Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mini Dachshund Puppy Problems help!

Hi everyone

I am a new dog owner never had one before myself since I was a child.

I got a mini dachshund puppy 8 days ago and he is turning into a nightmare.
Last week he was so beautiful and he loved following me everwhere and pats and cuddles

this week he has suddenly got so much attitude all he wants to do is run around crazy and chew everything he is very rude and demanding when it comes to food. I have taught him how to sit and come and he gets plenty of playtime. Someone had told me you need to smack them if they are being naughty which now I regret.

today he doesnt even want to be near me everytime I go to pat him he squats down and I go to pat his back end and he looks like he wants to bite me. Im so upset and don't know what to do I don't want him to hate me ; ( at night he sleeps in a playpen down stairs and he whines throughout the night my partner has been getting up to comfort him as we live in town and hes too loud we cant get him to stop.

someome please help

·
Registered
777 Posts
Re: Mini Dachshund Puppy Problems help!

Just stick it out and don't smack your little guy anymore. Give him lots of love and dedication.

He's only been with you 8 days. They say the first month of owning a dog is the hardest part. They may act out because they are emotionally unstable and need to adjust to the home. It sounds like you love him dearly. I think he will return to cute and snuggly for you if you ride this nightmare stage out. :)

Do some reading on good, credentialed trainers' work. Using positive reinforcement style training is best for young puppies.

As to the rude, demanding behavior, I usually withold what the puppy wants until he shows me a good behavior. Then he gets his reward right at that moment. The puppy is only doing what comes naturally, and you just need to show him that polite behavior is what will work in his new domain. As for him not trusting you, approach him gently and let him come to you on his terms for now until he trusts you again. I'm sure he will bounce back soon. :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Re: Mini Dachshund Puppy Problems help!

He's a baby. Would you smack a human infant for acting in a way you didn't like, or would you say, "Oh, he's a baby, he doesn't know any better?"

Go to dogstardaily.com. They have great downloads for free. Read all of them. Watch kikopup on youtube, she has a video for every behavior.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts