Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I haven't really been on much because of all the medical troubles going on.

A few months ago, we took Copper to the emergency vet due to lethargy, inappetance, weakness, and a whole bunch of other symptoms. The results came back as acute kidney failure with an unidentified cause. He was on IV and under supervision for several days but the levels did not go down as hoped. Nevertheless, he regained nearly all of his energy (which baffled the vets). We hoped that with maintenance, he might get another few good years.

Today, we had to take him in again, for the same symptoms, plus a complete refusal to drink water. Blood tests show end stage renal failure. They're doing what they can, but odds are he doesn't have much time left.

I guess I don't really know what I'm saying in the post, except to ask you to please send us your best wishes for an admittedly unlikely recovery, or at the very least, for him not to suffer. Apologies if the writing is choppy and poorly-written... Given the circumstances, I'm not in the best headspace right now.

Thanks for all your help in the past,
- Copper & Family

PS. If you have any tips or previous experience, it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry! My thoughts are with you and Copper :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
You and Copper are in my thoughts. I'm sorry as well.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
What a shock this has been for you, he is just a baby!

My first dog Sassy had kidney disease as a senior and wouldn't drink water either. She would eat soup though so soup was her food and drink for 3.5 years. As it got hard for her stomach to hold that much bulk I split her meals up more, she ended up eating 4-5x a day. I also learned how to give subcutaneous fluids to her and for quite a while she got 1/2-1 liter a day. Getting extra fluids really helped her a lot.

Spoil him rotten! Give him anything he will eat. I was lucky with Sassy and she would eat the boiled chicken breast and special glutinous rice that was her super low phosphorus kidney diet but many dogs get picky and the owners resort to meaty baby food [with no onion of course] and all sorts of rich smelly foods. If you haven't been to dogaware.com there is a lot of information on kidney patients there. She also got real human food, little ginger cookies that were her subQ treatment treat. There was quite a smirk on her face as Max wasn't allowed any. She did get acidic and stop eating once but a simple antacid changed things dramatically.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just visited him again... We're waiting for the second blood tests to come in, but from his behaviour he's barely holding on. He ate for the first time while we were there, but even the vet said that it's unlikely he'll survive a day if taken off the fluids. He was having tremors the whole time we were there. The way things are right now, we'll be going in tomorrow for our last goodbye.

Thank you for your support and for sticking along side us for this journey. It's been invaluable.

I'll let you know if anything changes. Thank you so, so much.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
I am so sorry.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Best wishes and fingers crossed. Can you rule out poisoning (I've heard grapes can cause renal failure in dogs with a sensitivity)? With a younger dog, poisoning seems likely. I don't know where you live . .. but we've had wild grapes on the ground in abundance around here in Florida.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through this

1 - 20 of 26 Posts