Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be it full meal stuffings or little snack stuffings... I need to get my poodle addicted to her kongs... what is your dog's most irresistible stuffing??

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I usually just freeze peanut butter in them. Or you could freeze some canned food mixed with kibble or really any number of things so long as they are ok for a dog to eat. For us though, the trick is to freeze it because it makes it take much longer to get the food out and it's less messy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
A favorite around here is peanut butter dinner.

I mix a small bit (and I mean small) of pb in warm water and add in the food... when it is kinda mushy, I stuff it in the kong and freeze it. Seriously though... light on the peanut butter, it's really just to flavor the water, lol.

Like kafka said, freezing it is less messy normally, and keeps them busy longer. Though I would venture to say freezing it and giving it to a fluffy faced poodle could end up kinda messy. I freeze my poodle's but he has a clean (shaven) face and feet.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I used pb for one dog, I think I used it too much of it for one dog because POOP! I tend to use The Honest Kitchen....my dogs love the stuff and it freezes nicely in Kongs. If we are going to be gone, I mix THK and some kibble for their dinner. I've tried yogurt as well. Mine eat anything that doesn't eat them first, so...

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I use Peanut Butter with Treats frozen in it. I also use:
Frozen yogurt and Bananas
Frozen yogurt and treats
Frozen Chicken Broth
Spray Cheese Frozen
Spray cheese and treats
Frozen Water
Frozen water and treats
steak scraps and Cream Cheese (Not often)

That's all I can think of for now.... :)

EDIT: I also freeze kibble (whatever brand you feed your dog) with either yogurt, water, chicken broth, or peanut butter.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I usually put some dry kibble in there and then "seal" it over with wet food, then put it in the freezer. He really loves that. Especially since I've been getting the Weruva canned food, which is like shredded chicken, he REALLY loves the Kong then.

I also buy plain no fat yogurt, put it in there, and freeze, but sometimes this can be kind of messy. Just because he often gets bored with just yogurt and will let the Kong sit on the floor and then it starts melting out, LOL. But if your dog eats it all at once, this will work much better.

Jackson never liked peanut butter so I only tried it once and he wouldn't TOUCH it and it was a MESS cleaning it out. So I never tried the PB thing again, plus most of them are pretty high in fat, and it wouldn't be my first choice of treat to give often.

I used to put cheese in there sometimes too and freeze it. Or shove some treats in there and again, seal it with wet food.

Anything really can go in there so long as it's healthy and edible for the dogs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow thanks for all the suggestions!

Do you all stuff the kongs to the brim with the stuffing? I don't want my dog to grow fat....

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
wow thanks for all the suggestions!

Do you all stuff the kongs to the brim with the stuffing? I don't want my dog to grow fat....
I fill it to the brim but of course, you should adjust your feeding depending on your dog's body condition. If the dog gains weight, just decrease food/treats etc. accordingly. If they're at an ideal weight now and you want to add more treats (like in the Kong) just slightly decrease the amount of normal food you feed. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok thanks for the advice! My dog doesn't seem interested in PB... but cheese is a totally different thing... one sniff and she'll sit and hold out her paw

She puked the 1st time I gave her cheese though... it was only a small piece... just an inch... so I'm worried she might be lactose intolerant... sooo... I'm afraid to give her yoghurt too..

BUT yoghurt and bananas sounds delicious and easy to make... might give it a go...

Thanks all for the recipes (and the PM)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts