Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea how to make my dog stop eating our food ? its like i cant turn around cuz she is gonna eat stuff from the stove ( wondering how she gets it out of the pot on the stove anyways ) ... im so tired of it , i want to feed my kids walk to the kitchen and the food is gone .... she acts like we dont feed her , and we always buy blue buffalo and give her food 3 times a day and she still does that crap .. please give me ideas how to make her stop it !

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You need to gate off the kitchen when you are preparing food. You also need to teach her 'leave it' and 'place / go to mat'. Read Control Unleashed to learn more about these behaviors or just google it. Keep all food items inaccessible to her while you are teaching her how you want her to behave. Dogs are opportunists... it has nothing to do with her being hungry or not. Don't leave any food out unless you want her to eat it.

If you can't gate off or remove all food, then you need to consider tethering. This will keep the dog attached to you and allow you to control her behavior as its happening. You may also consider crating during meal time.

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
Stealing food, as long as its available, is a self-rewarding activity.

Keep the food out of reach or keep the dog out of the kitchen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i understand if the food is on the floor or something , but when its on the stove in the pot and under cover( cuz it has to cool down before the kids can eat it ) and its way up high that she has to jump on something to reach it its crazy ! like i said everything is very high so i wonder how she reaches it in the first place...im gonna have to kennel her now when i make food or something ... she finished the petsmart training . she knows what leave it and drop it means , it just never works for her when it comes to food :) i guess black labs are always hungry dogs .. she always look for food :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts