Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
363 Posts
Blue Ash police say the officers handled the situation according to department policy.
I guess department policy is to let the dog bite you 17 times and then shoot it. LOL

3 bullets for a chihuahua ? Officer has anger control problems perhaps?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I had to read that like 5 times. They SHOT that tiny dog? Maybe if it were rabid or somehow grew wings and was flying into their faces and attacking.. but really? Why did they not call animal control? Why were they trying to pick it up when it kept biting?

And they got a hold of the dog.. then tried to taze it? Way too many questions from me.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I saw this, too. Are you in this area? This is also my local news. It was heartbreaking to see this story on the news. Just unbelievable.
yeah, I live in Pendleton County. Did you hear about the guy that was hit head-on by a drunken semi driver? I know the family.

I had to read that like 5 times. They SHOT that tiny dog? Maybe if it were rabid or somehow grew wings and was flying into their faces and attacking.. but really? Why did they not call animal control? Why were they trying to pick it up when it kept biting?

And they got a hold of the dog.. then tried to taze it? Way too many questions from me.
I know, I dont' get it either. I mean, it was the first time the pup had ever gotten out... so they killed it? Apparently it's not the first time the Blue Ash PD has unneccisarily killed animals....

Also, why would they continue to try to get the dog if it bit in the first place??? Ugh...

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
17 bites? What the heck was the cops doing to that dog???? Pick up the dog by the scruff of the neck and he'd stop biting!

The dog only weighted 5 lbs... wow...

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
17 bites? What the heck was the cops doing to that dog???? Pick up the dog by the scruff of the neck and he'd stop biting!

The dog only weighted 5 lbs... wow...
I know, right? I'm currently arguing on the comment board about it. :rolleyes:

There're morons everywhere. :(

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Wow.. I really hope those *insert choice words here* officers lose their jobs... I don't want these idiots running around on our streets with guns.. shooting five pound dogs on their own property.. Honestly? Maybe some anger management and jail time is in order. I hope the family gets to see some justice.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
3 shots seems like overkill.

But so does 17 bites on the hand.

Is the SPCA there actually an animal control agency? The ones here in TX aren't. They do NO animal control duties in most smaller towns- they're just a shelter; AC is the job of the local police.

Sad situation all around. I hope the cop is okay. I'm sorry for the dog. I hope the family that left their 5 pound dog outside to fend for himself will think better of it in the future.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3 shots seems like overkill.

But so does 17 bites on the hand.

Is the SPCA there actually an animal control agency? The ones here in TX aren't. They do NO animal control duties in most smaller towns- they're just a shelter; AC is the job of the local police.

Sad situation all around. I hope the cop is okay. I'm sorry for the dog. I hope the family that left their 5 pound dog outside to fend for himself will think better of it in the future.
Yeah, they're animal control, too. Maybe they shouldn't have left the dog outside... but then again, I don't understand how the killing of the dog was justified. I mean, if it bites, use the catchpole that was at hand. Ugh.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
You're assuming they HAD a catchpole.

I guess I just see a lot of unanswered questions. Is Blue Ash so quiet that cops have nothing to do but respond to stray dog reports for tiny dogs? Or was this dog doing something that made a response to a loose dog call urgent, like chasing neighbor kids? Was the dog repeatedly allowed to run loose?

It's avery sad situation. I just don't think we have enough information to condemn cops out of hand.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparently it "bit" a jogger, leaving only a pinch mark on the persons ankle. Its ridiculous....
A couple of years ago an officer beat a goose to death in front of a car full of kids: so I'm guessing that they have nothing better dog do. *shakes head*

·
Registered
2,968 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I'm not arguing that this is not pathetic... a towell would have solved the whole problem. It was far from needed.

But why do they in ever new article like this post a picture of the dog as a puppy? They said the boy was 12... he's like 4 in the picture. So it was probably an 8 yearold adult dog?

Like I said, still completly shameful and un needed. I'm just curious about the pictures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sensationalism! sell the story????? but still.. why is an animal's life so worthless? ok - I think we shouldn't get into that :)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I dont' think police should have to tolerate being bitten 17 times or so viciously that the dog leaves a tooth imbedded in the person. That is a vicious dog. I can understand why they shot it. Sad, but I can understand it. Just because a dog is small, doesn't give it license to attack.

Not everyone in the world is dog savvy. These are just cops trying to do their job and get home to their families alive and in one piece at the end of the day. The responsibility lies with the OWNER to ensure their dog is not a danger to the public....and that includes running loose. Can you imagine if a stranger child had tried to pick up the dog?

·
Banned
749 Posts
I'm not arguing that this is not pathetic... a towell would have solved the whole problem. It was far from needed.

But why do they in ever new article like this post a picture of the dog as a puppy? They said the boy was 12... he's like 4 in the picture. So it was probably an 8 yearold adult dog?

Like I said, still completly shameful and un needed. I'm just curious about the pictures.
I read the article as them giving the dog to their 12 year old son as a present for his birthday a few years ago. I'm assuming that the son is 12 now and that they have another son that is 5. The parents told their 5yo son that the dog ran away.

If I were the parents I would have told the son the truth. That the police shot the dog dead and that they do not know how to handle the situation because they are obvious power grabbing idiots with their guns that need training on the proper ways to handle loose dog situations.

I have seen worse situations on Animal Police on animal planet where the animal control officers were able to retrieve aggressive pit bulls alive and without injury to the animal control officer or the dog. I think there should be training that should be made mandatory for this police department where all officers are trained to handle the situation properly without injury to either dog or human.

Who is the a$$ that set the policy to shoot loose dogs the first place. If it were in our town we have our own animal control personnel that would have been called in by the police and the result would have been a lot different.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I always thought the rule for cops is you only fire if yours, or someone elses life is in danger.

I don't see how, even if it was completly wild, how two grown adults couldn't avoid a life threatening injury from a 5 pound dog. I'm totally against animal abuse, but I'd much rather tham of field goal kicked the little guy than to shoot him.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts