Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is only 5 months and has developed an allergy- ( to either something in Acana Small Breed Puppy or straight salmon or beef liver, we just stopped everything) so we are trying Natural Balance Lamb and Rice (both wet and dry). She seems to handle it very well and her itching has pretty much vanished

But I see people here switching brands all the time- wondered what made folks make that decision (and if it had anything to do with allergy prevention) :)

Cheers-

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I only used to switch kibbles every year or so as Sassy was not easy to switch. I was looking for food that would help her dry skin. Nothing helped.

I started to feed the dogs fresh cooked food in 2007 because Sassy was diagnosed with kidney failure, the prescription kibble looked horrible and there was that massive dog food contamination problem at the time. Her prescription kibble was not ever contaminated but the whole thing was so awful I didn't want to ever feed commercial dog food again. The dogs both made massive increases in condition on fresh food too. Sassy still had dry skin though!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
No problem with Allergies for me but 2 months of chronic diarrhea made me switch :). Started on Pro Plan from her breeder - switched to Blue Buffalo which is when the diarrhea started. She went onto specialized diets one was Purina Gastroenteric and the other was Hills W/D along with forti-flora (probiotic). I then pulled her off of the specialized and put her on Holistic Select (fish based) which her diarrhea problems cleared up on this food but I wanted some variation for rotation so I tried her on 4Health but she didn't like it. Then (and finally) I put her on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream to try out and see how she did and since she loves it and they have quite a few different flavors to rotate between I keep her on it.

Was a lot of hit and miss with all of the foods.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm rotating a different flavor/formula about every other monthish?

The way I see it is - I wouldn't enjoy eating the exact same thing every day for my entire life so I'm sure she doesn't/wont :). Also it's to help avoid having them develop an allergy to eating the exact same thing with no variation.

·
Registered
496 Posts
huh, didnt know they could get an allergy from eating the same food :O

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
That's what I've been hearing/heard - I'm not interested in finding out so - why take the risk :D. I still wouldn't want to eat the same stuff every day for 12+ years with no variation.

·
Registered
496 Posts
oh yea i think i would go insane eating the same thing. I am def. gonna keep that in mind and start doing that on switching every other month or so.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
We rotate every bag. We also give a teaspoon (small dogs) of canned food mixed into the kibbles with every meal. The type of canned food varies, usually wellness or blue buffalo, but different types of each.
Why rotate foods?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I initially switched due to the ingredients I was feeding ... not good at all. Once I was aware of dog foods and studied them for a while I purchased what was within my budget. It was still a huge improvement from a 1 star rated food to a four star food. But as it turned out two of my four dogs I am feeding have allergy issues. I have been switching and I went to grain-free for the allergy dogs. It is working for one of them. Still have one to go ... but he is on prescription food right now for bladder stones.

I also like to switch meat sources to help to prevent future allergies. Plus ... I would not want to eat the same food day after day ... year after year! :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I change mine up every time I buy a bag. Why? For variety. Because I have an allergenic golden. And because I'm constantly striving to try to feed them great foods with great results. :)

I also top my food with a tablespoon or so of canned--and I switch those up daily. My dogs favorite is Merricks, by far--but I try all different brands of canned.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I only switched foods every year as it would take Sassy 2 months or so to get used to a new kibble. When I never saw any improvement in her skin and she liked them all just fine and it was ever so much fun to switch it made it hard to switch. Grain free kibbles came about long after she was a senior and the vet had me convinced high protein was a bad idea for a senior dog. She had flea allergy and maybe increasing the fat could have helped but fish oil did not neither did a couple other supplements. If I had seen some change I might have tried harder to find something that would work but this was before the internet and wonderful discussion forums.

On home cooking I could switch one ingredient 10% at a time keeping fat and calories level and after slowly working through each food she was fine on any combination of pasta, potato, rice, beef, chicken or pork. Not sure she cared about the variety though, she liked it all.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
It's good to rotate foods, if you can. I have one dog who has allergies and/or food sensitivities so he's limited but my gal can have whatever but does better with grainfree.

·
Registered
871 Posts
We tried several brands before we found one that didnt leave Zoey puking a few times a day. We fed Authority brand chicken kibble for a long time, but when we switched to the adult food, she started puking again. We switched to another brand bc of that, and bc it was getting expensive to drive to Petsmart for the Authority every month. We switched to 4Health chicken and its cheaper, closer, and she doesnt puke it.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
When you find yourself looking for gas masks on the internet. This is a big clue to switch foods. . If your dog has chronic ear infections, gas and/or diarrhea, what you are feeding your dog is usually the culprit.

I do switch my other dogs' food from time to time. I would also hate to eat the same thing forever. The only exception would be the one who has alot of food allergies. I have found one brand that is working and he will be on that for life.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and stories... OSDBMOM, your timing could not be more perfect, she just started barfing today- and she is not digesting it as well as I had though for the first three days- soft stool, etc. It could be something else but I am betting it is the new food- we are due at the vet next week, will monitor

I found another site, similar to the link above, that describes how allergies develop in dogs- it is exposure that triggers them it appears (vet site, will try to find again)... didn't know that- and she is young to have an allergy it appears so I bet she is going to be prone to others. Rotation sounds smart.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Interesting thread to come up right when we're changing foods....
The first time we switched (aside from switching her from the breeder's food) was from Science Diet because we didn't like the ingredients. We switched to Orijen and then to Acana, off of both because she got a prolonged case of the runs and horrible gas. We settled on Horizon for quite a while, but we've been noticing she's dandruffy and has had a second ear infection in about three months, so we're now switching to check for allergies (suspecting chicken, though cutting out grains too). Going with.....I think it was natural balance fish and sweet potato we just picked up.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Rotation of kibble untill you find the one that works best for your dog.
and I also add Table food.
My dogs do best with Iams ..They also get a lot of Chicken and Beef
from the table and rice and an assortment of vegetables.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Electra because of allergies..previously she was eating raw and a rotation of dehydrated raws and grain free kibbles at work, but then she start getting really itchy..she has seasonal allergies so i thought it was just that getting worse, started some stuff from the vet which helped but not a tone, then I couldnt get to my usual stores when I was out of food at work and the best thing I could find at petsmart at the time was Halo..which had grains, but almost none..and aside from the 2 grains in it there was nothing she hadnt been eating just fine previously..nore had she had any issue with those grains previously. then about 2 weeks on she developed a big red rash all up her legs and accross her belly, it was srping so I thought it was bug bites or something, till I was chatting with a co-worker and she goes "hey, didnt you start that new food shortly before this started?" *click* lol yup, sure did, promptly started packing little baggies of raw food for her until I could get a grain free food for her, rash went away..still itchy though...then as I switched food I realized she itched more on some then on others, that when I realized she must be allergic to meats as well and switched from meat to meat both raw and kibble to see what made her itch more and less..figered out Chicken, beef and Bison make her itch a LOT, Turkey and Duck make her itch but not as much, venison, lamb, pork, alpaca, and kangaroo make her itch somewhere in between, and fish make her itch so little that as long she she gets Derma-strength tablets as well, she doesnt chew herself at all. with all the others, the tablets only lessen the itching, with the fish it eliminates the itching. she is eating NB fish and sweet potato now which is working awsome for her.

Gem I switched from Go! duck to Orijen Puppy because she kept getting loose stools, and she was eating like a horse, gaining weight but if I cut her food back she seemed exessivly starving, I tried a few different food and she is doing the best on the Orijen puppy..down to 3 cups a day(from 4 of the go!) no more starving acts and no more loose stools.

the rest of my dogs eat raw and home and a rotation at work. we switched to raw because of Happy, she had a rough start, getting sick multiple times, puppy vaccines nearly killed her, her coat was always dry and flaky, she was really gassy all the time etc.. all went away when we switched to raw..only reason they get kibble at all is because of my work schedual, my mom's still get all raw since they eat all meals at home.

Gem does get raw as well, she is just mostly kibble with some raw(her sister Gypsy will be the same) instead of mostly raw with some kibble, this is purly due to size, Gem and Gyp are bigger then my other dogs, I cant afford as much raw as they need in addition to the others lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts