Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a pomeranian who was 7 months old. When we got her she was on Royal Canin and we switched to Acana since it seemed to be a better option. Two weeks later the problems started. She started throwing up and not being able to poop, or poop mucus. We thought it might be fish that we fed her for a the first time, or a chicken leg, or anything new that we had tried for the first time. We took her to the Vet three times, they take pictures of her insides and checked her overall health, said it is nothing serious. We had her on chicken and rice and some drugs and fiber that the Vet prescribed. Things seemed ok until my wife started to give her the dry food for one meal. I have no idea if that is the reason but the dog had thrown up again, threw up yellow foam one morning, and again the Vet suggested we change her diet back Rice, chicken and carrots. She had some bowl movement yesterday morning, but today it was very small and two times she tried after, it was mostly mucus and I think there was blood in it too. She is also not eating anything...

It has been an on going struggle for us, and I have no idea what could be the problem. The Vet has not been helpful at all, doing the same thing upon every visit which is really frustrating. Can they actually test for allergies? Could this be some sort of allergy reaction of some kind? And should I take the dog to a new Vet?

·
Registered
968 Posts
If they are sure that there isn't something metabolic going on, the first thing I'd look at is the initial change in diet. If she was doing well on the Royal Canin, the first thing I would try is to put her back on it and see if anything improves. The "best" food isn't necessarily one that is a highly rated, "super premium" food, it's one that your dog does well on, likes to eat, and that you can afford to feed. I've heard of a lot of dogs who don't do well on Acana, despite its reputation for being such a good food.

Make sure you feed her at least twice a day. Toy and small breed puppies are prone to hypoglycemia, so still feeding three or four times a day might be a good idea. Throwing up in the morning could be a sign that she's gone too long without something to eat (aka "hunger pukes"), so feeding her a bit later in the evening, or else giving her a bedtime snack can help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is a tricky problem for you, I would start feeding Royal canin & hopefully her system will do well on this food again, a lot of dogs do very well on Royal canin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the vet suggested we give her nothing but Royal Canin for gastrointestinal. It has been going ok for the last 3 days but this morning she is not eating anything...her belly was making noises throughout the night as well. This is getting beyond frustrating at this point. We have no idea what to do anymore other than taking her to a new vet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe you could ask the last owner which Royal canin your pup was eating, probably Royal canin Mini Junior, for pups
I feed my pups Royal canin Mini Junior & they have no intestinal upsets
Has your Vet tested pups stool for parasites ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts