Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shadow is driving my wife and i nuts! He bites us like crazy. I know he is a puppy but he prefers to bite us instead of his toys which we try to play with him with. We throw a toy and he brings it back and bites, or he pays no attention to the toy and just bites! If we tell him no he starts barking at us! What am i doing wrong? We teach him obedience commands. Most the time he will sit and lay down on command. He is being taken to puppy classes (we've only been to one since last week was a blizzard) and his second class is tomorrow. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
673 Posts
The obedience classes I take my pup to don't really teach about how to stop play biting unless you specifically ask the teacher after class. I have the same problem as you and I'm finding this really helps:

1. Use toys with your hands and play with her more. When she goes for the toy and touches her teeth on your hand as well as the toy yell OUCH and try again, if she does this again repeat the ouch and do not play with her for a few minutes. You keep doing this until she gets the message.

2. You can use treats like this as well, make her sit and hold onto the treat and don't give it to her until she knows what nice means and not touching her teeth on your fingers.

You will have to do this quite often and for awhile with consistency but she should get it. I have had quite an improvement with Dakota [almost 10 months old] and I think she's finally showing progress. Some dogs are more mouthy than others even if they are with their litter mates up to 8 to 10 weeks old or whatever and play with other dogs. I'm sure maturity will play a roll as well

·
Registered
1 Posts
You should read Leader Of The Pack and Puppy Primer By Patricia McConnell. It teaches bite inhibition and exactly tells you the steps needed to TEACH the pup. ALso Yelp like a puppy would..."ARWP! Then leave him/her alone, make no eye contact. By doing this the pup learns that biting means game ends and thats no fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts