Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Some of you may have read my earlier posts about Echo's on-again-off-again problems with UTIs. The more we find out, it seems as if she's had constant infection from basically when we adopted her as a young puppy (she's 6 mo. now). She's been through three rounds of antibiotics, none of which have gotten her completely over her infection.

Her vet found crystals in her urine- a sign of cronic infection. Her white blood cell count is very high in her urine (and has been for months)- signaling infection as well. She's having tests run now. We're hoping to find that the type of bacteria that she is infected with is resistant to the particular antibiotic that she's been given. if that is the case, then we try her on a different one. If it is a type of bacteria that should be defeated by this particular antibiotic, then we have much cause for worry, and surgeries may be in her future.

Our lab results will be in in about a week. Please keep this precious little girl in your thoughts and prayers. She's understandably not feeling well :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
Poor baby. Of course good thoughts and prayers are coming your way.
I hope she is feeling better soon.
I had a dog once that had bladder stone surgery and he did fine. I think he had to be on special food afterward. Did they discuss diet with you ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, they haven't discussed diet yet... although every time i bring her in they ask again what kind of food we are feeding.

What kind of diet did they put your dog on? Also, what were your dog's symptoms?

Thank you for the post.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that she isn't feeling well...poor baby...UTI's are so painful. :(

She'll be in my thoughts.

·
Registered
306 Posts
No, they haven't discussed diet yet... although every time i bring her in they ask again what kind of food we are feeding.

What kind of diet did they put your dog on? Also, what were your dog's symptoms?

Thank you for the post.
This has been a few years ago but he had blood in his urine and difficulty urinating (he was 8 years old at the time) After the bladder stone surgery they put him on a prescription food to keep the urine PH at a certain level. He never had any more problems and lived to the age of 15 1/2. I think we all know more about nutrition now and maybe your vet can help you with a diet (other than the prescription) that will help her so she does not develop stones.
I also have a rescue now that had crystals in his urine when I got him(3 years ago) and he was only 1 year old at the time. The problem there turned out to be the fact that he wasn't let outside enough when he was a puppy and he got used to "holding it" for too long causing a chronic UTI and crystals in his urine. He probably would have developed stones if he had stayed where he was. I have him on eagle pack food--give him lots of water and take him out frequently and he is ok now.
I hope they find a good treatment plan for you and echo.

·
Registered
267 Posts
So what kind of food is Echo eating? I know how upsetting and frustrating this can be, as we just were in your shoes this past April.

We were told Lexi had UTI and Struvite Crystals about 3 months ago. After xraying her they found no stones, but her PH was too high and there were loads of crystals. We've had her since she was a pup and is now two years old. I had never had a female dog before and thought perhaps it may be normal for her to pee every two seconds while walking. I had mentioned it to the vet two years ago, and they did not make much of it, so I ignored it and thought this was the way it was supposed to be. When she started going in the house right after coming from outside, and acting kind of depressed, I insisted on a culture. So after two rounds of antibiotics and two Rx diets (that didn't work by the way) we were finally crystal free last week. Here's what's been working for us. I have switched her to Wellness Core (low fat cause she's three pounds overweight) and add about 1/8-1/4 cup water to the dry kibble. I then add some canned food (either Wellness or Eagle Pack Holistic Select). The canned food (75% moisture) + the added water is working for us. Apparently, Lexi doesn't drink water during the day, and I'm thinking her urine was too concentrated. The Vet said to keep doing what I'm doing cause it seems to be working, and we should test her again at her next annual exam.

Does Echo drink enough water? How big is she. I have found that a 24 lb dog should have about 2+ cups of water daily - between the moisture from food and the fresh bowl of H2O. I hope you can get her UTI's under control with the antibiotics, and please keep us posted. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I'm so sorry! Sending good thoughts to Echo and you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you so much for your replies.

To answer the question about her food, she has been on TOTW Pacific Stream for about a month and a half now. We switched over from Nature's recipe lamb and brown rice. She seems to be doing very well on the food, and had no major problems switching over.

She's a little over 45 lbs at 6 months, and drinks a fair amount of water, although i've never monitored exactly how much per day. I will keep an eye on that.

What cued us to her UTIs in the first place was her inability to "hold it" when she got excited (yes, we thought it may just be excitement peeing at first), coupled with what seemed like anxiety (pacing), ringing the bell to go out much more (when not always going), and whining. None of this has ever really improved, understandably.

bfoster, that is very interesting about your dog having developed chronic UTIs from not being taken out enough as a puppy. I taught Echo to ring a bell from a very young age, and besides setting an alarm to take her out every few hours when she was a young puppy, I have always relied on her to ring the bell to alert me. I haven't considered that maybe she doesn't know when she has to go. I'll try taking her out more often and see if that may could help.

Anything to help her. She's such a good young dog, and I can't imagine how she must have been feeling for the past few months. Thank you all for your thoughts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update--- Echo's test results came in, and as the vet put it, "there's good news and bad news."

He was surprised to find that no bacterial infection was detected in her urine. That was the good news.

Bad news was that doesn't explain the white blood cell count present. He supposes the crystals could be present after a long stint of infections, but the white blood cell count is still off. ...signaling infection somewhere.

Here's what he suggested to do:
I was planning on getting her spayed soon. He said he could do the spay, and while he's "in there," open up just a bit further and have a look around for anything abnormal. He said that is where he would prefer to start.

He said another option would be radiograph, but since he'll already be operating, he'd prefer to try that second if he doesn't find anything the other way.

So, at his advise, I scheduled her operation for tomorrow (Friday). I'm very nervous, but he assured me that the added procedures shouldn't be much more taxing on her to get over than the regular spay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts