Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, I have been talking to a breeder about adopting a 3 year old
retired breeding pomeranian due to her having trouble with delivery. She is absolutely gorgeous, trained and well tempered but she is asking 3,000$ for her while puppies are 3,500$. Is this a reasonable asking for the 3 year old retired breeding dog? or is this totally crazy. I will include a photo of the dog. Thank you any advice is appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
In my personal experience, dogs who are retired from showing/breeding and sold as adults are sold much, much more cheaply than puppies. Usually the cost is somewhere between 1/10th to 1/2 of puppy price. So if puppies are 3,500 I'd expect 350-1800 or so.

So, basically "I find this fairly crazy"

ETA: And as AsherLove said - Other breeds. I don't know poms at all, so no clue where the lines are there.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've seen a few retired show/breeding poms going for around 2000-2500.
I do think in a lot of breeds that retired dogs are sold for less than puppies.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
I only know papillons, but the retired dogs I've known cost less than puppies. Even my one-year-old, leash-trained, socialized, housebroken, crate-trained, spayed female cost me $500 less than a puppy... but honestly with all that stuff, I think she was worth more! I'd pay $500 to have the housebreaking alone already done. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
First off she is beautiful. The price does seem higher than most. The questions I would be asking is how is a 3yr old "retired" and why? This means she should have had only 1 litter max. She should not have had a litter until 2yrs and then only 1 unless she was breed back to back, which is not a good sign. If she had a medical reason for retirement , or a serious flaw well that's fine and is a good sign of a responsible breeder. Also many many many retired dogs are not house broke. Make sure to inquire and hopefully visit a while to make sure. As for training, "was she in the "show ring"? This does not mean training at all. It does though generally mean she is well socialized which is a big plus. Lastly she could be a very good breeder and is wanting such a high price because the dog is certified [hips, eyes patella's, etc] healthy. She will have all the health records to prove this. Good luck she is a pretty pup!

Sorry just remembered the delivery problem. This may mean she has had only 1 litter. This would attest to a good breeder which is getting rare for poms. [too many dumb "fake teacup" sellers out there]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts