Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been trying to find a good car restraint system for Buffy. She is usually good in the car but climbed into the front seat once and I don't want to risk that happening again. I'm also tired of lugging her airline-style crate around all the time, so would prefer a harness-type restraint or something I can leave in the car (and of course I want her to be as safe as possible in case of an accident).

So far we've tried two kinds that I found in Petsmart. The first was this one and the second was basically the same with a more elaborate vest and a different way of attaching to the car. She's gotten out of both of these harnesses - once when we were walking from the car (the first one) and the next time when we saw some friends by the side of the road and pulled over to talk (the second one).

What I really like about the second one we have (which I can't find a pic for) is that it came with a tether that you can clip to your car's child safety seat loop rather than just passing a seatbelt through the back of the harness, which is how the first one worked. Buffy kept getting tangled in the one that used the actual car seatbelt.

Her not being able to get out of it and not getting tangled are my top priorities. We will be going on a 2.5-3 hour trip in the car over the weekend, and I'm a little worried about it. I think I may just crate her the whole time but I'd like better options for the future. Oh I drive a VW Golf (compact hatchback) if it matters. The back seats fold down but I prefer to leave them as seats. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I bought a cheapie harness at the pet store. It says it's not designed to prevent injury in case of an accident, but all the ones I have looked at say the same thing. And I do think they would help prevent injury even if they are not designed for it, because at the very least they would stop your dog flying through the car and through the windscreen. If the car is a total write off then even a crate isn't going to protect the dog, it would just squash, and if that did happen, the people in the car would be prioritised, not the dog.

Mine is the type where you put the whole seatbelt through the loop, and I think I would prefer one that has a separate attachment thingy, so if those are your two options, go with the second one. A nice, wide chest plate is also something you would want, because then it would distribute pressure more evenly.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have that same seatbelt that you linked. My puppy didn't get out of it, but the chest piece kept sliding up into his neck, so I got one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GDVUXC/ref=oss_product I like it better because it is easier to put on and take off. It doesn't go over the head and it doesn't slide up. Both straps snap together. The chest strap isn't very wide though, but the strap does snap into the seatbelt buckle.

·
Banned
808 Posts
I use crates. For a restraint type I would go with a normal sturdy dog harness and the clip that fits onto your seat belt. I am not impressed with the cutsie restraint systems they started selling to get into a market to make people feel their dogs were being treated like babies as they just do not support the dog realistically. A normal sturdy walking harness made of nylon and the original belt buckle restraint is best thing out there IMO.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I thought the same thing after I posted. Maybe just get a normal, comfy harness that distributes pressure evenly (like the puppia ones) and get a separate seatbelt attachment for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since I've been short on cash lately, I've been using a makeshift restraint using Rascal's normal harness (http://www.doxidelight.com/harness.htm). I just wrap his leash around the headrest a few times and clip the leash back to the harness to secure it. It's not the ideal situation, but it works for our short trips. He has enough leash to lie down comfortably. but not enough to move off his seat. Eventually, when I have more cash I may invest in a better system or a sturdy travel crate.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments everyone. I have been thinking of just clipping the tether to one of her regular harnesses that I know she can't get out of, but thought that wasn't as safe. But, the other ones might not be much safer anyway, so it does sound like a good alternative. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh that looks like a good one. And I don't think she'd be able to get out of it. I might try it, thanks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I vote for the crate. In my case since I am usually alone when driving my dog around, I really have no other choice. I can't afford a distraction at 65 MPH. And it's safer for her to be in an appropriate size crate. Add to that the fact she is calmer and more relaxed in the crate and it's a non brainer. If I try to have her on a seatbelt harness she stays real excited.

I made a platform that sits on the back seat and anchors to the seat belt. The platform and crate with bungies and can be put in the car in under 5 mins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts