Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a strange female puppy who always trying to hurt herself. It was all started when she had fleas on her body. She started to scratched her head and lost some of her hairs. I thought it was normal. But as time goes by, she insanely scratched her head until she bleed (hurt) herself. Now every time she feels itchy on her head, she will always hurt herself. Every day it's getting worse. I'm thinking of cutting her nails & unshaping them so that she can't hurt herself anymore. The only problem is I don't know how to do that. I'm not sure if this is the right way. Please advice me some suggestions.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Take your dog to the vet. It sounds like she has pretty bad allergies and cutting her nails won't help with that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont know how long since the flea problem. Are you sure its not still an issue? The allergy reaction from flea bites can last a long time. Also the healing itself can cause itching. It could be a food allergy, ear problems or a skin condition too. There are plastic dish like collars your vet could provide to allow healing without further damage. You could also try the old sock or bandage on the feet trick but make sure its not too tightly taped on.

·
Registered
468 Posts
What brand of food are you feeding her and have you done anything to get rid of the fleas? Dogs with serious flea infestations can get really sick.

I also highly suggest you take your dog to the vet. No matter what the cause of the itching is, she needs to be seen by a vet. She is obviously in a lot of discomfort and most likely pain if she is scratching that hard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts