Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Kina for 3 weeks now. When I brought her home, I thought it would be a good idea to change her food. The breeder was feeding her a low quality food and just thought it would be a good idea to switch her food.

She was doing fine, until 4 days into changing the food, and she started to have pudding like diarrhea. I then cut back on the new food, but still, the diarrhea continued.

And then she, things got worste because she ate my hibbiscus plant. She then started throwing up and the diarrhea was worste, so I brought her to the vet. We put her on a bland diet, and gave her some probiotic.

She still wasn't improving after two days of being on the bland diet, she wasn't eating and then was having muccus like diarrhea. So the vet put her on medication, we did a fecal test to ensure she didn't have worms (she was rubbing her butt on the ground). The test came back negitive.

She did very well on the medication and was firming up. She was still on the bland diet, and the vet informed me that this would be a perfect time to switch her to the new food.

So, I did. Again on day 4 of the new food, she started having diarrhea again.

I figured, there must be something in the new food that she can't digest. Someone informed me to switch her to California Naturals as it has the least ingredients.

She's now back on her bland diet with 25% Cali Naturals. I'm going to the vet with her for her second series of shots tomorrow, but I'm really getting frustrated because she still has diarrhea. Today, I decided to put a little pumpkin in her food, as I heard that it helps with the diarrhea.

Tomorrow morning, if she still has diarrhea, should I just feed her 100% bland diet? and speak to the vet. Should I even feed her tomorrow before going to the vet.

Other than the diarrhea she's, a very energetic pup. I'm just so tired of dealing with the diarrhea I could just cry right now. :(

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry! I know how this is, though, as one of my puppies was very sick (almost died) and I got SO tired of runny diarrhea.

I hate to go against what your vet says at all. The only thing I might do differently is to fast the puppy for 24 hours. Can you call the vet and ask if you can/should do that? Because anytime one of my dogs has had diarrhea (from an unlnown cause), I fasted them for a day to give their system a break, then started on very small portions of chicken and rice throughout the day. As long as there's a "bug" of some sort in the digestive tract, feeding the puppy just taxes the system instead of letting it heal. After a couple days on chicken and rice (w/no diarrhea), I started adding kibble into it slowly and within a week, had changed over to the kibble.

I think I might go with a different food, too, because as you describe it, there might be something in the new food that's disagreeing with her. Do you have a link to the ingredients in the one you're feeding her? I really like Natural Balance Ultra for puppies.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to switch her to Diamond. Here are the ingreds. Description: Calorie Content
3,761 kcal/kg (356 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

Ingredients:
Chicken,chicken meal,whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, egg product, beet pulp, chicken fat(preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), potatoes,fish meal, flaxseed,natural flavors, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder,
salmon oil (a source of DHA), rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 28.0% minimum
Crude Fat 17.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% minimum
Moisture 10.0% minimum
Calcium 1.2% minimum
Phosphorus 1.0%minimum
Zinc 225mg/kg minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg minimum
Vitamin E 250 IU/kg minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3.0% minimum*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum*
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 0.05% minimum*

Now I have her on plain white rice with Chicken and I'm trying to introduce her to the California Naturals Lamb and Rice Puppy.

Here's the link-

http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/default.asp?id=4

I'll be seeing our vet tomorrow. I won't feed Kina until we get back from our vet. Kina's appointment is at 9:30. I usually feed her at 6:30 am, so I think she can wait. We'll most likely get back from the vet at around 10:30, so she will have gone 17 hours.

I'm just so frustrated. When I was young, we lost a puppy to Parvo. I remember it has diarrhea. I keep having flash backs of that.

The only thing that puts my mind at ease, is Kina is eating and is also drinking and acting like a normal puppy. Except for the day that she ate my plant and the day that she just didn't eat until later in the day after the vet put her on meds, but other than that she's is acting fine. The vet assured me that it wasn't parvo. She's been vaccinated for that.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Leave your poor thing on the bland diet for a week after the poop is normal. Sassy's poop was nearly normal on the chicken/rice stuff [firm but some mucous present] and became 'perfect' when I added some plain pumpkin to it. THEN start with the new food.

Dr Strombeck says in his Home-prepared Dog And Cat Diets book that it takes a month for the system to become normal after an assault like the one your pup experienced.

It is hard to fast a puppy due to the size. Haven't had to but congee would be safer than a total fast. That is 1/2 cup of rice simmered in 4 cups water until the rice is very soft, strain out the rice and feed the liquid.

The other tummy saving technique is feed tiny and feed often. When *I* had food poisoning I put a timer on and took a nibble of a saltine every 5 minutes. And that was after doing the same with plain water. I stretched that to a whole cracker every hour then blew the whole thing by eating too much too soon. It is hard to do this slowly enough! So don't beat yourself up over it too much.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My pei-baby had some serious digestion issues due to his kidney failure, before we actually figured out that it was kidney failure. How old is your puppy?

The suggestion of fasting your dog for 24 hrs is really out of the question if the pup is under at the very least 6 months of age. A puppy under 6 months can suffer seriously from no food or water for 24 hours, especially when diarrhea is present.

I do, however agree with keeping the bland diet for longer then the vet has told you, and mixing in the new food, very very gradually, even if that means only a few pieces at a time..eventually ween out the pieces of chicken, and keep the rice, and you should be able to go to just plain kibble. It'll take time, but your puppy has a sensitive stomach. My pap, Gizmo, had spouts of diarrhea through-out puppyhood..nothing too serious, so we put him on Nutro Sensitive Stomach for puppies..It contains rice, chicken, and oatmeal..so it may be a brand you might want to try.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had the same problem with my puppy when I brought her home. She had diareaha constantly. Had her at the vets, on probitics, diferant diets ,you name it. The higher end foods (tried TOTW, Chicken Soup, Natural Balance) didnt do well with her. It wasnt until I got desperate and tried a small bag of Purina and she had solid stools RIGHT AWAY that I new we had found the right food for us.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
A puppy under 6 months can suffer seriously from no food or water for 24 hours, especially when diarrhea is present.
My fasting suggestion wasn't meant to include fasting her water. :) The puppy needs water. I do like the idea of rice for a day, or just rice water for the first day, then adding rice, then adding the chicken.

How old is Kina?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The stool sample . . . they checked for things besides worms, right? Because what you describe sounds like what I went through with Clayton. He had giardia. I'd confirm they checked for that as well.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kina is 11 weeks old. She's a Cavachon (Cavalier King Charles x Bichon).

I fasted her until 10:30 this morning. (DH had fed her at 18:00 last evening) She went for the biggest loose poop last night at 12:50 am. Don't mean to be graphic but I didn't know such a little pup could poop so much. (She even asked for the door!!).

She hasn't done anything but pee today. I'm assuming is because her bowels are all empty for from the fasting.

I did make sure she had a lot of water.

I must have gotten my dates wrong, because her vet appointment is not until tomorrow.

When I did bring her last time they did not find anything abnormal in her stool sample.

I'm going to take your suggestions and keep her on her bland diet, and slowly transition her to the new food. If I have to do it over a 2-week period, with one kibble at a time I will.

DH will tell me how she does tonight. She's had a bit of bland food when he gets home from work. (I work evenings and DH works days so Kina is alone for approximately 4 hours).

Thank you for all your suggestions and support. I felt so helpless. It's so reassuring that others have gone through this with positive results.

I will mention to the Vet tomorrow about poor Kina's ordeal. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So Kina and I went to the vet today. The vet recomended to put her on the Medical Gastro food. I'm not to fond of that food, but I'll do as the vet suggested. She stated that it usually takes 6 weeks to see if the food will suite her. Medical Gastro doesn't come in puppy formula, but she stated that it won't do her any harm. We'll see how she does on that as per the vet's orders.

When we put Kina on the bland diet the first time, the vet had me put the canned Medical Gastro into the bland diet, she firmed up after they put her on medication. It was only when I tried to switch her back to Kirkland that she got diarrhea again.

I'm really not interested in keeping her on Medical Gastro forever, so I'll wait until her system is more mature and then see about switching her to something else.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I sure hope she clears up. Make sure to keep us updated.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The vet has asked that I call them on Friday to see how she's doing. I'm hoping she clears up by then.

She got her second dose of shots today, so I am expecting her to have diarrhea because of that. One thing though, the shots didn't make her sleeping or anything. she was full of piss and vinegar all morning.

One good thing is, she hasn't lost any weight since the last time I brought her in a week and a half ago. She's actually gained .5 kg.

I

·
Registered
329 Posts
Bland diet it should be hamburger (or chicken) and brown rice,canned pumpkin mixed together ands served until her stool firms then gradually mix in her new food.You could also look at adding a digestive enzyme/pre/pro biotic to your pups food to aid in digestion.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I agree with digestive enzyme statement. Those are usually, and most commonly found in yogurt, which I give my pups regularly. Gizmo, for lunch gets plain yogurt mixed with his kibble and occasionally a blueberry treat crushed up for flavor. Roxy doesn't get anything but kibble for now, until she gets older.. at 9 weeks I don't want to mess with her system..she eats the same food the breeder fed her and everything.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm also sprinkling some Probiotic suplement in her food, as well as the pumpkin.

she's starting to firm up. One thing I've noticed though, when she does go, there is a lot of poop! I'm quite surprised at the amount of poop coming out of this 2.6 kg dog! She does bigger and more poop than Sadie does.

Is this normal? Or is it because, she's still getting rice, chicken and pumpkin mixed with her kibble.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts