Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dog lovers / Animal lovers,

Please help me figure out my adopted dog's breed. My guess along with my vet's guess is great pyrnees and some shepherd mix. We got her on May 2nd 2012. I do not have any idea about her parents' breed.

Weight on May 3rd 2012: 32 lbs
Weight on July 2nd 2012: 47 lbs
She has double dewclaws on her hind legs.

She has cream and black color coat. Like smoky gray. She is active only in the evenings and night time and is a picky meal eater but a voracious snack/treat eater.

photo 1.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 4.JPG

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
She honestly looks like some sort of Siberian Husky X Hound mix, possibly some sort of livestock guarding breed thrown in there

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I don't know how many other breeds specifically have double dew claws - but they are a breed trait for the Pyrenees.

I could see a Pyrenees X Siberian X --- X though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Lot of ppl in the pet stores and dog parks have told she might have some husky in her. No one told about her being a lab yet. Lookin at her current weight 47 lbs at 7 mos, how much full grown weight should I guess? 60-70 lbs.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Weight - Growing about 8 pounds/month. Rough rule of thumb is that adult weight = 1.5 times weight at 6 mos. Therefore:
Estimated weight at 6 mos on June 2 = 40 lbs, and 40 lbs * 1.5 = 60 lbs... So, 60 - 70 lbs sounds like a good guess.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weight - Growing about 8 pounds/month. Rough rule of thumb is that adult weight = 1.5 times weight at 6 mos. Therefore:
Estimated weight at 6 mos on June 2 = 40 lbs, and 40 lbs * 1.5 = 60 lbs... So, 60 - 70 lbs sounds like a good guess.
I like the 1.5 * wt at 6 mos rule is equal to full grown weight rule. Sounds realistic. Some were saying u double the 6 mos age. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know how many other breeds specifically have double dew claws - but they are a breed trait for the Pyrenees.

I could see a Pyrenees X Siberian X --- X though.
She has her nose on the ground always sniffing. Might have some beagle too probably.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd say Pyr/lab mix with maybe some husky? That's just what I see, though...

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Rough rule of thumb is that adult weight = TWO times weight at FIVE mos. (and 1.5 @6mos as indicated above)

Average rule for average sized dogs... chihuahuas and great danes don't always follow the rules :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She's gorgeous! I met a Pyrenees x hound that looks a lot like her when Ace was younger... I can also see some retriever in there, too.
Thanks fr your comments. What features make you think of hound? What type of hound? Any guesses.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She honestly looks like some sort of Siberian Husky X Hound mix, possibly some sort of livestock guarding breed thrown in there
Thanks fr your comments. What features make you think of hound? What type of hound? Any guesses.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My wife also thinks that she could be an Anatolian Sherpherd mix.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I see husky, and anatolian or pyrenese. Some kind of big herder shepherd dog.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't see her growing. Probably she has some smaller breed in her too. Her two tooth fell 3-4 weeks after we got them. And doctor said she might be 6 months old. That's what we are keeping as reference for her age. based on that calculation she must be 7.5 months old now.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Wait a few months and she may hit a growth spurt. Don't quote me on this but I think after month four they grow slower, then from month 1-4?? maybe it was six months. I know I read something like that,somewhere.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I don't see her growing. Probably she has some smaller breed in her too. Her two tooth fell 3-4 weeks after we got them. And doctor said she might be 6 months old. That's what we are keeping as reference for her age. based on that calculation she must be 7.5 months old now.
Huskies can be pretty small, mine both weigh 40 lbs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Huskies can be pretty small, mine both weigh 40 lbs.

May be Huskies look more big coz of their fur huh? I heard that the show dog types huskies are generally short, small, and weigh less than other husky types. My dog definitely does not have husky ears or eyes I think.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts