Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that the weather is getting warmer, I've noticed some poison ivy where I walk my dog, along a path in the woods. My question is are dogs able to get poison ivy.
If a dog brushes up against some poison ivy can they transport it to humans?


Thank you
Samm (John):cool:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,842 Posts
I guess you mean poison ivy.

Certainly dogs could be sensitive to poison ivy and transport it to humans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,193 Posts
It is much more likely that they will just transport it to their people and not be affected themselves. For whatever reason, they are not ver likely to react to it.

I took a pup to the vet with a raised and blistery rash was was assured that it was NOT poison ivy because a reaction was so rare in dogs.

However, I know many people who won't pet other peoples' dogs during poison ivy season because they are so sensitive to it that it will transfer to them from the dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,248 Posts
They can absolutely transfer the oils from the poison ivy from their fur to your skin. I'm extremely allergic to poison ivy/oak/sumac and had to learn that one the hard way. Urushiol is the compound that causes rashes in allergic people and I'm so allergic I can't even eat mangos. It is present in the skin of mangos but in small enough amounts that it doesn't effect most people.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top