Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have had issues with getting our puppy to eat since we got her. We were between a couple of kibbles, and she was never super keen on anything. She has a sensitive stomach too. Anyways, I posted previously about how we came back from vacation and she refused to eat her kibble. We started her on Acana beef with a Stella and Chewy's freeze dried patty mixed in. For two months she loved it and was excited to eat her food. She gained 6 pounds (up to 34 pounds) in those two months.
We decided to try a different flavor patty, and we also bought some new dental chews. I don't know what it was, but she threw up. We eliminated both... but she absolutely refuses to eat her food. I'm guessing it's like with people, when you associate something with being sick and you just can't stomach it anymore.
Fair enough. I went out and bought a different flavor Acana kibble and a different flavor patty. She absolutely will not touch it. And I'm not talking about leaving half... she won't even go near her dish.
We tried switching to one feeding a day so that she would be hungry and she still won't touch it. She would eat JUST the patty, but won't go near it when mixed with kibble.
So we got some Royal Canin gastro intestinal wet food on the suggestion of our vet, in case her stomach was bothering her. Again, she would eat JUST the wet food, but won't go near it with kibble.
My mum said she had eaten their dog's Beneful when they had her for a night when she was refusing to eat, so I thought... at least she would be getting something in her stomach. She won't touch it.
I am stressing out and upset about this... she hasn't eaten a full meal in a week, except when I gave her rice and egg (vet wanted to make sure there was no blockage so we gave her something we knew she would eat- but even then I had to hand feed it to her to get her to take it!).
I don't know what to do :( I just want her to get something in her system. I've tried lifting her food after 20 minutes and she could care less. I have put her in her crate with her food to try and get her to eat and she won't touch it. I've mixed different combinations of her food and she won't touch it. Won't sniff it. Won't go near it.
Please help :(

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Does your pup eat anything? Is the vet 100% sure there is not a blockage? If you've only tried two brands maybe your pup doesn't like the taste. When our last dog got older she stopped eating kibble so I mixed roasted chicken in her food and she ate it right up ... I'm not suggesting you do that but maybe something else may work.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ooh those picky eaters! I have one. I was feeding all the high end, fancy stuff (mostly Fromm and The Honest Kitchen) and he refused to eat it as well. I went out and got a bag of Purina Beyond chicken/rice. It has a very 'roasted meat' smell. He ate it right down with nothing on it, and he ate it that way for several months. I've just now recently convinced him that Fromm is tasty again, and if I start messing around with toppers too much, then he turns back into fussy Mc Fussy pants! LOL.

You did the right thing taking him to the vet but now that everything seems ok, I might try something a little more simple and see how he does.

Also, if you are making his meals and worrying that he won't eat, and have a worried expression on his face, he might conclude there is definitely something to worry about when you put food in a bowl.

Lastly, does he get some good, hard exercise? If my poodle boy doesn't get a good run (gallop around our 5 acres), then his appetite is much lower as well.

Just a few things to consider maybe.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dog person- The vet did an exam and said her vitals were all normal, and although her stomach felt a little tight, he wasn't concerned. He said if it came to it, we could do bloodwork. We gave her some white rice and egg that night to make sure that she was able to keep it down and it came out the other end, and there was no problem.
We have tried more than 2 foods. When she was on puppy food she was between Royal Canin Medium and President's Choice puppy. When we came back from vacation in July and she had all out refused to eat her food (but ate the other dog's cheaper foods- Beneful and I'm not sure what the other was), we decided to switch brands. We tried her on Acana puppy which was chicken flavoured, and she ate that for a bit, but we ended up switching to a beef flavor with a topper, which she seemed to love for the past two months.
She suddenly, overnight, started turning her nose up at it. I think because she was sick, and she is associating the food with being sick (though I don't think it was the food- I think it was either the different flavor patty that didn't agree with her stomach or else her dental chew). Since that, we've tried her on a different flavor Acana (pork and butternut squash for something different), and a different protein meat patty. She wanted nothing to do with that, so I went out and bought a bag of Beneful since she'd seemed to love that before, and she took a few mouthfuls and spit it out. So I took her to a pet food store yesterday. They tried giving her multiple brands of kibble with different protein bases, and she didn't want it. The employee thought that it was more of the texture. She tried giving her a dry freeze dry patty crumbled with kibble and she ate a couple pieces of kibble, so I brought her home to try that. She ate a couple mouthfuls then walked away.
We have tried soaking her kibble in hot water. Yesterday someone suggested I try mixing in coconut oil, so I tried that ... nada.
I ended up caving and mixing about 50/50 kibble and wet food just to get something in her system. She ate about half a cup of that.
She normally gets about an hour out a day, and spends her days at home on her bed. Yesterday I didn't take her out because I wasn't sure if she should be going out and playing hard if she isn't getting food in her system. Today I plan on taking her out for a good hour long play right before dinner.
She WILL eat the patty or the wet food but if she even sees kibble, she turns her nose up and walks away. I'd really like her to eat kibble as it is easiest to get her the nutrition she needs. We are happy mixing stuff in... but a top end wet food is just expensive to feed to a dog her size (35lbs).
We've decided to play hard ball. We are going to try for 5-7 days or being very strict. Put her food down and leave it for 20 minutes, then pick it up. No treats or anything else at any time. If she still refuses to eat, I'm afraid we will have to try wet.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
As I mentioned our last dog refused kibble and canned food once she was about 10 years old. Unfortunately, I really knew nothing about food so the canned stuff was Pedigree and whatever else Pet smart had on sale. Maggie was about 40 lbs and being a senior dog I was worried about her not eating so I was walking through the supermarket and saw they had chicken leg and thigh quarters that were premade, hot and ready to eat so I tried that. She loved it and didn't refuse a meal once she tasted it. Over here the chicken cost about $4 or $5 for 2 legs and 2 thighs and it was enough for almost a week of food for her.

I am feeding Zoey Annamaet and after a few bags of one flavor I could see she wasn't eating with vigor so I am am now switching flavors to see if that helps. I am keeping canned and the chicken for later if she does become picky.

Maybe try human food/meats and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello, someone told me once to sprinkle parmesan cheese in the kibble. It worked for my puppy. I also ground up his favorite treats, Charlie Bears and sprinkled it over the kibble. Once he smells his favorite treats, he may just eat the kibble too. However, my problem is Fritz will not eat out of the bowl, its either the floor or my hand! So I have piles of kibble everywhere!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
you might want to try raw, or feed her whatever meat is cheap, boiled and mixed with rice....

Its not that hard to do raw (just raw meaty bones, meat and organs) its alot less headaches in some ways then fooling around with kibbles and brands etc....

If I had only one dog and was home all the time that is what I would....

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Josefina used to be picky, but now I make her something called "satin" or "fat" ball. I mix them into her food now but I used to give them to her as a treat for finishing her food lol.

If nothing is wrong with her, pick a food she was previously eating, (Acana is good) pick a formula and stick with it. Feed her once a day, give her 20 minutes to eat, if she doesnt, too bad. Don't so anything to her or make a big deal about it etc, just take it up and feed the remainder to her at the next scheduled feeding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts