Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we took our dog to the Vet last Friday because our uncle saw him ingest motor oil the night before, we had only found out when he told us the other day. It came back negative for any trace but our dog was still looking very sick. The other day we took him to the Veterinary hospital to test for Parvo and that came up negative twice, the doctor and nurse told us the symptoms were so similar to Parvo though, and wanted to run some tests but we really didn't have the money for it. He sent us home with Amoxicillin, Zofran and Sucralfate. He hasn't eaten since friday, he's throwing up some colorless liquid, diarrhea is bloody, eyes are bloodshot, lethargic, depressed, weak, and he still won't eat! I've done some research and Giardia keeps coming up, the articles keep saying it's symptoms are mimic to Parvo. My silver lining is he still walks around and drinks water

My dog is an eight month old 39 pound Siberian Husky

What can I do? Will these meds help kill the infection? How can I get him interested in food? What can I feed him? How do I feed him? How long, if it is Giardia, does it take to kill? How long can it last in my dog? Please, help me with anything and everything you can.

I'm selling some things to make some money to test for Giardia and hope to get him into my vet soon.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Try feeding boiled skinless boneless chicken and rice in tiny meals, several times a day. Or you can try baby food (like Gerber). Give him the meds after eating.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You HAVE to get him to a vet. HAVE to. Bloody diarrhea and vomiting is not something that you can treat at home, and drinking water isn't enough in that situation. All the water is coming out of one end or the other.

Giardia is an infection caused by a parasitic protozoan. Amoxicillin does treat infection, but it doesn't kill parasites. Zofran treats nausea, but if you're dog is still vomiting, that's not working, and Sucralfate is basically Prilosec for dogs. You will need other medications if it is giardia, you also have to wash the dog and treat the house/yard to remove all the protozoa so the dog doesn't get reinfected. That's if it's giardia.

·
Registered
891 Posts
In my experience, Giardia causes some smelly diarrhea but nothing like what you're describing. My vet prescribed Drontol Plus and metronidazole, which did the trick. Echoing Amaryllis-that dog needs a vet ASAP!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spotted Nikes, what kind of baby food, flavor?

Amaryllis, JulieK1967 I know! We just don't have the money right now, we spent almost everything this weekend on the Veterinarian and we're still at square one. When he first voided his bowels it smelled rancid, nothing i've ever smelled from him before. I will talk to my vet about Drontol Plus and Metronidazole.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Something meat flavored...turkey, chicken, beef, etc. Try to find low sodium, and something without garlic/onions.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Look into Care Credit -- a credit card for medical/veterinary expenses. It's 0% interest for a while. Also talk to your vet about a payment plan. Sometimes they'll work something out for you. I'd definitely find a way to get the dog back to the vet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts