Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend adopted a dog yesterday, an eight-month-old Chihuahua. She obviously loved and was loved by her family, who gave her up because they could only have one dog. They kept the service dog. The transition is going a bit roughly (no surprise), and I’m hoping to get some advice on her behalf (she's not a member here).

First: How can we ensure this dog sleeps more at night? Last night she apparently whined, cried, and scratched at the door for hours. My friend let her out to go to the bathroom, but she wouldn’t go. She tried a number of things--having her on the bed, keeping her in the kitchen (there's no crate for her yet). Nothing worked. She stayed up whining most of the night. She’s grieving. The plan tonight is to wear her out before bed, but I’d love to offer other tips/suggestions that would help her sleep.

Second: Any ideas to help the dog transition from using a doggy door to going outside on a leash? My friend doesn’t have a fenced yard, so she’ll need to either go outside or on the balcony potty.

I welcome your ideas. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
For draining the dog's energy:

Feed meals out of food dispensers
Walk, walk, walk
Practice training
Play with toys
etc etc..

The only other thing I thought of was a herbal relaxer before bed time. But, honestly, it sounds like this is the kind of thing that just needs to get better with time. It is only the first day, after all :)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be honest, a number of things didn't sound right. The "service" dog is an 11-week-old APBT they are training themselves and will get certified later.

Regardless, I do want to help my friend and this girl.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's an update if anyone is interested. We succeeded in wearing her out, so night two went much better, and everyone was able to get more sleep. The dog is a little sweetheart. Here's a pic.

On the down side: she's still having problems making the transition from doggy door to on a leash. She's in heat, so she has to stay away from Clayton (who won't be neutered for a few more months). Even Cupid, who is neutered, notices and . . . responds. LOL!

We also think she may have luxating patellas. She's going to the vet tomorrow to discover more.

*Fingers crossed*

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My friend was told she is a purebred chihuahua. I must admit it wouldn't surprise me to find out otherwise. Her hair isn't like a papillon's, but that might just mean she's a mix.

She does have luxating patellas. Since they are minor, no surgery is planned at this point (at the vet's suggestion).

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
She could be a purebred Chi and have that coat if one parent was a long hair and the other short.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts