Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, is grainless food like Wellness Core too much for an inactive dog? Is it ok to reccommend it to any dog? How much is it better than the supermix (with grain)

Is Natural Balance a middle of the road food or is it up there? What is it again that Large breed puppies cant have too much of when young...calcium or protein?

Is Halo's Spots Stew worth that price?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ok, is grainless food like Wellness Core too much for an inactive dog? Is it ok to reccommend it to any dog? How much is it better than the supermix (with grain)
Grainless food is fine for inactive dogs. My in laws' chihuahuas are fed Innova EVO, spend all day and all night of every day sleeping and they do very well on it.

Is Natural Balance a middle of the road food or is it up there? What is it again that Large breed puppies cant have too much of when young...calcium or protein?
Natural Balance is a very decent food, I'd say it's one of the higher quality foods available. And medium to large breed puppies really need to have their calcium levels watched, not so much protein. Although too much protein from a lower quality source is also something to watch out for.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. WHen you say the calcium levels, you mean that they dont get too much so their bones dont get messed up? If I were to usea food that didnt have a puppy forumla, would that be ok? What I mean is, if the food doesn't offer a large breed forumla for puppies, what do you do? You have to watch the milligrams or something of calcium in the food? How do you know whats too much? and what about if feeding raw? Lots of questions, I know.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It depends what you call inactive. Long term an inactive dog with a high metabolism will do fine. A dog with a slow metabolism and is inactive will become overweight. There are foods that are grain free that have moderate proteins and moderate fats. Look into these formulas to satisfy your knowledge; Go Grain Free (the new improved formula), Now, Natural Balance (tends to be low in protein for most dogs), Wellness Potato formulas.

·
Registered
325 Posts
WHen you say the calcium levels, you mean that they dont get too much so their bones dont get messed up?
Basically, yes. Too much calcium especially for a growing large breed puppy can lead to bone deformation.

If I were to use a food that didnt have a puppy forumla, would that be ok? What I mean is, if the food doesn't offer a large breed forumla for puppies, what do you do? You have to watch the milligrams or something of calcium in the food? How do you know whats too much? and what about if feeding raw? Lots of questions, I know.
I will always recommend using a puppy or 'all life stages' formula for a growing puppy. If you take a look at some of the grain free formulas you'll notice a good number of them are good for all life stages. However please note that Innova EVO is labeled all life stages even though it is high in calcium and most would not recommend it for a growing pup. Don't get me wrong, people have and do feed it to growing pups and I've not heard of any issues resulting but I say better safe than sorry.

With feeding raw it's less of a worry since raw is supposed to be biologically appropriate. It is important though to make sure when feeding raw that the puppy/dog eat both the meat and the raw bone and especially make sure they chew it and don't swallow it whole as many puppies have a tendency to do.

It depends what you call inactive. Long term an inactive dog with a high metabolism will do fine. A dog with a slow metabolism and is inactive will become overweight.
If I a dog has a slow metabolism and is also inactive there is a very simple solution to prevent obesity: feed less. ;)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Raw is the most natural way of feeding dogs. However, it requires balance in terms of the proportion of muscle, organ meat and bone. Some meats have a high calcium to phosphorus ratio. Chicken has the most ideal ratio. So if you go the raw route, make sure you give your dog a variety of proteins to attain balance over time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts