Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 8 yr old golden retriever has had fairly heavy breathing for awhile and then what sounded like kennel cough which lasted for about 2 weeks. We just noticed that he is extremely skinny and got him into the vet. They took x-rays and his lungs are so filled with fluid, that they can't see his heart on the x-ray. He was diagnosed with a slightly enlarged heart a few years ago, but has had no issues with it and they need to see his heart to determine that nothing is wrong with it. For now they put him on meds for pneumonia. He hasn't been eating his dry food. We didn't notice till we noticed how skinny he was, because we have 2 dogs and they tend to eat each other's food. The vet gave him meds yesterday to see if it will help if it is pneumonia and if the meds help, he should start eating again within a few days. He will eat other things [meat, cheese, eggs), but I've been watching him for the past few days, and he won't touch his dry dog food. Yesterday about noon I started giving him just a bit of canned food mixed with rice every few hours which he loved and by last night he threw up. I gave him his meds this morning and a little canned food with rice twice and he got sick again. I will keep giving the meds, but is there something else I should try feeding him? Could it be the rice that is a problem? The canned food? Should I try a bit of canned food without rice? Should I try just a bit of chicken? Any suggestions of what to try feeding him that should not make him sick? He also gobbles it down fast which is why I would only give a bit at a time and only let him take a couple bites, take away, let him have a bit more, take away until the small amount I gave him was gone, purposely, because I was afraid he'd get sick eating it too fast. He got sick anyway. Suggestions of what to try? Oh..tried veggies he normally likes with a bit of rice and wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You could try feeding steamed shredded chicken. I would drop the grains and veggies if he'll eat the chicken.

I suggest to have your vet check for heartworms. They can settle in the lungs.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It's possible that the medication are making him nauseous. Antibiotics, especially the more powerful ones, are known to cause nausea. Your best bet is to ask you vet if that's a possibility, and if so ask if they can prescribe anti-nausea medication and an appetite stimulant.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Agree with above, it's likely the meds. Ask your vet about it and see if they can prescribe something to help with the nausea so the dog can eat. You might also try mixing a small amount of low sodium broth in his dry food to get him eating that again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts