Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 12 year old male poodle with a wonderful personality and very predictable behavior; however, my husband groomed him and got the hair around his tail a bit short. When he put the pup on the ground, the pup put his tail to the side and doesn't want to walk. He whimpers and suddenly jerks like he has a bug on his hip or rump but can't bite it. This is strange behavior - the vet didn't find anything. Help please.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I have Shih Tzu and I clip them myself. Most of them are fine with it but I have a couple that act like that for a few days after I clip them, especially on their back ends. I have made sure that the clippers are cold when I do them around that area but they still seem to sit down a lot and not want to walk. I finally came to the conclusion that it just feels funny. My sister's Shih Tzu, the first time she was clipped, freaked out every time it started walking and put it's tail over it's back. Before she was clipped I guess she could not feel her tail on her back. It took a few days for her to get over it. Sometimes you do get a bit of clipper burn in that area as it is very sensitive if you not make sure the clippers are cool. Usually within a few days they are back to normal, especially if the Vet could not find anything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts