Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am looking for any information regarding my staffy. He is 12months old rescue dog. This is his problem he has been diagnosed with demodectic mange from the skin scrapes. Here is the following information
24.11.2011 collected Henry from kennels, has mange, was given 2 doses of Advocate & Maleseb shampoo

15.12.2011 neutered & skin scrap confirmed mange

17.12.2011 1st vaccination

6.1.2012 2nd vaccination/ changed food and detergent for bedding to hypoallergenic

8.1.2012 anti histamine as has started scratching

10.1.2012 Dermisol cream used for 2 days advised against use as contains hydrocortisone

16.1.2012 anti biotic injection & Piriton 2 daily

18.1.2012 Aludex bath (unable to get further stock till April), skin scrape still has mange, anti biotic tablets Noroclace as itching (scratching & chewing incresing) (We can not get any Aludex until June unless anybody has any and I will pay for it?? :)

19.1.2012 Panomec injection, more Piriton

20.1.2012 Promeris (drops) 1st of 3 administered monthly

still scratching & chewing till skin inflamed,swollen & bleeding, Henry is wearing a collar && sock in attempt to limit any injury.

Does anybody have any information that can help Henry on what we can do.

Thankyou

Sam

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
There is a protocol for treating demodex using daily oral ivermectin (the active ingredient in the Panomec) that your vet should be able to look into. Also, I know he had an antibiotic injection, but I'd be concerned about a deep skin infection secondary to the mites and he may need more aggressive antibiotic therapy, ask your vet. All of the normal things that help support a healthy immune system such as good diet, exercise, and plenty of sleep will help in general, also.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I know demodectic mange is more likely in immunosuppressed dogs, so helping his immune system may help, and avoiding allergens would at least remove other sources of itching. Do you have him on a good grain free food? I'd definitely switch to high protein grain free. Then I'd do other immune boosting things like exercise, play, stress removal and sleep. All those things boost immune response.

I'm so sorry your little guy is going through this. I hope something here helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I noticed you stopped using Dermisol cream. Now I have no idea how well this stuff works but wanted to comment on hydrocortisone. Cortisone has a reputation for being something to avoid and if possible I would avoid it. But its also a very good curative for many issues both in animals and humans. My dog took it orally for years before he exhibited a symptom common with over-dosing. During those years (he's going on a strong healthy 12) he was close to symptom free (itching).

He's now on a reduced dose and his itching is at a liveable level in my opinion. I've been taking corisone for organ failure for 6 years.

My point being it has its place in life. If cortisone can eliminate his problem I'd definitely use it. Temporary use will have no effect on his longevity and even permant use has to be weighed with his quality of life. Ten years with mainge or 8 years without? Of course I have no idea how long he may live but its entirely possible he'll live a normal life span even with the use of cortisone. Certainly temporary usage is indicated in my opinion.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Generally steroids are a good anti-inflammatory, but in the specific case of demodectic mange they are absolutely contraindicated because they also act as an immunosuppressive and will likely make the mange worse/harder to resolve. Better to use a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts