover suggestion, we will definitely look into one! :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Great news, no poop! Yes my Molly likes being in the dark to sleep and be alone, under blankets, crate, etc, good luck on further success.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts