Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have to move on the 13th of July, and I just recieved a notification on facebook that we cant have our Pitbull, that is just over a year old in the house. It is the only place we can afford, and any other place is to small with our family of, soon five. This was unexpected, because our renter was fine with it before. But a new law got her in trouble. In our area, we cant have any of the following;
Chow Chow,
Bulldog,
Pitbull,
German Shepards,
Etc.
We are not giving our dog to a shelter. It is my older sisters dog, and she is keeping him. but we need some place to put him. Our relatives cant have him, none of them. We dont know what to do and we have five days, im lost. Please; Help me and my family, our dog is sweet; and we dont want to have to actually give him away to shelters or pounds. So no suggestions with that. I repeat, literally no one will take him in that we know that we can trust, and it is LAW for us not to have him. please, help....

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Get in touch with as many rescues as you can, immediately. Tell them what is going on and beg for help. Offer to pay for his food, his vet, anything and everything he needs, then either move somewhere else or surrender your dog.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get in touch with as many rescues as you can, immediately. Tell them what is going on and beg for help. Offer to pay for his food, his vet, anything and everything he needs, then either move somewhere else or surrender your dog.
We have no rescues around here like that. All of them will put him down because he is Pit.
My Aunt's dog was put down by an rescue around here because HE was pit. And, there are absolutely no pitbull rescue centers around here.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Maybe put a post on Craigslist explaining your situation? Then sort out who you would think would be good candidates....since there are no rescues this might be your best bet, make a rehoming fee so that you can weed out some people that just want him for "fighting" or whatever. But don't make the rehoming fee too high either. hope this can be of some help...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Where do you live? we may be able to help if we know what area you're located in.
I live in Hilliard Florida, moving three blocks down from the Hilliard Elementary school.

Maybe put a post on Craigslist explaining your situation? Then sort out who you would think would be good candidates....since there are no rescues this might be your best bet, make a rehoming fee so that you can weed out some people that just want him for "fighting" or whatever. But don't make the rehoming fee too high either. hope this can be of some help...
I just suggested this to my sister, and she said shes not putting him with people she doesnt trust him with. Like people on Craigslist and Rescues.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I just suggested this to my sister, and she said shes not putting him with people she doesnt trust him with. Like people on Craigslist and Rescues.
So instead of maybe finding him a really great home and taking a chance she's going to "wait and see" and possibly not have him go anywhere and drop him off at a rescue to die? I mean you could meet the people at their house to make sure it's actually an ok place for the dog to go, I'm not saying you have to trust the first person that responds to you but a lot of people on here got their dogs from Craigslist and they are obviously good homes. I'm just saying don't rule it out, you could see where the dog is going you could look at the people and if you get a bad vibe from them say sorry we already found the dog a home. It's better than doing nothing, but momtolabs is right maybe someone close to you on here will take the dog.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So instead of maybe finding him a really great home and taking a chance she's going to "wait and see" and possibly not have him go anywhere and drop him off at a rescue to die? I mean you could meet the people at their house to make sure it's actually an ok place for the dog to go, I'm not saying you have to trust the first person that responds to you but a lot of people on here got their dogs from Craigslist and they are obviously good homes. I'm just saying don't rule it out, you could see where the dog is going you could look at the people and if you get a bad vibe from them say sorry we already found the dog a home. It's better than doing nothing, but momtolabs is right maybe someone close to you on here will take the dog.
Thats the thing, Shes NOT giving him away to strangers; She NOT giving him away to rescues. We are KEEPING him, we just need some place to watch him untill we find a new place to afford thats big enough. Its not my choices, its hers. She only wants her dog with friends and people she knows for a fact she can trust. We cant make her talk to people, thats how she is. And we cant do that in... Basically four days.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Is there anyway you can stay at the place you are at until you can find a new place and ask for the security deposit back?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Thats the thing, Shes NOT giving him away to strangers; She NOT giving him away to rescues. We are KEEPING him, we just need some place to watch him untill we find a new place to afford thats big enough. Its not my choices, its hers. She only wants her dog with friends and people she knows for a fact she can trust. We cant make her talk to people, thats how she is. And we cant do that in... Basically four days.
Look for a boarding kennel. Other than that, it sounds like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look for a boarding kennel. Other than that, it sounds like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
The closest boarding Kennel around here is inJacksonville, that we know of. And she doesnt want him that far.
And he has seperation Anxiety. Like I said, nothing around here will keep a pit for a certain amount of time before killing it.
I'm screwed.
We only need some place to watch him, for a few months. Maybe a year. ._.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The closest boarding Kennel around here is inJacksonville, that we know of. And she doesnt want him that far.
And he has seperation Anxiety. Like I said, nothing around here will keep a pit for a certain amount of time before killing it.
I'm screwed.
We only need some place to watch him, for a few months. Maybe a year. ._.
No offense, but I don't think anyone is going to hold the dog for a year free of charge, even if you pay for food and stuff. Unless you've close personal friends who live in a Pitbull safe area... I'm not seeing a lot of options. Its a kennel or nothin'. Maybe an in home pet sitter can take him in for a while but realistically this doesn't sound like its going to work out. A year is a darn long time to be keeping after a dog that isn't yours!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
You are asking for something nearly impossible you NEED to have your sister compromise or the dog is probably going to be put to sleep. If she REALLY cares about the dog she will think what is best for HIM not her. That might include her not seeing him at all or giving him up. To be honest your sister is being VERY selfish and she needs to make a decision or the dog is going to be in big trouble. It's going to suck a LOT we can understand that, I would never want to be put this this situation but that is the situation you guys put yourselves in even though it was an accident. So like I said your sister needs to suck it up and make a decision.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'm confused - the city or county has a law banning bully breeds? Or the specific place you're moving to doesn't allow them?

Your sister won't let the dog move too far away, but the alternative is... euthanasia?

I don't think I'm fully understanding this situation.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
It sounds like your sister is going to be making a very difficult decision, no matter what.

It's her choice: Risk keeping the dog in a BSL area and possibly losing the dog to euthanasia.

OR: Find a rescue outside of the BSL area. Most rescues are smart about who they give their dogs to, he would most likely be safe, and still alive in a new home.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
So...let me get all this right...

You already live in an area where pitbulls are banned and have been for a while.
Your sister knows this and has been illegally keeping a pitbull anyway.
Now, she wants to move and can't get the new landlord to go along with this.
She'd rather have the dog put to sleep than rehome it outside the area.
She doesn't trust strangers or a rescue organization and won't talk to anyone who might help.

How, exactly, could any of us help here?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I think you need to face the facts. and instead of looking for a place to keep him. Look for a new home for him. It will be miserable for him while waiting in limbo for you to get stuff straightened out. Its not in HIS best interest. Not what you feel or want. What does the dog NEED? a new home! Owning a pitty is a responsibility. And getting one in a banned area is not being responsible IMO. its risking the life of the dog simply because you want to own one or make a statement. yes BSL is not fair but it exists. Now if they passed the law after you had the dog...thats a different story. If it was my dog for its safety if moving was not an option I would seek to rehome him for fear the law would crack down and possibly end his life.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts