Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blue Buffalo.....I think the ingredients are awesome...what is missing that makes you guys post that there is better out there????

Ingredients

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye, Whole Potatoes, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Taurine, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Shidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Turmeric, Garlic, Sunflower Oil (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Herring Oil (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Dried Chicory Root, Black Malted Barley, Oil of Rosemary, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin C, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Salt, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, Bifidobacterium longum, Enterococcus faecium.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 24.0% min
Crude Fat 14.0% min
Crude Fiber 4.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Calcium 1.0% min
Phosphorus 0.90% min
L-Carnitine* 100 mg/kg min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.25% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 3.50% min
Beta Carotene* 5.0 mg/kg min
Glucosamine* 400 mg/kg max

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
______

·
Registered
179 Posts
Here's the review as posted on dogfoodanalysis.com:

The first ingredient in the food is a named meat product, as is the second. Since the first is chicken inclusive of its water content (about 80%) and once that is removed it is likely that this ingredient would be more accurately placed somewhat further down the ingredient list (ingredients are listed in order of weight). Note that this is an example of the practice of “splitting” (see note on main page).

The next three ingredients are grains. All are good quality, but the product starts to appear rather grain heavy. Potato is a further carbohydrate source, tomato pomace, however, is primarily filler. Black malted molasses is a source of sugar we prefer not to see in dog food, and is likely to contribute to yeast infections.

We appreciate the use of whole vegetables in the food. There is a good range of probiotics also. Glucosamine and Chondroitin are present, but not in any significant doses.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I think it's a pretty good food, and I buy it when I can get a good price on it (on sale and I have a coupon, otherwise too $$$). But it's not the BEST out there in terms of ingredients. Better than most dog foods, though, and it's the best that you can buy at Petsmart.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think "best" foods is an individual decision. What I think is the "best" dog food and works for my dogs may not be the "best" for your dogs. Blue Buffalo is a great food, better than alot of others. IMHO, when others say there is better food out there, they are thinking of the grains in Blue. Most people think the "best" foods are grain-free. So to them being grain-inclusive automatically makes Blue a lesser food. Just remember Dog Food Analysis is a tool for people to use. It gives you an idea of what foods have better ingredients than others, etc. It actually is just someone elses opinion based on what ingredients they think are good or bad. It lists some very, very good foods as 4-star. Foods that work fantastic for my 3 dogs. In fact, I have used some of the 6-star and 5-star foods that haven't done so well for my 3. So, I use it as a tool only and then go from there by actually trying out various foods with my dogs to see which I consider to be the "best". Finally, I say if Blue Buffalo works for your dog, is in your price range, your dog likes it, you can get it easily then use it and don't look back! I hope this response wasn't too convoluted lol! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here's the review as posted on dogfoodanalysis.com:

The first ingredient in the food is a named meat product, as is the second. Since the first is chicken inclusive of its water content (about 80%) and once that is removed it is likely that this ingredient would be more accurately placed somewhat further down the ingredient list (ingredients are listed in order of weight). Note that this is an example of the practice of “splitting” (see note on main page).

The next three ingredients are grains. All are good quality, but the product starts to appear rather grain heavy. Potato is a further carbohydrate source, tomato pomace, however, is primarily filler. Black malted molasses is a source of sugar we prefer not to see in dog food, and is likely to contribute to yeast infections.

We appreciate the use of whole vegetables in the food. There is a good range of probiotics also. Glucosamine and Chondroitin are present, but not in any significant doses.
I might be mistaken but my understanding is that having chicken and then chicken meal as the first 2 ingredients would mean that there was a lot of chicken in the food so it is probably placed correctly in the food ingredients list.

Tomato pomace is a source of fiber found in many pet foods-- a natural source of lycopene and vitamin B. Also an anti-oxidant.

Black malted barley comes way down the ingredient list. It too is a source of fiber and carbohydrates. I agree that it can add sweetness but so far down in the list, I doubt it is doing much more than possibly adding color. Can't comment on the yeast infection likelihood as I haven't heard that before. Again, I would venture to say not enough in the food to cause a problem--but just my opinion.

And if you're wondering-- I feed Blue Buffalo and have for over four years with excellent results!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I like other food better than BB b/c (at least in the BB formula you posted here), it is full of grain and has a lower meat content than a lot of grain free premium food choices out there. FWIW, I feed both my dogs Innova Evo (both the regular formula and the red meat formula).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like other food better than BB b/c (at least in the BB formula you posted here), it is full of grain and has a lower meat content than a lot of grain free premium food choices out there. FWIW, I feed both my dogs Innova Evo (both the regular formula and the red meat formula).
Agreed. Most of the Blue Buffalo formulas contain a variety of whole grains. And I like the combination of real meat, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. It works for my dog. But that is only my opinion.

Blue Buffalo does have products for different ages and life styles of dogs. FWIW, Blue's Wilderness is a low grain (oatmeal-6th or 7th ingredient), multiple protein (meat/fish) product designed for active, working dogs. IMO the plus is that Wilderness also has the Life Source Bits found in all of the other Blue kibble products.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts