Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ok well I completely agree with y'all. I think you should definitely scoop your poop in public places. Like if you live in a city or a nice little neighbor hood. Or at the vet or outside a pet store, or during a potty break during obedience class. But I live out in the county and I walk my dogs. There is nothing but horse pastures and fields around my house... So I don't scoop their poop on our walks. I have very few neighbors and if they saw me scooping my dogs poop they would probably bust out laughing. Esp if their poop is right beside a steaming pile of fresh cow poop.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The only time I leave poo is if it's too runny to pick up. But other then that I completely agree! Especially when there are SO MANY little poop bag stations and trash cans everywhere. MAYBE I could understand if you were a long way from home and forgot a bag, but there are so many conveniently placed bag stations available to use for free!!
Not all towns have them. I've seen one dog station in my town in the entire time I've lived here. There's not even one at the pet groomer's! :confused:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Is it just me, or is there ALOT of crabby people these days that have nothing better to do but insult, or treat people bad because they've had a bad day.
I think you may have had the bad day this time, because nobody was being "crabby" or insulting you. "Preaching to the choir" = We all completely understand the poop thing and where you're coming from, and when I said it, I even put a smiley face at the end of my post to make sure nobody took it as me being mean, insulting or crabby.

Tone of voice cannot always be assumed over the internet.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
that is my biggest thing too, i hate it when i see people do it, so, i confront them!! and they hate it, but, i put it back in their face and say " do YOU like it when dogs do that on your lawn????"

my son is always making sure we have plastic bags to take with us, and even when we go to the vet, he will clean it up.
I actually had a guy on my street ask me to let my dog poop in his yard, free fertilizer he said...

So far she has done so twice. If we are close when I know she's about to go (can tell because she actually puts a little pressure on the leash) I try to speed things up and get to his yard.

I pick it up elsewhere unless its too runny to, or I managed to forget to pack a couple of bags. She usually does it in the street right by the curb.

As for dogs pooping in my lawn? No big deal to me. I just pick it up like I do my dogs big poop piles. What's one more pile?

As for the person talking about doggie poop bag stations being everywhere, I gotta say I've never seen one in my life outside a dog park.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There was 1 time i did not pick up my dogs poo,He taught himself how to open the door and before i knew it he took off,so of course i go after him the only reason i caught him is because he stopped to poop and i had no baggies so i left it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I 100% agree with most of you in this thread. I always take some bags just in case my dog decides to do his business on his run or walk. The only time I hesitate about picking up his poop is when its runny and nasty.

Great forum, I'm glad I found it. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just picked up poop from my front yard this evening returning from walking my dogs (their poop in bags in my hand)

The poop in my front yard, was not my dogs... SO YES, I AM WITH YOU 100%

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think you may have had the bad day this time, because nobody was being "crabby" or insulting you. "Preaching to the choir" = We all completely understand the poop thing and where you're coming from, and when I said it, I even put a smiley face at the end of my post to make sure nobody took it as me being mean, insulting or crabby.

Tone of voice cannot always be assumed over the internet.
yes :)- preaching to the choir isn't an insult (as in just preaching to someone) but a saying just meaning that everyone is agreeing with you.

I am afraid that the selfish dog owners who leave their dogs poop behind may not be responsible enough to read a forum on dogs?
But a good reminder.

I know picking up poop freaks my hubby out, so I know I will have to make sure the dog poops in our garden or I will do all our walks (men :rolleyes:).

(just joking re men..well mostly ;))

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
As for the person talking about doggie poop bag stations being everywhere, I gotta say I've never seen one in my life outside a dog park.

Must be because I live in a relatively urban area XD

·
Registered
750 Posts
My dogs won't poo while on walks, don't know why... they just pee.
ONE TIME though... i believe i took prudi out at the same time she was going to potty (i didn't know)..
This was funny because we started walking, and passed infront of the house where there is this crazy dog that always follows and barks at us and prudi just squatted, and bombs away, INFRONT of the door, i didn't have bags... so we just ran away.:p

·
Registered
434 Posts
Poo bags are stuffed in every pocket of every coat I own, so that even if I forget to take any when I go out the door they will be there already.

What blows my mind, is that on the greenbelt trail we walk on regularly, you will sometimes see a bag of poop laid by the side of the path... in other words, someone bothered to bag it, only to leave it lying on the ground as litter afterwards anyway! >=(
I've actually done this when I go on a long walk near my neighborhood. It always gets picked up on the way back, I just really don't want to carry it all that way. I think that is other people's ideas but I think sometimes they forget (I've done that once and when I saw it again I picked it up to throw it away. I've also picked up bags that other people left int he park that I have no idea if they had forgotten or were going to come back for).

I pick up after my dog. I admit that when I'm walking in the dark (this is only in my neighborhood) there is a decent amount of times it doesn't get picked up cause I can't find it (if I find it during hte day on another walk I will pick it up though). This usually is in areas that are in an area of a lot of trees or lots of undergrowth (lawns and gravel areas are easy to find poop even in the dark).

And very rarely I run out of bags (I try to keep spares in my treat pouch if I forget to refill the leash container and also the waist pack I bought to keep my wallet/cellphone at the dog park so this rarely happens, but it does happen).

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've become guilty of this recently. I'd never had a dog poop, or even pee, on a walk, so I'm not used to grabbing baggies before we go. But now I do have a dog that will poop while walking, but I don't even think to grab bags until we're already halfway around the block. She's only done it a couple times, but "luckily" she does it in the street, so I don't feel as guilty as I would if it were in someone's yard... :eek:

I kind of frustrate myself because I hate it when people don't pick up the poop. I've just gone 12 years with never having to do it, so now I have to change my thinking a bit before walking out the door.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I guess maybe I did have a bad day lol....sorry for that. I thought that when you said about the preaching to choir that it meant that I was whinning? Now I know differently. I did have a bad day as the poop thing around here happens ALOT, and it gets to me when I have to say something everyday. I understand when it's runny, or you happen to forget a bag, or something but other then that it's NOT sanitary. Let's just say i've stepped on too many poop piles in my time since i've lived here lol. I appologize for being crabby i guess, lol.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I guess maybe I did have a bad day lol....sorry for that. I thought that when you said about the preaching to choir that it meant that I was whinning? Now I know differently. I did have a bad day as the poop thing around here happens ALOT, and it gets to me when I have to say something everyday. I understand when it's runny, or you happen to forget a bag, or something but other then that it's NOT sanitary. Let's just say i've stepped on too many poop piles in my time since i've lived here lol. I appologize for being crabby i guess, lol.
Must be urban, I live a nice suburban neighborhood with nice lawns all round..

The only people that don't pick up poop here are the people with little toy dogs who don't seem to think they need to. The people like me with bigger 50lb+ dogs generally do.

I'm far more likely to step on poop in my own back yard. ;)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I agree with everyone here. Not picking up your dog's poo is disrespectful and irresponsible. Every once in a while everyone gets in a situation where they do not have a bag for some reason or another. But there are people that regularly take their dogs out for walks simply because they do not want to clean up after them. My neighbor does it (she moving yeah!) As does a woman that lives by the vet clinic I work at. (I guess she figures one more "pile" won't make a difference.) That being said did you know that rats love dog poo? We had a rat problem a few years back because they were dredging our local creek for flood control. Well when they were done with the work the rats wanted to stay so the municipal sent out an exterminator to bait for the rats. He told me that rats just love dog poo (yuck). So I try to make sure I pick up my yard everyday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hate it when people don't pick up their dogs poop. Their is a place down the street from me that doesnt pick up after their own dog and their lawn, sidewalk, and street corner is covered in poop. I carry my dog around this place to avoid it.
They have a baggie thing that attaches to your leash that we use. Its great, always have plenty of bags at hand, and the only way you'd forget them is if you forgot the leash.

Something like the one in this link below:

Bags on a Roll Dispenser

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
My apartment building has a fenced-in dog run which should be a great convenience for dog owners, except it's completely disgusting because people don't clean up after themselves. I actually think bag dispensers makes things worse; people assume they don't need to carry their own bags, then blame the mess on the dispenser if it's empty.

The other problem is that people who don't even live in our building like to use the dog run, and have no qualms about leaving their waste behind. I confronted one guy who said he thought it got picked up. In other words, he (1) decided to trespass on private property (2) and assumed it was ok to use our maintenance staff - paid by our residents' monthly assessments - to clean up his dog's waste. I know it's bad training, but if there was ever a case where rubbing someone's nose in poop was justified, this was it (of course, I'm thinking of the owner instead fo the dog, so I guess that's different).

I did run out of bags once; I just emptied out my treat bag, and picked it up with that. Since then, I started keeping three rolls of biodegradable poop bags in my leash luggage, so I always have enough (and if 31-45 bags isn't enough, I've got some slightly more pressing issues).

21 - 39 of 39 Posts