Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I brought my little cute wire fox terrier home 2 weeks ago. She is almost 5 months old now. She is pretty clam and doesn't bark at all. The breeder I bought the puppy from didn't do any training. Water/food are automatic, flushes the poop and pee automatically. I think she is pretty much use to pee/poo in the crate. I used every method I could. She just doesn't care. Won't pee/poo after she ate. Whenever I let her out of her crate. She wags her tail and running like a puppy. :wave: She is wonders around in my apartment. I mean she is very adorable and everything but She has consistently doing her business in the crate is driving me crazy.:doh: I try to train her on the pee pad area. She just doesn't get it. By the way, my daily routine is quite random. Any help would be greatly appreciate it!:wave:

p.s why is my puppy doesn't bark at all. Only whines and hrrhrr sound when she sees other dogs.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I think that crate might be a little too big for her. I would try using a crate separator or something to confine her into a little more tight space. I know it seems "cruel" but sometimes dogs will soil their crate if they have the space to eliminate in the crate and sleep elsewhere. Another thing that caught my eye is that your daily routine is random. She may not be able to hold it before you come home and open her "eliminating" zone. That's another quick reason that pops into my mind.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Plus, 2 weeks is not a long time. You've tried how many methods in that time? You're just confusing her. Stick to the time/reward method. Take her out every 1.5-2 hours (sooner if she's going in between). If she goes, throw her a party- lots of praise, treats and then a little play. If she doesn't go after 5-10 minutes, back inside, no play. This will take time, as in months, before she is completely reliable. You have to be patient.

Also use an enzymatic cleanser to clean up any messes inside. Soap and water isn't enough. She will still be able to smell it, and that will make her think inside is the right place to go.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
If your every day schedule is random, that won't help. Puppies usually need lots of consistency. So, at her age, I would take her out every 1-2 hours. And, actually, every hour would be best until you start to see some progress.

If your schedule doesn't allow you to do that, it will just take longer for her to get the idea.

How long are you keeping her in the crate? If you are keeping her in the crate too long, she WILL have an accident, because she can't hold it, AND, she WILL be excited to get out of the crate because she's been in too long.

I never used crates to potty train. You don't really need to, if you commit to keeping your eyes on her anytime she's awake! That way, you can see the signs when she needs to pee/poop and you can rush her out. You can also interrupt any time she starts having an accident and take her outside.

If she's always in the crate, you cant' always see clearly if she is acting like she needs to go. Plus, if she's in the crate, it gives you a false sense of security, like you don't need to watch her because she's safely inside the crate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all for the replies! I have made her sleeping area now in the potty area. She was doing fine eliminate on the much bigger space. I was just playing with her after I put her back in the sleeping area. She peed on her bed again. I made sure there wasn't no urine or smell when I cleaned the area nicely. It just this puppy doesn't even sniff or turn circle and just eliminate all of sudden. :wink: Otherwise she is so adorable!!
I am thinking maybe it is all too close together? I guess I'll give it more time!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts