Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little guy Opie last Thursday on 4/11 got neutered and has been acting fine since his usual self, today my girlfriend was checking on him and found what we think is a stitch comming out and possible some oozing substance. We are unsure if they (stitches) fall out by themselves or even if this something to worry about. On top of that it seems like he has been itching or possible biting at the skin that covers his "manhood" if you will. I added the pictures below what should i do how much should i be worried. I'm going to try and get him into the vet tomorrow eerrrr today as soon as they are open

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag117/corbindallas18/904375_10100142321623555_11597157_o_zps95cfdf77.jpg

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag117/corbindallas18/IMG_20130418_243149_415-1_zps95f697a4.jpg

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag117/corbindallas18/IMG_20130418_243255_626_zpse2e1dad1.jpg

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
EEk that is def a hole (pic #2)... while it's not an immediate emergency, he could get an infection unless the wound/ suture failure is treated promptly....He needs to go to vet first thing on am... Cover it with a bandaid or something (unless you think he will eat the bandaid- does he have a cone on he needs one-- you can get one at the vet or petco)... alot of vets will let you just drop him off in the am (like enroute to work ) and call you for pick up or let you pick up later in the day after you get off work...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He does have a cone, and he's been good when he's been out and we have been trying to keep activity to a minimum but he likes couches and beds i'm not sure if that's how it happened but i feel awful

·
Registered
543 Posts
Definitely have it checked out ASAP. An oozing white substance sounds like a possible infection, which is not usual. Did he have an e-collar? He should not be allowed to lick this-keep him from messing with it until the appointment. Does he have a temp?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No temp he's in good spirits and everything I'm thinking about taking him to the emergency room to get him treated to be honest with you.... or do you think i can hold off on it until my vets tomorrow

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
He does have a cone, and he's been good when he's been out and we have been trying to keep activity to a minimum but he likes couches and beds i'm not sure if that's how it happened but i feel awful
Just do the best you can supervising him tonight (have him sleep in proximity with you ? Crated in bedroom? and get him to vet in am...

·
Registered
543 Posts
When Lucas had his neuter and scrotal ablation he could get around the e-collar no problem despite the fact I kept it on him (I thought if it reduced his ability to reach the incision even half the time it was worth it) he slept in bed with me and I spooned with him so I would wake up whenever he tried to get at it and I could stop him. Didn't sleep well for a week but I was determined to keep him from getting at it as much as possible. May be you two should spoon tonight.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
When Lucas had his neuter and scrotal ablation he could get around the e-collar no problem despite the fact I kept it on him (I thought if it reduced his ability to reach the incision even half the time it was worth it) he slept in bed with me and I spooned with him so I would wake up whenever he tried to get at it and I could stop him. Didn't sleep well for a week but I was determined to keep him from getting at it as much as possible. May be you two should spoon tonight.
Yes x2!! .......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts