Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the title sounds extreme but I feel like I am in an extreme situation now. I have a 3.5mo old male Dalmatian that has had crazy amounts of diarrhea since almost the day we got him which was at 7 weeks old. We have had him back and forth to the vet multiple times. Multiple stool samples have been taken and have come back negative every time. Medicine rounds that the vet have tried....

1) Antibiotics + Probiotic: Seemed to help while he was taking it but then the issue returned soon after finishing the treatment
2) De wormer + Coccidia treatment: This is the latest thing that was tried in an attempt to knock out a parasite that fecal tests just wernt revealing. This gave him diarrhea while he was on the treatment for 3 days but then he was solid for 5 days which was the longest he'd ever gone without a problem. Then all of a sudden it came back out of nowhere over the course of one day.

We have him eating Royal Cannin for digestive issues and just picked up another round of antibiotics / probiotic. That brings us to today. I'm going to list every bit of information I can think of that may pertain here in hopes something might help.

His cycle goes about every 2 hours throughout the day / night. Almost like clockwork he'll have to go out and have water like diarrhea accompanied with gas. He'll do this for about 3/4 of the day and then he'll go thru a period where he doesn't poop for 4-6 hrs at all towards the end of this period he'll start developing some rather stinky gas, his next bowel movement will be solid or semi-solid but then quickly go down hill. From there he goes right back to the watery diahrea every 2hrs. This has been the cycle almost every day for months now.

We at first thought that the issue was something that he was eating, something that just didnt agree with him but during his 5 day period of no issues, he snacked on many of the normal things that we would try to keep him from, sticks, grass, cat food here and there when he can sneak it. These things gave him no issues at all, that is until that final day when it all went down hill.

Now my thoughts are switching to something that may be living in our yard, soil, etc... is this even possible? Could there be something in our yard that is infecting him and causing this over and over and if so, how can we stop it?? Are there yard treatments that are available to kill off things like this?

We have been dealing with this for so long, we love this little guy so much but there is only so much we can take... neither my wife or I can sleep much with this issue as we are constantly waking at night to take him out, my children aren't going to understand why he's going to have to go if we can't solve this issue... what's even worse is I can't even have a straight discussion with my vet about this due to how they are running their business during Covid... Everything is relayed back and forth, I haven't gotten to actually speak with them face to face about it personally. We are at our wits ends and dont know what to do... we are willing to do anything we can but have no clue where to go from here. Someone... please help.

·
Registered
304 Posts
We got Murphy at 8 weeks and he was fine with dry food but at 7 months he got giardia and went off his food then he started getting diarrhea, the vet did all the things you vet has done and we tried the hypoallegeric food at mega $$$ that was useless Murphy didnt eat for 3 days.

Then we decided to try raw so that we could see exactly what we were putting into our dog.. It does take weeks but we found he is sensitive to grain.. Too much gives him gas and diarrhea, and beef which is added to some degree in almost all dog foods..Beef is his worst enemy, beef really makes him sick.

Once we found this out we could plan what to feed but he was doing so well on raw we just kept him on it now nearly 3 years on hes happy and healthy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My friend's cat has IBD. She was dealing with water stools and gas for mounts. Now she is doing fine, but the vet said it can come back. Her treatment was metronidazole two times a day for two mounts, a hypoallergic diet (with hydrolyzed protein) and B12 vitamin supplements.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I've written about this at length in older posts but I went through something similar when my dog was puppy to around 1.5 years of age. He didn't always have diarrhea but the bouts happened frequently and he would oscillate between totally normal stool to liquid explosions for days. I have spent over $1000 trying to figure it out and every test we did (multiple fecals, bloodwork, proactively treating for parasites, etc) came back negative or normal. So I get your frustration.

I am not at all suggesting that what your dog has is what my dog had, since there are MANY causes for chronic diarrhea. For my dog, I still don't know exactly what it was but the only thing that helped him was Tylan/tylosin. It is a type of antibiotic. Before that, we tried other antibiotics to no effect. During the worst of it, a course of tylan would cure my dog's diarrhea pretty much overnight, and his stool stayed firm after treatment, until the next bout. My vet told me I can pretty much give him tylan whenever he has unresolvable diarrhea. Between 2-3 years of age I think I only had to use it once. Now my dog is 3.5 yrs and I feed him like I would a normal dog. I give him all sorts of treats, chews, human food, etc. and he is fine. Every now and then he has an instance of diarrhea but it resolves in a very normal way - I just don't feed him for 12-24 hours to clear his system and then he is fine.

Just sharing my story in hopes that it can help you have further conversations with your vet. I hope you figure it out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know the title sounds extreme but I feel like I am in an extreme situation now. I have a 3.5mo old male Dalmatian that has had crazy amounts of diarrhea since almost the day we got him which was at 7 weeks old. We have had him back and forth to the vet multiple times. Multiple stool samples have been taken and have come back negative every time. Medicine rounds that the vet have tried....

1) Antibiotics + Probiotic: Seemed to help while he was taking it but then the issue returned soon after finishing the treatment
2) De wormer + Coccidia treatment: This is the latest thing that was tried in an attempt to knock out a parasite that fecal tests just wernt revealing. This gave him diarrhea while he was on the treatment for 3 days but then he was solid for 5 days which was the longest he'd ever gone without a problem. Then all of a sudden it came back out of nowhere over the course of one day.

We have him eating Royal Cannin for digestive issues and just picked up another round of antibiotics / probiotic. That brings us to today. I'm going to list every bit of information I can think of that may pertain here in hopes something might help.

His cycle goes about every 2 hours throughout the day / night. Almost like clockwork he'll have to go out and have water like diarrhea accompanied with gas. He'll do this for about 3/4 of the day and then he'll go thru a period where he doesn't poop for 4-6 hrs at all towards the end of this period he'll start developing some rather stinky gas, his next bowel movement will be solid or semi-solid but then quickly go down hill. From there he goes right back to the watery diahrea every 2hrs. This has been the cycle almost every day for months now.

We at first thought that the issue was something that he was eating, something that just didnt agree with him but during his 5 day period of no issues, he snacked on many of the normal things that we would try to keep him from, sticks, grass, cat food here and there when he can sneak it. These things gave him no issues at all, that is until that final day when it all went down hill.

Now my thoughts are switching to something that may be living in our yard, soil, etc... is this even possible? Could there be something in our yard that is infecting him and causing this over and over and if so, how can we stop it?? Are there yard treatments that are available to kill off things like this?

We have been dealing with this for so long, we love this little guy so much but there is only so much we can take... neither my wife or I can sleep much with this issue as we are constantly waking at night to take him out, my children aren't going to understand why he's going to have to go if we can't solve this issue... what's even worse is I can't even have a straight discussion with my vet about this due to how they are running their business during Covid... Everything is relayed back and forth, I haven't gotten to actually speak with them face to face about it personally. We are at our wits ends and dont know what to do... we are willing to do anything we can but have no clue where to go from here. Someone... please help.
I don't know how long you have had him on Royal Canan... When I look at the ingredients, first few are Chicken by-product meal, brown rice, corn, brewers rice, chicken fat, natural flavors, egg product, corn gluten meal, they don't look like a very healthy line-up. Most people think that vets and doctors are gods and would do no harm. Some of them don't know the difference and others don't care. Chicken bothers a lot of dogs and if you read Brian Clement's book "Poison Poultry" it might help clear up some misunderstandings. Plus By-product of meats as the 1st ingredient is never a good listing. Corn is rough on digestion and doesn't belong in a dog's diet. "Natural flavors" is a term used by the food industry to cover any of a large range of total crap and toxic ingredients....
You don't want to be giving your dog any form of dairy which may cause intestonal problems as well as other problems.
Have you tried a food with salmon as the first ingredient? There are several on the market, Taste of the Wild has one, but you don't find it in grocery stores. Try Chewy.com, Tractor Supply or a pet food supply store.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so, it's been a bit since I've updated on here, thank you every one for the information that you've shared. Since my initial posting, the vet tried putting my dog on a long term probiotic and an antibiotic. This cleared things up IMMEDIATELY. He was the antibiotic for 14 days and the probiotic for the foreseeable future. Everything has been great, perfect bowel movements except for every now and again when he got ahold of some of the cat's food but still nothing like the explosive diarrhea that he was having before. I wish I could say case closed but I cant sadly. 2 days ago was the last dose of his antibiotic and his problem came roaring back. So whatever the issue is, the antibiotic was keeping it at bay.

I've written about this at length in older posts but I went through something similar when my dog was puppy to around 1.5 years of age. He didn't always have diarrhea but the bouts happened frequently and he would oscillate between totally normal stool to liquid explosions for days. I have spent over $1000 trying to figure it out and every test we did (multiple fecals, bloodwork, proactively treating for parasites, etc) came back negative or normal. So I get your frustration.

I am not at all suggesting that what your dog has is what my dog had, since there are MANY causes for chronic diarrhea. For my dog, I still don't know exactly what it was but the only thing that helped him was Tylan/tylosin. It is a type of antibiotic. Before that, we tried other antibiotics to no effect. During the worst of it, a course of tylan would cure my dog's diarrhea pretty much overnight, and his stool stayed firm after treatment, until the next bout. My vet told me I can pretty much give him tylan whenever he has unresolvable diarrhea. Between 2-3 years of age I think I only had to use it once. Now my dog is 3.5 yrs and I feed him like I would a normal dog. I give him all sorts of treats, chews, human food, etc. and he is fine. Every now and then he has an instance of diarrhea but it resolves in a very normal way - I just don't feed him for 12-24 hours to clear his system and then he is fine.

Just sharing my story in hopes that it can help you have further conversations with your vet. I hope you figure it out!
Canyx... it's not an exact match to your situation but the fact that the antibiotic was the only thing that helped makes it sound like I may be dealing with a very similar issue.

So I still dont know what the hell is going on but at least I know now that whatever it is seems to respond to antibiotics. Unfortunately, I already threw the bottle away before the problem came back so I can't check to see if it was the same antibiotic. I guess we can count this as some kind of progress. Antibiotics are cheap so if keeping him on this is safe for him and the answer, then I can live with that. I'm going to call my vet first thing in the morning and see where we go from here. Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I'm glad that you found something that worked! Your vet will have more insight on the long term use of antibiotics. I hope you find a long term solution that works! I understand how frustrating this can be.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi Spawn,

I'm very sorry to hear that you were experiencing these issues before but am happy to hear that you were able to find a solution with probiotics.

I would recommend trying Purina FortiFlora. It is a great product for pets with intestinal and diarrhea issues. It has a special strain of probiotic that has been proven to promote intestinal health and balance, as well as improve immune health. It contains high levels of antioxidants such as Vitamins A, E, and C and also has a sufficient amount of live active cultures, which provide your pet with excellent intestinal health. It is a great remedy for pets that have diarrhea due to stressful situations and food intolerances.

This is an over-the-counter item your Vet could also suggest for your pet in the long term.

-Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts