Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I am not a dog owner, but a huge dog lover. I am on disability, and don't feel having a dog right now would be fair to the animal, and I couldn't afford the expense anyway.

Saying that, my next door neighbour owns a wonderful 6-1/2 year old german shorthaired pointer. At first I thought she was a good owner, but now, after knowing her for two years, I don't feel she is.

She works all day, and leaves the dog alone for 9+ hours. I know for some breeds this is fine, but from what I understand, GSHP's suffer greatly from separation anxiety. This poor dog scratches and cries every morning, and the last two weeks have been terrible for that. I have mentioned this to the owner a number of times, but nothing changes. On top of this, she yanks her around by the collar repeatedly, yet has never taken the time to train her, stating that she is "too busy." I have also seen her, on a few occasions, kick the dogs legs out from underneath her, if the dog walks in front of her.

My neighbour is sort of a friend, but I'll admit, the friendship is waning since I found out she knew the dog suffered from separation anxiety, yet confined her to an apartment anyway.

I believe this dog is suffering. She is alone all day in a one bedroom apartment with no companionship or stimulation. Her owner refuses to get an air conditioner, but I worry for the dog in the summer, being in a sweltering apartment while her owner enjoys air conditioning at work and in her car. She often takes out her frustrations on this poor animal. She does take the dog out in the late afternoon for a long walk, but often goes out afterwards, and then again the dog is alone until 11 or 12 at night, again crying at the door.

When speaking with her about this, her response is "she's fine" or "she'll get used to it." Well, the dog has been here for 3 years, and it is getting worse. I just found out two weeks ago that she knew that this breed suffers from separation anxiety, so I find it particularly cruel that she puts the animal through this daily.

I love this dog, and am finding it harder and harder to watch and hear her suffer. But this is my neighbour, and I don't want to create a bad living situation. Since I am on disability, I am often home periodically throughout the day, listening to this.

Is it just me, or am I way out of bounds feeling like this dog isn't being treated well?

Whatever suggestions or comments anyone could provide would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Tell your neighbor that you are lonely and ask if you can dog sit while she is at work. Tell her she would really be doing you a favor as you really love dogs and can't afford to get one right now. She sounds like the type that if you imply at all, that her care is lacking/dog isn't happy, she would refuse. You get to be around a dog, and the dog benefits too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the suggestion, but I have a lot of doctor's appointments which take me away every day, so the dog would still be alone. Also, even though I love dogs, I don't want the responsibility. I have a number of health issues, so I feel I have enough on my plate. I have sent the owner an e-mail, asking her to tend to the dog. She and I are not on the best terms right now, and I don't want to make my life any more difficult by having animosity between myself and my next door neighbour.

·
Registered
165 Posts
she kicks her dog's feet from out beneath her?? sounds like this woman has NO business owning a dog.

i don't know what the laws are like in your area, but you could consider making a list of her "infractions" and report her to animal services or another organization? honestly, if i had a neighbour like that i would be BEYOND disgusted and appalled. this woman obviously doesn't care for any advice or perspective. if you're so worried about the well-being of the dog, report it (if you can) to somebody or some place that can do something about it. if it were me, i'd have that dog out of her house so fast. but then again, this kind of stuff gets my blood boiling in no time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
She and I are not on the best terms right now, and I don't want to make my life any more difficult by having animosity between myself and my next door neighbour.
sorry, but i don't understand why you want to avoid animosity with this woman. she deserves much less than what you're giving her now. if you love this dog, and you have to experience this first-hand, forget being nice to this woman and maintaining a pleasant living situation (which, by the way, seems like the furthest thing from pleasant already).

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I don't mean to sound harsh but I think you've done all you can do. You may think she's treating him cruelly but if the dog has food water and shelter, or a video of the owner kicking the dog, I don't think animal control can do anything. Did you call AC?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't mean to sound harsh but I think you've done all you can do. You may think she's treating him cruelly but if the dog has food water and shelter, or a video of the owner kicking the dog, I don't think animal control can do anything. Did you call AC?
True enough that you most likely need substantiated proof in order to achieve anything. But you can start by listing out, in as much detail as possible, the occurrences and where/when/how they happen. You can present this to an authority. But sitting around and doing nothing doesn't really seem like a great option, does it? (Easier said than done, I know).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK - here is an update. The owner has been taking the dog to work with her, so she isn't alone all day. I've contacted our local animal welfare organization, and unfortunately, there is nothing they can do. The dog has adequate shelter, food and water, and is exercised daily. I will talk to my neighbour about her kicking the dog's feet out from under her, and hope that does something. Thank you for your suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts