Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My name is Chalene and I am the proud owner two French Bulldogs. One is male, 3 years old, and excellent in behavior. But we recently got a new little girl Frenchie (she is now 9 months). I love her to pieces, but we are having an extremely hard time housebreaking her.

For the most part, she is good. She knows that outside is where to go, and even goes to the door to go out. But as soon as I leave, she pees and poos everywhere. I travel a lot, so this is a major issue, as no one wants to babysit anymore.

Example: I recently went away for a week and left her with my dad. I stayed with her at my dads a week beforehand to get her comfortable. She was excellent. The first few days after I left, my dad said she was also awesome. Then he took her to my aunt and uncles for a day, and everything changed. She pooed in their bed, on their couch, and all over their floor. When she came back to my dads the next day, she was a changed dog. She peed and pooed everywhere - on the floor, in the bed, on the couch, even in his truck!

I am at a loss for how to curb this behavior. PLEASE help me!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Dogs don't generalize well. We think they know that peeing in the house is bad, but they only know that peeing in that PARTICULAR house is bad. Take them to a new place and they'll have to learn it all over again. So she had no idea that it wasn't okay to pee/poop in your aunt/uncle's house because she had never been taught that. At that age it probably set back her house training, which is why she starting doing at at your dad's again after that. Again - truck - new place - dog has no idea she can't pee in there.

They do get better with age, but at this stage she's not fully housebroken so she just doesn't know any better. Plus she's being shifted around from place to place, which can be confusing.

If you're going to take her to a new place expect to have to housetrain her all over again at that place. The best suggestion I can offer is keep her at home until she's 100% reliable. Have people come there to dogsit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts