Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dog is 2 years old and she is a pitbull and lab mix. we recently found out that she has hip displasia in both her hips and they are only about 25% in the sockets. my vet seemed really concerned about it so reffered us to an orthopedic surgeon which then told us she has torn both her cranial cruciate ligaments and he suggests we do a tplo and dont need to worry about her hips that she shuold be fine. i know hip displasia only gets worse and i wanted to know if anyone thinks if shell have problems down the road. i know you cant see her but like i said its 25% in both hips and i wont be able to afford tplo and a hip surgery. so i guess my question is would it be worth the risk to fix her knees and assume shell have no problems with her hips down the road? any help is appreciated thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
poor girl.

hard to say what to do in your dogs situation.

did the bad 'setting' of her hips cause her knees to go......if so fixing her knees without doing her hips may just cause her to tear her cruciates again.

she is so young to be having these issues.

I would probably go along with what the orthopedic surgeon suggested, and maybe if she does need her hips done down the road it may give you enough time to save up some money for the hip surgery too.

In the meantime.................did either your Vet or the Ortho. recommend any supplements to give your girl?

There are a few on the market that contain MSM which can really help with tendon and ligament injuries.

Hugz to your Girl.

·
Registered
427 Posts
How is her weight? If she's overweight she most likely will have further problems with her hips, if you keep her at a healthy weight, and well exercised, she might be able to live a long life with no problems with her hips.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts