Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my wife and I found a lost cocker spaniel and we are trying to reunite him with its owners. We know the pup is microchipped because the local Vet located the chip and called the registered phone number - number disconnected. Unfortunately the vet's office could not give us the owner's name or address. At this point we are like...Hmmmm...how are we supposed to help this poor pup if we cant get any info. The microchip number is: 0A113B7F36, advice/help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
You can call the chip company and give them the number
I searched to see what company it might be with-
This is most likely a microchip from:
Pet Health Insurance (24PetWatch) (866-597-2424)
If it's not registered there, try
Found a lost pet?
Call 1 888 HOME AGAIN (1 888 466 3242)
You can also try taking the dog to another vet and seeing if they will take the time to search the public records on the owner's name and address (to look for another phone number) and/or be willing to mail an actual postcard or letter to that address.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are microchip registries you can search - some googling will pull up some options.

I hate to say it though, but sometimes people just move and leave their pet behind. This happened to us with a cat who followed my husband home - literally just followed him into the parking lot and work and jumped in his car when he opened the door. We had her scanned, called the number on the chip, left messages... Nobody called back. That was provably 4 or 5 years ago now. She lives a happy, spoiled life with my in-laws.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I went through something like this. I found a dog with a city license, the staff couldn't give me the name, but called the number and got a "not known" recorded message. I asked for the name, again turned down, so I asked for the associated Vet. I was told the Vet wouldn't give me the name either, "I understand, is there any regulation against telling me who the Vet is with no other info?"

I think the staff recognized my plan, gave me the Vet's name, and wished me luck. I took the dog to the Vet, and asked if they recognized him. "Yes, that's Fido, John Smith's dog." "Would you please contact John Smith?" Successful contact, and I left the dog with the Vet... anonymously.

If the Vet hadn't made contact, I might have asked for the owner's name... or guided them how to look it up on the Web for a new phone number.

In your case, if that was Not the Vet for that dog, you might ask for the name of the dog's Vet ... and go visit directly. You could also try to persuade the Vet, "What should I do?" "I don't know, Sir" "Well, we can't take care of this dog, so we'll have to drop it off at the local [kill after 3 days] shelter. Please ask someone to call me, I'd hate such a sweet dog to be euthanized."

Don't take the dog to the shelter :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all thanks for all the responses, excellent advice and input.

You can call the chip company and give them the number
I searched to see what company it might be with-

This is most likely a microchip from:
Pet Health Insurance (24PetWatch) (866-597-2424)
You were correct, he was registered with 24PetWatch. Unfortunately the phone was disconnected, but there was an email on file and they sent the owner a message. I hope this is another success story!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I went through something like this. I found a dog with a city license, the staff couldn't give me the name, but called the number and got a "not known" recorded message. I asked for the name, again turned down, so I asked for the associated Vet. I was told the Vet wouldn't give me the name either, "I understand, is there any regulation against telling me who the Vet is with no other info?"

I think the staff recognized my plan, gave me the Vet's name, and wished me luck. I took the dog to the Vet, and asked if they recognized him. "Yes, that's Fido, John Smith's dog." "Would you please contact John Smith?" Successful contact, and I left the dog with the Vet... anonymously.

If the Vet hadn't made contact, I might have asked for the owner's name... or guided them how to look it up on the Web for a new phone number.

In your case, if that was Not the Vet for that dog, you might ask for the name of the dog's Vet ... and go visit directly. You could also try to persuade the Vet, "What should I do?" "I don't know, Sir" "Well, we can't take care of this dog, so we'll have to drop it off at the local [kill after 3 days] shelter. Please ask someone to call me, I'd hate such a sweet dog to be euthanized."

Don't take the dog to the shelter :)
I got a call from a small town local shelter that they had a dog I had put down just a few months previous, by his rabies tag. Having been present when Rollo left this plain, I knew it wasn't him, but curiosity got the better of me, so I dropped by the shelter. The shelter manager GAVE me the collar and I gave the number to my vet's office. they had record of the owner and called him. I guess different shelters/vets have different policies. But it seems to me that when a dog HAS ID, they would want to do what they could to locate the owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts