Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.5 year old male Pom who is active and healthy. He gets lots of exercise, goes on dog adventures twice a week and has a very well rounded life. A few days ago, I noticed a change in personality. He seemed lethargic, depressed and wouldn't meet me at the door when I got home. I noticed that night, that he was limping badly and whining. We looked him over, and nothing seemed wrong. He was fine the next day and back to normal 100%.

Yesterday morning, he was fine when his dog walker came to get him . He has been going with a group of dogs hiking twice a week. He was dropped off at home in the afternoon and put in his kennel. When I came home a few hours later, I was shocked to see him. He was very cold, wet and dirty and was shivering. I quickly got him under a warm blanket with a hot water bottle until he stopped shivering. He seemed very distressed, lethargic and pathetic. He ate all of his dinner, and would take treats from me when I offered them. He just seemed different, and almost scared of us. Then, late last night, we were looking him over when he was whining and yelping and were shocked to find that he has some sort of bubbling weirdness under his skin all over his back and sides. When you pet him, it's like popping bubble wrap. It doesn't seem to hurt him, and he is still eating, pooping, peeing, running around etc. He just seems depressed! He wouldn't even sleep with us last night, which is very unusual! This morning I took him to the vet, who seemed to think he is totally fine now, but perhaps sore and cranky from spending 3 hours shivering! I feel horrible for him, the bubbles are getting better slowly, but I am totally mystified by their presence. The vet says he has never experienced this and that it couldn't be subcutaneous emphysema because there is no point of entry for air to get under his skin. I have searched online and found nothing. I am changing his food in case of an allergy, calling off the dog walker for a few weeks, and trying to get him to rest.

Has anyone else ever experinced this? I am trying to figure out if the 2 incidents are related, or just a coincidence. I would just like to know he is going to be ok, and this is nothing to worry about! Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The sound is referred to as "crepitus", usually caused by air under the skin but above the muscle. My Cocker had it after she was bitten by a large dog that put a hole in her back and lifted the skin away from the muscle allowing air to enter..
If there is no puncture anywhere, I can understand why your vet is confused.

Almost sounds like he was shocky when you found him. Are you positive your dog walker would be upfront about anything happening on the hike? Could he have been attacked by another dog, not injured, but scared?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, well, I did consider that there might have been something that happened on his walk that either the dog walker didn't see, or is not admitting to me. It has always been my worst fear, as he's always the little guy in the group that doesn't seem to get that he's the little guy !

I will do some research on crepitus but I am hoping it won't last too long. As of tonight, there are still lots of weird patches, but much less noticeable. He is a bit more like himself, but still reserved.

Anyways, thanks for the insight. It really helps!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
He doesn't chew on electrical cords does he? Or try to knaw on electrical outlets? Getting electrocuted can cause lameness in the legs(if they were "grounded" at the time, that gets better, but I don't know if it could cause the crepitus. Could he have walked into an electric fence on his hike??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think he has ever chewed on any wires or electrical outlets. Knock on wood, he is not a chewer. The place that the dog walkers take him doesn't have electrical fences (at least not that I am aware of). I am really starting to believe that he must have gotten into a fight with another dog.
With your dog, how long did it take for his crepitus to go away? I have tried to do some research online about it, but there really is a lack of information. He is much more active tonight `and seems like his little ego is making a comeback too.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
It's been a while, but I think it was gone in a week or so. Are you absolutely positive there is no puncture wound anywhere on him. I know Poms are kinda furry, but is it possible there is a tooth hole somewhere under all the fur? Check all of the areas on the perimeter of the area of crepitus. Could be small, the size a canine tooth would make.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts