Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here is my trouble... i have a teri -poo mix that i bought from a pet store with my GF... we have had our trouble with her before with the other dogs that the gf has... and it was figured to be misplaced energy.

now i have moved in with the GF and the pup still had a little problem with the barking. she will hear something, or one of the other dogs will bark and she keep barking or growling for a little bit after. she has always been that way when she lived with me, i never saw it to be a big deal because i guess i am just more easy going. thats problem #1. the barking

problem number 2 is that the GF felt the need to take in another dog. a 8 month old begal. now i know the two have to get used to one another... and they do for the most part. there are times when my terripoo that is 2 years old will snap at the new dog when she ether gets to close to the bone the terripoo is chewing on or trying to move to where the terri poo is sleeping. it doesnt happen often, but it does. so the GF flips out about it, and thinks she is handling it by spanking the terripoo., and gets mad at me whn i tell her not to because the terripoo (chloe) knows when she is in trouble. i never had to spank her once ever before because all i had to do was talk to her in a certain tone and she would repond. so now she gets mad at me because i am not doing enought to put chloe in line and teacher her whats wrong, and wont let her smack the dog

problem 3 is when we leave, we but the new pup in a kennel in our bedroom till she is full potty trained and put chloe in the same room, but not in a kennel. we live down stair in s split level at her parents house, so when some one comes home the dogs bark and chloe hops on the door and now its making her parents mad, they yell at her and then i get it.

i dont know what to do because i will not use a bark coller...EVER, and i want to train them correctly with out having to strike ether dog ever. i dont know what to do and am so stressed out all the time. if i have to move out over this because i will not give my dog up, i dont know what i will do

please help me...

thank your for taking the time to read allof this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
aww the joys of having 2 dogs ;)

well i can see why there is a problem, not knowing the whole story of the GF, but, training to not "argue" over a certain toy is never easy, SPANKING A DOG WILL ONLY MAKE THEM NOT TRUST YOU OR THE GF using the tone of voice is always a wonderful idea, and has worked with my dogs since i have had them.

while you are gone, is there anyway to seperate the 2 dogs? like one in a closed off area of the basement? that way the dogs might not bark so much, having one in a crate and the other loose is probably not the best idea, but, there are other ways to do that.

as for the barking and such, my dogs bark and "pretend" growl at each other over toys all the time and it never worries me, Thunder does the "tattle" bark, and cinni knows it, so, she will tease him :), that is the way they will always be, i do not mind it, and my dad ( whom we are living with temp) has just grown to accept it.

back to the whole locking them up, is there any other options as to where you could put them? like i said another room, sectioned off space? something has to work, otherwise you will always have that problem.

good luck and let me know if any of this helps.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
so here is my trouble... i have a teri -poo mix that i bought from a pet store with my GF... we have had our trouble with her before with the other dogs that the gf has... and it was figured to be misplaced energy.
What exactly do you mean by misplaced energy?

now i have moved in with the GF and the pup still had a little problem with the barking. she will hear something, or one of the other dogs will bark and she keep barking or growling for a little bit after. she has always been that way when she lived with me, i never saw it to be a big deal because i guess i am just more easy going. thats problem #1. the barking
How long does she keep barking after the others have stopped?

problem number 2 is that the GF felt the need to take in another dog. a 8 month old begal. now i know the two have to get used to one another... and they do for the most part. there are times when my terripoo that is 2 years old will snap at the new dog when she ether gets to close to the bone the terripoo is chewing on or trying to move to where the terri poo is sleeping. it doesnt happen often, but it does. so the GF flips out about it, and thinks she is handling it by spanking the terripoo., and gets mad at me whn i tell her not to because the terripoo (chloe) knows when she is in trouble. i never had to spank her once ever before because all i had to do was talk to her in a certain tone and she would repond. so now she gets mad at me because i am not doing enought to put chloe in line and teacher her whats wrong, and wont let her smack the dog
I have never ever had a need to physically discipline a dog. (Well, aside from a leash pull or something along those lines.) I don't think it's that abnormal what Chloe is doing towards the beagle. Dogs are usually good at establishing boundaries with each other. Chloe is just telling the other dog how close she can get and when she needs to back off. I think in time the beagle will learn. (Did I really just use beagle and learn in the same sentence?)

problem 3 is when we leave, we but the new pup in a kennel in our bedroom till she is full potty trained and put chloe in the same room, but not in a kennel. we live down stair in s split level at her parents house, so when some one comes home the dogs bark and chloe hops on the door and now its making her parents mad, they yell at her and then i get it.
Time out. You live with your girlfriend in her parents house? Times have changed a lot since I was kid and dads would shoot boyfriends for even thinking such things.

Anyway, keep Chloe in a crate as well. You need to train her to not bark and not jump around when you come in the door. Let her out and if she jumps ignore her and tell her to sit. When she has sat quietly for X amount of time, then greet the dog.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I was going to say that, but a GF that doesn't mind you moving in the P's house, with P's that let ya move in, with 2 dogs.. I mean cmon... What's the line about gift horses?

Need to get the plan straight with the GF and get on the same page, and smacking the dog isn't the right plan.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I was going to say that, but a GF that doesn't mind you moving in the P's house, with P's that let ya move in, with 2 dogs.. I mean cmon... What's the line about gift horses?
I only want to hang out with a woman who's smart enough to talk me out of such a foolhardy plan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What exactly do you mean by misplaced energy?
well, i talked to a dog expert with bart stoppers (a dog traing biz around here) and there was an small problem with another dog, and thats what i was told was the issue.

How long does she keep barking after the others have stopped?
for a couple minutes, and normal when i say her name in a firm voice, she will stop the barking and just growl a little. it doesnt bother me, but the GF still yells at her till she stops and and then say that chloe is testing her limits.yadda yadda yadda.....

I have never ever had a need to physically discipline a dog. (Well, aside from a leash pull or something along those lines.) I don't think it's that abnormal what Chloe is doing towards the beagle. Dogs are usually good at establishing boundaries with each other. Chloe is just telling the other dog how close she can get and when she needs to back off. I think in time the beagle will learn. (Did I really just use beagle and learn in the same sentence?)
i have never had to discipline chloe physically as long as i have owned her. she knows when she s in trouble and if not, when i say " what did you do ?" in a firm voice, she gets the idea. the GF says that's not good enough and i am not making the effort to train her correctly. when its just me and the 2 dogs, nothing seems to go bad, but when the GF is home, every hour at least there is a problem as far as she is concerned.

Time out. You live with your girlfriend in her parents house? Times have changed a lot since I was kid and dads would shoot boyfriends for even thinking such things.
yeah... it was her parents idea. i used to live in a city 35 min north of her house and she wanted to move in together... then i was layed of from my job.. so this was the next best thing.

Anyway, keep Chloe in a crate as well. You need to train her to not bark and not jump around when you come in the door. Let her out and if she jumps ignore her and tell her to sit. When she has sat quietly for X amount of time, then greet the dog.
i know i should i do that, but i keep forgetting to when i get home.

thank you for the ideas, anyone else about to help with ideas. everyone has been great. i just want to keep everyone happy, but the pup's are my first priority.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
1) Period of adjustment.

New situation creates new problems. Possessiveness doesn't typically resolve itself satisfactorily, but it's common enough to be considered normal. It needs to be dealt with, but not freaked out over. The GF's method for dealing is likely to make matters worse.

2) Get on the same page.

Get a workable plan and get everyone to execute it. Consistency is the key to changing behavior. This will test your people skills more than your dog training expertise.

3) Reasonable expectations.

A Poodle x Terrier cross makes noise. Within reasonable limits, you're just going to have to live with that. When I say that my Golden Retriever dog doesn't bark much, I am probably describing something very different from what a Poodle x Terrier owner means when he says the same thing.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
well, i talked to a dog expert with bart stoppers (a dog traing biz around here) and there was an small problem with another dog, and thats what i was told was the issue.
I still have no clue what "misplaced energy" means. If someone told me my dogs problem was misplaced energy I would want clarification on what exactly that meant.

for a couple minutes, and normal when i say her name in a firm voice, she will stop the barking and just growl a little. it doesnt bother me, but the GF still yells at her till she stops and and then say that chloe is testing her limits.yadda yadda yadda.....
Correct the dog when she barks too much. Sounds simple enough.

i have never had to discipline chloe physically as long as i have owned her. she knows when she s in trouble and if not, when i say " what did you do ?" in a firm voice, she gets the idea. the GF says that's not good enough and i am not making the effort to train her correctly. when its just me and the 2 dogs, nothing seems to go bad, but when the GF is home, every hour at least there is a problem as far as she is concerned.
I have a problem with your girlfriend then. It sounds like you're not even close to being on the same page with this dog and may have communications issues in your relationship.

yeah... it was her parents idea. i used to live in a city 35 min north of her house and she wanted to move in together... then i was layed of from my job.. so this was the next best thing.
Whoa. Second time out. You were laid off and your girlfriend's parents responded with, "Why don't you move in with us?" Gads I must be stuck in the stone age. Why when I was your age..............

i know i should i do that, but i keep forgetting to when i get home.
Get a post it note and put it on the outside of the door if you need to. Dogs need consistency.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
She might actually be right - for the wrong reasons, but right nevertheless. If her idea of discipline involves smacking the dogs around, then I'm betting that they're feeling fearful and anxious in her presence, and therefore even more likely to act out. More than that, your gf seems to be reacting to the dogs very emotionally; to a dog, that makes her erratic and unpredictable even if she doesn't actually strike them.

I think they might mean excess energy; how much exercise are the dogs getting? Terriers especially are high-energy breeds, and people tend to forget that Poodles are hunting dogs, not lapdogs. Most behavior problems see dramatic improvement with regular exercise. You'd be amazed at how much calmer dogs can be after an hour of fetch or frisbee.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
What about taking an obedience class together with your GF and Chloe? Then you can ask a trainer about her issues (the GF's or Chloe's I'm not sure :)

How does her beagle behave?

Tell your GF that physical punishment is out of the question, no ands ifs or buts. Would she like it if you whacked her when she misbehaved? (well maybe in a different context :) Aggression begets aggression IMO. I would try rewarding her for being quiet. If she hears something, and is just about to bark, get her attention and treat her. Not after she barks but when you know she's about to bark. If she stops barking for a few seconds, praise and treat her. Then if your GF does the same thing, praise and treat her too!

Maybe you should re=introduce the dogs - keep them separate for a bit and slowly introduce them. You and your GF need to talk and make some compromises on how you are going to discipline your dogs. But one thing that there is no compromise on is no hitting the dogs. Next time she goes to hit the dog, tell her to smack herself for even thinking about hitting the dog. If you two had a child, would she hit her child?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
This sounds alot like you and your girlfriend are the one's with the problems. This is not to be mean or confrontational but you two need to have a discussion about dog training, work out a plan and then work together to make it happen. Having a pet together is a huge test of your relationship and communication skills.
This misplaced energy thing and using punishment is just wrong. Barkbuster's is known for using dominance theory style training, though all the trainers I have met have only ever recommended very mild aversives rather than a "spanking" a dog..so I'm kind of surprised your girlfriend thinks smacking the dog is appropriate.

Your terrier is likely a puppy mill dog (coming from a pet store) and they often have their own special issues related to their beginnings and sloppy breeding practices. The most common being FEARFUL behaviour. Using physical punishment will only increase this behaviour.

Do some research, read The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson and For the Love of a Dog by Patricia McConnell and then have your girlfriend read them. These are both easy to understand, enjoyable books about what dogs in general are about, how their emotions work and their behaviours are NORMAL and how to understand them from a non dominance viewpoint.

For the actual issues.
The sticky note issue is good for a way to remind you about what to do when you return to let the dogs out of the room.
Start crating or xpenning the terrierx.
Start rewarding the dogs (all of them) for doing ANYTHING right and work out ways to manage the "wrong" by not setting them up so they can practice the behaviours. This involves some thought.

Here's how it works: Dogs do what works ..so no matter what they are doing (good or bad) it is working for THEM. You need to figure out how/why it IS working for them, and then change it so that the dog finds doing what YOU want them to do to be just as or more rewarding. This often involves food rewards. And then once you guys figure out the positive reinforcement thing start using it on each other...you may find it changes your relationship in amazing ways.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well the tip i got about putting the dogs in diff rooms since one is created and one is not worked great. when the two where in the same room, barking from both was a problem and chloe would jump on the door non stop( from what i have been told).

today when i came home.... silence. lucy ( the beagle) was silent and when i went to get chloe, she woke up and jumped off the bed and was read to go outside.

next.... i up'd the exercise for them today. normally it was a 2 1/2 hour walk. today we did a mile and a 1/4 jog and played on the beach and a jog back ( when i was rested enough to do it again. i am out of shape :p ). when we got home, today.. they played together and layed with one another on the floor, no problems.

i explained to the GF about the focus on no hitting and again expressed how i dont like it on any dog. she said "then how do you correct them when they do wrong? i have spanked every dog i have ever raised and never had a problem with it. doesnt make sense." then went on about how i been raising chloe is wrong and not working since she still barks a little more then she would like to hear.

this is what i tryed when she would bark lot today since we have been home, every time chloe would go on a barking spree, i would call her over and have her sit next to me... that would stop the barking and turn it into a little growling. not a big deal, so when she would growl.. i would say "no" in a regular voice, and she would look at me and stop. when she stopped the growling would call her into my lap and give her praise. if she would bark or growl while in my lap, she was set back on the floor and would have to sit next to me till she stopped again. seemed to work. thoughts on if its a good idea?

more or less, the GF thinks i have a "chloe can do no wrong" mind set when it comes to anything she does because i will not spank her and told the GF she cant. she thinks i let chloe push her limits, or get away with anything... like if she was "the fav child".

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
It sounds to me like Chloe is pretty well behaved. Barking can be an issue and you are working on stopping it when it is unwanted. Just because you won't strike Chloe does not make her the "favorite child" and your GF is being a bit immature about the situation. Unfortunately, I don't know that you will be able to change her mindset and it will be a problem in your relationship. It may come to making a decision of who you want more in your life, Chloe or the GF. I personally, would choose the dog, but then I'm a cynical woman...:rolleyes:

Good luck with Chloe's training (and the GF).

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
It make come to making a decision of who you want more in your life, Chloe or the GF. I personally, would choose the dog, but then I'm a cynical woman...:rolleyes:
Hence my original comment. I wouldn't choose a dog over my wife, but this disagreement may portend greater difficulty down the road (if there is a road). If you can't agree on the easy stuff, there is not much of a future for the relationship. Once you are married and have human children, the hard stuff can get really hard.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Hence my original comment. I wouldn't choose a dog over my wife, but this disagreement may portend greater difficulty down the road (if there is a road). If you can't agree on the easy stuff, there is not much of a future for the relationship. Once you are married and have human children, the hard stuff can get really hard.
I don't know if I'd choose my dog over a woman or not. I'd have to think long and hard about if the woman was worth it. The other point you made is very valid though. If you can't agree on how to train a dog, how will you agree on how to raise a child or how to budget your money?

·
Registered
246 Posts
If I was either one of the dogs, I'd bark at your girlfriend too. Hitting a dog only teaches it to not trust you. It does NOTHING to teach the dog what you want.

All the problems you've mentioned are easily solved, but both of you have to commit to a positive re-enforcement training regimen. And the first step to get the dog to trust you...stop hitting it.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I don't know if I'd choose my dog over a woman or not. I'd have to think long and hard about if the woman was worth it. The other point you made is very valid though. If you can't agree on how to train a dog, how will you agree on how to raise a child or how to budget your money?
I had a dog who was the BEST judge of men. If she didn't like a guy I was dating, 9 times out of 10 he wasn't worth my time (it just took me longer to figure it out!). ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts