Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a 6 yr old mostly Corgi with some shepherd in him a few weeks ago. He was super loving with my wife the last 2 weeks. She would sit on the floor with him and hug, kiss him ETC. Showed him lots of affection and he loved it. Talked, rolled onto his belly so she could rub it etc. Most loving dog with people i had ever seen. He does hate other dogs. When he is in the house a dog bark outside doesn't even phase him but if we walk him he lunges at other dogs and barks like crazy. They warned us of his aggressive behavior with other dogs before the adoption. That was his only downfall.

2 days ago, he got in this mood where when she trys to show him affection he doesn't really want it and even growls at her. Even snipped at her once. Yesterday he was better when i was at work but today he did it again. He is fine with me. He did roll around in some grass where there were new plants close by. He does seem a little dumpy/sick. Has a runny nose sometimes. Not sure what to do here. he went from being mr lover boy with her to moody. Looking for any help i can get cause my wife is very hurt and upset over this. Thanks. Terry

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would suggest taking him to the vet. A sudden mood change like that can sometimes indicate something is wrong medically, especially if he has been acting sick and has a runny nose. Sick or hurt dogs often don't want to be touched.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
A vet check is a good idea. Also, you may already know that many, many dogs don't like to be hugged and kissed and cuddled. Those gestures are the way humans show affection, but they aren't how dogs show affection, so many don't like being on the receiving end of those gestures.

He may have appeared to tolerate it because he was new to your home, and was attempting to go with the flow, so to speak. And, now that he is a bit more comfortable, he's letting you know what he doesn't like. Or, on the other hand, he may really like them, just not all the time. One of my dogs can be very cuddly and affectionate, but only when she's in the mood. If I catch her when she's not into cuddling, she will shy away as if she was afraid, when she's never been hit or even yelled at.

A growl is a good thing, in my opinion. A growl is the only real way a dog has to communicate with us, and it means they aren't comfortable with something for some reason. It may be because she has an injury or illness that makes her feel bad or on edge, or she may not always feel like being affectionate. Either way, at least she's letting you know by growling instead of just going straight to snapping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts