Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new puppy two days ago and he is vary clingy! I think its a not wanting to be alone type of thing. He is compleatly fine and comfortable not being around me when he is with me other two dogs but when i bring him anywhere without another dog he just wants to sit right on my feet! Its so bad that when i have him outside alone and im trying to walk he ends up tripping me because he gets tangled up in front of and inbetween my feet. I guess what im really hoping to find is any tips or ideas to help get him off my feet and out on his own. lol Gain some what of personal space bubble because its really frusterating. haha

thanks for taking the time to read and help me with my little problem.
Danielle

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
It is completely normal for him to be clingy right now. He's only been with you two days. He is in a new place, with new smells, sights, sounds, and people. You are his security blanket. He feels safe with you. That's a good thing.

Give him time.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It's been two days. He's a baby who was ripped away from his mother and the only life he knew and is now in a scary, unfamiliar place with lots of scary, unfamiliar people and things in it. He'll adjust. Just be careful how you stand and walk for a while.

You could start leash training him. Praise and treat him for walking on the leash a little ways away from you. No praise or treats for being right up on you. Eventually, he'll get the idea that walking a certain distance from you is the thing to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i just want to make sure he gets over it. hes about 4 months old and when my boxer was little she would want to go over to people to greet them but he would rather sit on my feet. or anyones feet for that matter. i had my brother take him out a few times to go potty and he did the same thing to him. he just doesn't like being alone or more than 2 feet from a person or another dog. and its hard because i still haven't been able to find a treat he likes. i've tried bill jac treats, little biscuts, puperonie, peanut butter treats and he could care less. and hes not a big fan of playing with toys with people. only with other dogs or alone. and recomendations for treats you cant go wrong with? also when i kennel him when i leave should i put him right next to my other dog's kennel or a ways away so he learns some independance?

thanks again
Danielle

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Personally, I'd kennel him near the other dog, IF there are no problems, like barking at each other to irritate each other. Being near the other dog will be a comfort to the puppy. He's still learning independence in a way, because he's in his own kennel.

Also, for treats, tiny cubes of cheese often work, or tiny bits of hot dogs. Usually, puppies like a softer, moister treat.

Don't be in a big hurry for him to adjust. Each puppy is different and they adjust on their own time frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts