Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 years old Lhasa / Shihtzu mix that i adopted back in January , right then on , i was having a problem with feeding him . He doesn't like the stainless steel bowl , he wouldn't even dare to get close to it , but wouldn't mind to drink from it . But as far as food , i had to handfeed him back then . Eventually we tried our own wooden bowl , and he would eat from it , but still would tip the bowl over so the food would be spread all over the floor and he would eat it that way . So problem solved , i let the bowl with food sit there , he can eat freely anytime he wants , he only eat once a day normally . We changed food 3 times too , thought it was the food , turned out it was always the bowl that became the problem .

Just couple of days ago , we adopted another dog , a 7 months old puppy ( schnauzer / affenpinscher mix ) with a very HUGE appetite , he acts like there will be no more food coming , so i have to eat them all now , quick , fast . He literally inhaled the food , that's how fast he eats ..

And the problem now is .. i can't leave bowl out for my 3 years old dog , because my 7 months old would just chow them down instantly and leave nothing for my 3 years old . The past 2 days i had to hand feed my 3 years old , so that he has something to eat . And we had to hold the puppy while me or my husband feeds the other dog .

What should i do ? i don't even put their bowl next to each other .. i hand feed , but a lot of time .. he gets so fussy even with hand feed . He is very self conscious dog when it comes to eating , i think he might have been abused with the stainless steel bowl and something really scares him when it comes to food . Tigger will stop eating if someone even watching and pointing at him eating .. I am so confused , 1 dog is about to eat anything he can find , and the other one is so self conscious .. what to do ? Please help , thank you .

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
You're not going to be able to free feed one dog and not the other. You're going to have to teach your older dog to eat when food is put down. You should institute the 15 minute rule. Anything your dog doesn't eat after 15 minutes gets put away until the next meal. Rinse and repeat until the dog learns that if they want the food, they have to eat it in a reasonable amount of time. A healthy dog will not starve himself. Hunger should get the best of him within just a couple days, if not sooner. Sydney used to be the same way and we were able change her habits over time.

Also, what food are you feeding? I know things got a lot better for us once we switched to a premium food with more meat in it. Some are so palatable she doesn't want to let it sit around for long. :) Taste of the Wild and Earthborn were foods that she really enjoyed, that are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If I understand correctly your three yr old won't eat from a bowl but will eat off the floor or from your hand??? If that is the case why not section him off from the puppy and feed from a cookie sheet or plate?? Allow him to eat and then feed the puppy once he is done ?? Or you can simply feed them in seperate areas at the same time, still feeding older dog "in private" off of a plate.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would feed the puppy in his crate and keep him there so the other dog can eat in peace. That's what I have to do with my boxer - he's a Hover, too! He stays in his crate until the other two finish eating. All my dogs eat well, though. They know that if they're not done in 15 minutes, the food disappears until the next meal - no picky eaters in my house! You can also put your older dog in a room behind a baby gate so the puppy can't get to the food. I've done that in the past with my daughter's dog when he stayed with us (he's a grazer - drives me nuts!).

To avoid feeding problems, I'd feed them in separate rooms. Maddie eats on one end of the kitchen, Potsie eats on the other end of the kitchen on the other side of the breakfast bar (they can't see each other eat), and Dempsey eats in his crate in the living room.

Concerning the metal bowl: does your dog's tag clank against it when he eats? If so, it might scare him. My poodle is schizo like that! Try feeding him from a low sided coffee cup saucer or something ceramic/glass. That may help. I wouldn't feed him by hand.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried Fromm , Vita ( something .. i forgot what it's called ) , and finally we settled with Natural Balance , it seems like that's the only one Tigger likes compared to Fromm and the other one . So we stick with that . We tried even plastic bowl , dog's plastic bowl but Tigger doesn't want to eat from it either , we thought it was because of the clanking too , but even when we took it off , he still wouldn't want to . When he drinks from the stainless steel bowl , he would stretch out his body .. so that his back legs wouldn't have to be too close , it's like when they're investigating something they're not sure of .. that's how he acts with drinking from the stainless steel bowl , and only wants to drink fresh water from the tap . If it's been sitting there for an hour or something .. he would rather thirsty and waits for me .. ( and to think this is a rescue dog ! LOL )

But anyway Roo , the new guy , the 7 months pup , would just snatch TIgger's cookies , even though both of them have the same thing . Tigger is very well mannered with food , and takes his time eating the snack but because he's taking too much time enjoying his treats .. Roo will get in Tigger's way to steal that cookie if we don't watch them .

Thanks for the suggestions , i think i will have to set a time , and if he doesn't eat then he will have to wait .. i hope he won't starve himself .

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
My daughter has two dogs that are free-fed. They graze all day long.

When they stay with us, though, they are fed twice-a-day. They are competing with a hound and a lab and their appetities miraculously improve for the duration of their visit.

There is so much I don't like about free-feeding a dog. I'll list the reasons if you like.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
How about using meal times as bonding and training times?

Sassy was extremely anxious about food and Max was just plain a nervous wreck. For quite a while I hand fed them from individual bowls so they got the right amount of food. First I fed each a few kibbles at exactly the same time one on either side of me as I sat on the sofa then alternating talking the whole time about who was getting what. Sassy had to eat slower and in proximity with another dog and Max learned Sassy wasn't all that scary. As time went on I incorporated good food taking by starting doggy zen where a grabby dog gets a closed fist and if the dog stops grabbing the hand opens and he gets the food. I also started putting the bowl down with more food in it in time, first every single kibble would be hand fed, then only about half then just a few handfuls. I also worked on obedience cues, sit/down/stand or even tricks at that time.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Feed them in two separate places and at a set time. My older papillon used to just not eat except for graze. I catered to her way too much but then got a puppy that was a food hound. Nowadays Summer goes in the pen to eat and Mia is fed outside the pen. I don't even have to shut the door now, they'll go there on their own and stay at the right bowl. But at first they were separate and then after 10 minutes, the food got pulled up and they were let out. Summer now eats her meals faster than Mia. She caught on very fast.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a 3 years old Lhasa / Shihtzu mix that i adopted back in January , right then on , i was having a problem with feeding him . He doesn't like the stainless steel bowl , he wouldn't even dare to get close to it , but wouldn't mind to drink from it . But as far as food , i had to handfeed him back then . Eventually we tried our own wooden bowl , and he would eat from it , but still would tip the bowl over so the food would be spread all over the floor and he would eat it that way . So problem solved , i let the bowl with food sit there , he can eat freely anytime he wants , he only eat once a day normally . We changed food 3 times too , thought it was the food , turned out it was always the bowl that became the problem .

Just couple of days ago , we adopted another dog , a 7 months old puppy ( schnauzer / affenpinscher mix ) with a very HUGE appetite , he acts like there will be no more food coming , so i have to eat them all now , quick , fast . He literally inhaled the food , that's how fast he eats ..

And the problem now is .. i can't leave bowl out for my 3 years old dog , because my 7 months old would just chow them down instantly and leave nothing for my 3 years old . The past 2 days i had to hand feed my 3 years old , so that he has something to eat . And we had to hold the puppy while me or my husband feeds the other dog .

What should i do ? i don't even put their bowl next to each other .. i hand feed , but a lot of time .. he gets so fussy even with hand feed . He is very self conscious dog when it comes to eating , i think he might have been abused with the stainless steel bowl and something really scares him when it comes to food . Tigger will stop eating if someone even watching and pointing at him eating .. I am so confused , 1 dog is about to eat anything he can find , and the other one is so self conscious .. what to do ? Please help , thank you .
I had a friend that had a sheltie that would only eat from a paper plate,didn't like bowls of any sort,never figured out why.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi everyone ,

I've tried one of the suggestion , i put Tigger in his pen along with a bowl of food yesterday , but he wouldn't touch it at all . He basically didn't eat anything for the whole day yesterday , and this morning i did the same i put his bowl in with him in the pen . And it's been just sitting there untouched .. This dog seems like on a hunger strike now .. what do i do ? Just keep doing the same thing ? I have no problem with Roo , he just finished his bowl in no time just now . My problem is TIgger .. you don't think that he's upset because we adopted Roo , do you ? They seem to get along just fine ..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hi everyone ,

I've tried one of the suggestion , i put Tigger in his pen along with a bowl of food yesterday , but he wouldn't touch it at all . He basically didn't eat anything for the whole day yesterday , and this morning i did the same i put his bowl in with him in the pen . And it's been just sitting there untouched .. This dog seems like on a hunger strike now .. what do i do ? Just keep doing the same thing ? I have no problem with Roo , he just finished his bowl in no time just now . My problem is TIgger .. you don't think that he's upset because we adopted Roo , do you ? They seem to get along just fine ..
What about no bowl and use a plate,something flat.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have no paper plate right now , but later this evening i'll put it on a plate then , hopefully he'll take it . Actually we thought about this a while back ago , since he was in a shelter for a month and then was living to 30 other dogs in one house and being neglected and all , it did come to our mind maybe he's so used being fed with a paper plate .. In the shelter he was fed using a paper plate also .. I will try that , and if it doesn't work with plate i'll get paper plate tomorrow . Thanks !!

·
Registered
438 Posts
i have no paper plate right now , but later this evening i'll put it on a plate then , hopefully he'll take it . Actually we thought about this a while back ago , since he was in a shelter for a month and then was living to 30 other dogs in one house and being neglected and all , it did come to our mind maybe he's so used being fed with a paper plate .. In the shelter he was fed using a paper plate also .. I will try that , and if it doesn't work with plate i'll get paper plate tomorrow . Thanks !!

I hope it works,maybe he just doesnt like the feel of the bowl against his whiskers...ha..ha..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL , u never know ..he's a bit strange in one ways or the other , but we still love him . It worries me when they don't eat .. cos u know , dogs , they eat anything , but Tigger is one exception . It's funny , Roo is like a super charged vacuum cleaner where he would inhaled anything he sees .. or given to him , while Tigger is the total opposite !!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
he is still trying to tip over the plate !! i guess .. next thing to try is paper plate then

1 - 16 of 16 Posts