Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could this be? Both of our collies have been throwing up and they have diarrhea...Today, someone (we're not sure which dog) threw up and had diarrhea in the car...a NIGHTMARE.

They've also seemed lethargic, on and off. This has been happening since Tuesday.

We got one of our collies very recently, in late February, so maybe she passed something on to our other dog? Or worse :( this is what we're REALLY worried about, maybe our neighbor poisoned them? We have some neighbors who are crazy and might do something like that. Also, a few weeks ago, our OTHER neighbor's cat died, and she's pretty sure it was poisoning. We are terrified, we don't know what to do. We are bringing in a poop sample into the vets', but we don't know what else to do.

Any ideas of what this could be? Could diarrhea, vomiting, and sleepiness be symptoms of poisoning, some type of worm, or just a bug? Our dogs are on heartworm meds and all that, but still...any ideas?

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I would not be wasting time posting on a forum, I would be hauling ass to the vet!!!!

If this has been going on since Tuesday, it's already been too long.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been going on since Tuesday, but it hasn't been constant. It went away for a couple days, and then it came back.

We called the vet and asked if we could bring them in, and they're going to try them on some medicine first, and they're going to examine the poop sample.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Just me, but I'd want a vet to see my dogs not just 'try' something. I'd want bloodwork done to rule out poisoning. I'd want their vitals checked.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, my mother is at the vet's right now getting the medicines and such, but I will recommend that to her when she gets back. Thank you for the suggestion!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Good luck! I hope the meds work.

However, if both dogs have been sick with the same symptoms since Tuesday, it sounds like they both got into something. I hope I'm wrong.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aw, thank you! I appreciate the kind thoughts.

The vet sent us home with some medicine to mix in with their food in case it's some form of worms (as I mentioned earlier, we just adopted one of the collies, so she could have already been sick before we got her), and they're going to test their poop.

They don't seem as tired now, they've been barking and playing out in the yard together, so maybe that's a good sign. I'll keep you all posted, thank you for the kind words & suggestions!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I will, thank you for your help!!

ETA: Savannah was sick first, and then Meg got sick too a couple days later.

I misunderstood then. I thought both dogs got sick at the same time, which would indicate to me anyway, that they got into something.

Again, hope the meds work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i would get them to the emergency vet quick. my dogs went out to the park and they ate horse manure and drank standing water and they had diarrhea and vomiting and the vet said they had an infection from it and they had to take antibiotics.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They seem like they're starting to feel better!

We slept downstairs with them last night and they seemed fine, and this morning, they were playing. They seemed a bit dehydrated, so we gave them some soup broth, and are keeping them on a hamburger and rice diet to be easy on their stomachs.

The vet thinks they have Giardia, a type of parasite. She said it's fairly common up in the area where we got Savannah, so she thinks Savannah may have already had it when we got her, and then she passed it onto Meg. Hopefully the medicine will clear it all up, but I'm glad that they're already feeling better! :)

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
They seem like they're starting to feel better!

We slept downstairs with them last night and they seemed fine, and this morning, they were playing. They seemed a bit dehydrated, so we gave them some soup broth, and are keeping them on a hamburger and rice diet to be easy on their stomachs.

The vet thinks they have Giardia, a type of parasite. She said it's fairly common up in the area where we got Savannah, so she thinks Savannah may have already had it when we got her, and then she passed it onto Meg. Hopefully the medicine will clear it all up, but I'm glad that they're already feeling better! :)
If you can't get them to drink plain water, I would give them Pedialyte instead of soup broth which can be somewhat salty.

Glad they're feeling better

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We don't have any Pedialyte, but we watered down the soup broth a lot to dilute the salt. And we are constantly offering them water, but they don't want that.

Upon doing some research, we read that Giardia usually is very hard to get rid of...we hope we'll have better luck!!

Thanks for your support, Renoman!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
We don't have any Pedialyte, but we watered down the soup broth a lot to dilute the salt. And we are constantly offering them water, but they don't want that.

Upon doing some research, we read that Giardia usually is very hard to get rid of...we hope we'll have better luck!!

Thanks for your support, Renoman!
I'm glad they're going to be ok, and very very glad I was wrong about them getting into something.

Next time you go to the supermarket go to the baby food aisle. Pedialyte comes in several different flavors and you can add some to their water to get them to drink. It's actually a good thing to have on hand for dogs and people too. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, we'll do that! :) Thanks! You've been so helpful!! :eek: By the way, I just have to add that your GSDs are beautiful!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Glad you figured out the problem.

I am evil, I add lots of water to the dog's food even when they haven't been ill. They have to drink it to eat. Sassy gets soup three times a day, Max gets raw meat and bone au jus once a day.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ugh :( Back to square 1.

The tests came back and they tested negative for Giardia...so now the question is, what could it be? We are really worried! Savannah hasn't had an accident since Saturday, and they still seem more playful--overall. However, today, they've been sleeping a lot and they haven't been drinking much. And Savannah had some black around her nipples, and the black spots have gotten larger in size and new spots have appeared on her tummy. Could this be related to whatever she may have?

The vets aren't sure what it is...:(

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Ugh :( Back to square 1.

The tests came back and they tested negative for Giardia...so now the question is, what could it be? We are really worried! Savannah hasn't had an accident since Saturday, and they still seem more playful--overall. However, today, they've been sleeping a lot and they haven't been drinking much. And Savannah had some black around her nipples, and the black spots have gotten larger in size and new spots have appeared on her tummy. Could this be related to whatever she may have?

The vets aren't sure what it is...:(
Have you had bloodwork done yet??? I would start there and I would start NOW!

If they're not drinking they're getting dehydrated which is not good. Try putting a little sugar in the water see if they will drink that.

They really really need to be SEEN by the vet if you want to get to the cause of this.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts