Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a breed of dog similar to the Siberian husky that's loyal and can be trusted without a leash.If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated thanks!.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
American Eskimo, maybe? Most sledding type dogs don't do so well off leash, but AE are also used as herders and tend to do better. Very, very different look, though.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Similar in what way... in looks? Or in temperament?

Most of the spitz breeds tend to be bad off-leash unless extensively trained. Is there any reason you can't use a long leash when walking?

(I will also add that most dogs in general need training to be good off-leash. Recall training is a must. I would not advise letting any dog roam around free when you're not there watching them.)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
American Eskimo, maybe? Most sledding type dogs don't do so well off leash, but AE are also used as herders and tend to do better. Very, very different look, though.
My old AE was not good off leash until she reached 8 years old with lots of training. but I know every dog is different so Cassy might have been the odd one out.

Though any dog you get, OP, you'll have to train off lead. They don't come pre-trained to stay next to you all the times unless you get a very velcro dog

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
They don't come pre-trained to stay next to you all the times unless you get a very velcro dog
Yes. Definitely seconding this for emphasis. It definitely takes training and work, regardless of breed. Just... some are more capable than others.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Yes. Definitely seconding this for emphasis. It definitely takes training and work, regardless of breed. Just... some are more capable than others.
and too add, Manna is a very velcro dog but I won't be trusting her off lead for at least another year or so, her training isn't there yet. I do suggest a long leash though that is comfortable in your hands or one you can hook onto your belt if you don't want to be holding a leash. (I walk Manna with my belt on a lot) at least if the pup is tied to your belt, you can still grab the lead if things turn wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Similar in what way... in looks? Or in temperament?

Most of the spitz breeds tend to be bad off-leash unless extensively trained. Is there any reason you can't use a long leash when walking?

(I will also add that most dogs in general need training to be good off-leash. Recall training is a must. I would not advise letting any dog roam around free when you're not there watching them.)
Looks please

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Spitzy breeds vary in temperament and exercise needs and all of that, so before we can suggest breeds, we need to know what you'd like to do with the dog. Few questions:

1. How often do you want to groom a dog?
2. How much exercise can you give the dog every day?
3. Will the dog live inside or outside? Do you have a fence?
4. Have you owned and trained a dog before?
5. Do you only want a purebred, or would a mix be fine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spitzy breeds vary in temperament and exercise needs and all of that, so before we can suggest breeds, we need to know what you'd like to do with the dog. Few questions:

1. How often do you want to groom a dog?
2. How much exercise can you give the dog every day?
3. Will the dog live inside or outside? Do you have a fence?
4. Have you owned and trained a dog before?
5. Do you only want a purebred, or would a mix be fine?
1.As much as it needs.
2.Everyday - morning and night for about an hour. 3.It would be able to live inside and out and yes I have a fence about 5 feet tall 4.No.
5.Either would be fine.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
There are a few spitzy breeds that look like a husky, but are smaller... Shiba Inu (especially the black and tan ones, which have more traditional-husky-looking markings), Finnish Lapphund, Alaskan Klee Kai... then there are bigger guys like the Alaskan Malamute. Here's a list of spitz breeds. Most of these breeds aren't good off-leash, though, even with training. They tend to have a high prey drive and if they see a cat or squirrel or whatever, they're gone. If you truly want a husky, you'll probably have to deal with letting the dog wear a long thin leash and clipping it to your belt or something. You could look into husky mixes, though -- a husky/German Shepherd or a husky/border collie or some other kind of husky/herder mix could be easier to train for off-leash hiking. :) There are tons of husky mixes on Petfinder because most people can't handle the energy level.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are a few spitzy breeds that look like a husky, but are smaller... Shiba Inu (especially the black and tan ones, which have more traditional-husky-looking markings), Finnish Lapphund, Alaskan Klee Kai... then there are bigger guys like the Alaskan Malamute. Here's a list of spitz breeds. Most of these breeds aren't good off-leash, though, even with training. They tend to have a high prey drive and if they see a cat or squirrel or whatever, they're gone. If you truly want a husky, you'll probably have to deal with letting the dog wear a long thin leash and clipping it to your belt or something. You could look into husky mixes, though -- a husky/German Shepherd or a husky/border collie or some other kind of husky/herder mix could be easier to train for off-leash hiking. :) There are tons of husky mixes on Petfinder because most people can't handle the energy level.
Thank you for the advice it really helps!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
You need to be aware that most northern breeds aren't exactly what you'd call 'loyal'. Most couldn't care whether you were handing them gold bars or bleeding in a ditch next to them. They're not exactly cuddly, and many have very very high prey drives and can and will probably escape almost any confine you put them in. Many also can't be trusted off leash, even with training.

Also, consider grooming. You wanna talk about hair. Mercy me. It's a never ending flow and then twice a year you will drown in it. Right now I'm vacuuming 3 times a day and it's not even making a dent.

Also, many need quite a bit of exercise and if you're not committed to it, you're gonna find that behavioral problems can crop up quickly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll second the Shiba Inu. Its the most popular breed in Japan and for good reason.
Another (perhaps extreme) alternative is the Czech wolf hybrid dog. Being crossed with German Shepherds they may be more people oriented then spitz dogs, but they are not really pets.

·
Registered
438 Posts
How about a Norwegian Elkhound? They look similar to a Husky, but I think they are not nearly as bad about escaping and roaming.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Ever seen the real story movie of the dog called "Hachi" or "Hachiko" (Japanese) with Richard Gere (double check my spelling pls) in it???

What a beautiful story of an Akita.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
1.As much as it needs.
2.Everyday - morning and night for about an hour. 3.It would be able to live inside and out and yes I have a fence about 5 feet tall 4.No.
5.Either would be fine.
A 5' tall fence will not contain most of the dogs suggested to you. You really cannot leave a lot of those dogs outside unattended, not for 30 seconds.

If you haven't owned a dog or trained a dog before, spitzes are going to be trial by fire. I'm not saying you can't do it, people do every day, but spitzes are not German Shepherds or Labs. GSDs and Labs are super biddable, i.e., they love people and really want to make us happy. That makes training relatively easy. Spitzes, on the other hand, are not that biddable. They don't really care. You can train them, they're still dogs, but it's not anywhere near as easy as training a GSD.

Just so you're aware.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
What about a Keeshond? I'm not sure specifically about the off leash part, but I know they tend to be more trainable than some of the other spitzy dogs. They also have that fluffy look.

·
Super Moderator
7,335 Posts
Eurasiers are considered to be one of the more trainable spitz breeds as well. They're quite rare outside of Germany, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts