Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new on this forum and i need Urgent help. I really dont know what to do.
I have a 4 year old pitbull and i had him since he was 2 months old. He is so obedient, never hurt a fly.
last week i adopted a 5 month old Rottweiler and brought him home. At first My pitbull Ash was trying to hump the Rottweiler Thor , so i had to take Ash and get neutered. when i brought him back home, he was extremely angry at me and everytime Thor comes to sniff him or play he goes mental and bites him. what should i do ? PLEASE HELP ME.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
he's not angry with you. He's NOT human! Ash, the one neutered, is probably hurting from the surgery and needs time to recover. Separate the dogs and give him time to recover. You have also chosen to live with two breeds that tend to be dog aggressive, especially same sex aggression, so you need to be prepared by insisting on strict, instant, absolute obedience from each dog at all times.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
First it sounds like both are males, which isn't a good idea. Pit Bulls typically do better with the oppsite sex not the same sex.

Pit Bulls are typically Dog Aggressive, this is very very common since the breed has been bred for dog fighting for hundreds of years. Bad rap has great information on Pit Bulls: http://www.badrap.org/rescue/ and understanding the pIt Bulls history will help you understand your Pit Bull now http://www.pitbull411.com/history.html

You may need to Crate and Rotate your two dogs http://www.pbrc.net/rotate.html if you want to keep them both. A lot of Pit Bulls can never be with another dog. They will fight to the end. If would do you some good to call in a behaviorist and have them work with you, but I have a feeling no matter how hard you try to work with the 2 dogs, your PB will never take to your Rottie. It's the breed. This also means you need to be a ton more cautious about your PB around other dogs. If he is Dog aggressive that means you have to be that much better of an owner. If just ONE Pit Bull messes up across the world, it effects every Pit Bull owner in the world.

I'll send this link to 2 other PB owners and they can help you out more.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Interesting choice of dogs for you....two gladiators. I sincerely hope your dog training skills are a match for these warriors.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I would check the links Darkmoon posted. I'm not sure what to tell you.

For one you need to train them, you said Ash is obedient so he must be have some training? You don't take a dog to get neutered to train them to stop humping. You teach them not to hump. I can guarantee you your dog was not trying to breed with another male dog and that they would never produce pups together.

Now you've already done this so it is hard I know you can't take it back. But you not only took your dog to get a surgery for an undesirable behavior but very bad timing. Their was a new dog in his home and you took him away from his home and his family (you) and left him somewhere. Then you brought him back and there was still this other dog in his home.

He isn't angry at you. He just doesn't understand the situation. He is a dog.

He doesn't go mental he gives him a warning to back off or stay away. He doesn't want to be bothered by the other dog, especially given the fact he might be experiencing discomfort from surgery. Many dogs will growl or snap at other dogs when they are not feeling good and want to be left alone.

Your dog is a Pit Bull, he might not hurt a fly but he will hurt another dog. He can behave aggressively with other dogs and possibly cause severe injury. You have to start all over with these two. Reintroduce them and see how they go, taking it slowly. You will need someone to help with this. It would also be good to get professional help. If they can't get along then you will have to crate and rotate. They should already be separated when no one is around to watch them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You should also get a good local dog trainer in to see you and the dogs, and to help you as to the best way to handle such strong breeds.

This will help the problems that you're facing, as well as prevent other problems from developing, especially as the rottie gets older. Usually dog aggressive dogs are more forgiving of puppies than they are of socially mature dogs ( 18-36 months for social maturity)

Good luck, get some help to make this a smooth transition.

Meg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts