Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find a direct guideline anywhere for large breed puppies. Everywhere says to control the amount you give but I can't find anything that tells you how much is supposed to be in the dog food. My Cane Corso is 7 months old. Will someone please enlighten me?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Young, giant-breed dogs fed a food containing excess calcium (3.3% dry matter basis) with either normal phosphorus(0.9% dry matter basis) or high phosphorus(3% dry matter basis, to maintain a normal calcium/phosphorus ratio) had significantly increased incidence of developmental bone disease.2 These puppies apparently were unable to protect themselves against the negative effects of chronic calcium excess.3 Further, chronic high calcium intake increased the frequency and severity of osteochondrosis.

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/663911

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you..but isn't that saying that the 3.3 too much calcium? It looks like it's saying when they were fed those amounts they developed problems. I want to know when I'm looking at dog foods what percentages and ratios do I want to see on the bag. Right now my dog food says Min Calcium is 1.1% and max is 1.5%. I forgot what the phosphorus is. She's limping out of no where and I'm hoping it's just growing pains but it really makes me want to get her calcium/phosphorus levels correct.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ratio for large breed pups should be Calcium 1.5 % / Phosphorus 1.0 %. Actually, Calcium 1.3 / Phosphorus 1.0 is ideal.
Difference should be .3 to ..5

RESEARCH

Calcium and Phosphorus. Calcium is necessary for proper bone growth and remodeling as well as for proper muscle function. Phosphorus is also necessary for proper bone formation. Calcium needs to be present not only at a particular level but also at an appropriate amount with respect to phosphorus. The calcium to phosphorus ratio should be between 1.1 : 1.4 -1. If the phosphorus level is too high, calcium levels in the body can
become too low. If this occurs, the body will start to remove calcium from the bones. The result can be lameness, spontaneous bone fractures, and kidney problems. If too much calcium is fed, especially to large breed dogs when they are young, bone growth can actually be decreased and problems such as OCD and hip dysplasia can result. HVN recommend calcium at .5-.9% for adult dogs and double that for puppies and pregnant/nursing dogs. Similar levels are recommended for cats. Phosphorus is recommended at .2-.8% for adult dogs, .8-1.4% for puppies and pregnant/nursing dogs, .3-.8% for adult cats, and .8-1.4% for kittens and pregnant/nursing cats. All percentages are on a dry matter basis.

Have you spoken to your vet about the ratios for your particular puppy?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much. =) No I don't really rely on my vet for nutrition needs. From books I've read and stuff I just don't trust them. They don't do very much training in Vet school for it. I was going to get some books on the subject though. Thank you!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thank you so much. =) No I don't really rely on my vet for nutrition needs. From books I've read and stuff I just don't trust them. They don't do very much training in Vet school for it. I was going to get some books on the subject though. Thank you!
You are Welcome :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts